Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 7:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abraham read the script, obviously!
Abraham read the script, obviously!
Though the story of how Abraham almost sacrificed Isaac Genesis 22:1-16 is a well-known one that transcends the three major world religions: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam. All three faiths, no matter the denomination, take this story to show how great Abraham's faith was in the Lord, that was willing to obey any commandment with blind obedience, even to the point of sacrificing his own son on an altar. Christianity even goes so far as to pair up this story and its symbollism to Christ's own atoning sacrifice for humanity...but in that version God actually kills his own son. Thinking

This would be a tremendously difficult thing for any loving father to undertake, that is, to kill one's own son. Imagine what would have happened if he had gone through with it! To all outside observers, Abraham would be convicted of premeditated murder. But the Bible would still paint a picture of him as the most perfect of the patriarchs, willing to lie (like telling Pharoah that his wife was actually his sister...even though she kind of was anyway, ew) and even kill (his own son or anyone else) for the Holy One of Israel.

If a person commits murder, but tells the public that the Lord told them to do it, not only would they be locked away for their heinous act, but they would also be labled crazy. Why was Abraham any less crazy for thinking that he heard God tell him to do it?

Obviously this man had no troubles with this act because the author knew the ending already! His character, Abraham, essentially read the script, so he knew before it happened that the Angel would come down and stay his hand. "Reading the Script" is a term movie and theatre critics alike use to reference how an actor or player telegraphed what to the audience that he/she already knows what's going to happen in a scene or in the plot. This is done by actions, words, and even inaction. The evidence for Abraham's foreknowledge, that he knew everything would turn out okay, was his actions. He's committed to his role as a storybook character, but not enough as to keep his knowledge of the author's intent a secret.

I can imagine Abraham getting to the point of sacrificing his son, and then the angel shows up a little late. Abraham: "Okay, Lord, all the preparations are complete. You can come out now! Come on! Where's your angel to stay my hand? You're missing your cue!"

Abraham was never going to murder his son, and Isaac was never in any real danger. They are characters in a book, and you can't punish or kill what's not there.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
RE: Abraham read the script, obviously!
I remember being taught this story as a child in religion class. Now, years later, I think it's horrendous that this story is taught to children as a good example of always obeying God. What if one of those children grows up to be a schizophrenic and hears voices in his head he attributes to God?

Of course it also requires one to ask the question as to why an all-loving god would put one of his most loyal followers through such an ordeal, let alone asking for human sacrifice to begin with.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Keen observations. Wink Shades Note also that Abraham did not take a ram to sacrifice. Therefore I submit that Isaac also read the script, because if he hadn’t, he’d be a dumbass to go with dear old dad to a blood sacrifice without considering his potential fate. Confused Fall
(August 2, 2013 at 2:06 pm)freedomfromfallacy Wrote: RE: Abraham read the script, obviously!

Keen observations. Wink Shades Note also that Abraham did not take a ram to sacrifice. Therefore I submit that Isaac also read the script, because if he hadn’t, he’d be a dumbass to go with dear old dad to a blood sacrifice without considering his potential fate. Confused Fall

Good point. Indeed, they both read the script, but I'd say that Abraham's dumbass son Isaac played his role more convincingly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnd_JOp-eBE
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

You have me wanting to re-read the story of Job now, to see if it was scripted.

Exodus is still air tight on truth though, right? I can't imagine the Pharoah could read Hebrew...
Oh, Job is totally scripted. The man probably hated his first kids, so when he got the new ones, he was like, "It was all worth it, yo."
(August 2, 2013 at 2:22 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Oh, Job is totally scripted. The man probably hated his first kids, so when he got the new ones, he was like, "It was all worth it, yo."

Heh...'yo'. Yeah...the Ebonics Bible would be entertaining, dawg.

'...and on the seventh day God said "fuck this shit, working for the man, it's time to crack a 40"....'

'...and it was good.'...
"...s'all good, dawg."
Can anyone come up with a 'scripting' for the Elisha-and-the-bears tale?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brahma and Abraham Fake Messiah 44 4138 September 21, 2020 at 5:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  For those who believe the god of abraham was behind the big bang or evolution android17ak47 49 8058 November 1, 2018 at 10:52 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2066 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Create a new monotheistic religion instead of clinging to the past of Abraham Kaloomi 68 9370 June 18, 2018 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  If God of Abraham is true, then why didnt he use his intelligent design to make a new Roeki 129 45201 July 9, 2017 at 2:11 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Why are the Abraham religions so interested in controlling people sexually NuclearEnergy 42 11160 June 21, 2017 at 11:27 am
Last Post: John V
  Theists: Can god read my mind? robvalue 27 6460 July 25, 2015 at 8:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Mormon Church Admits J Smith Didn't Translate Book Of Abraham JesusHChrist 54 13325 September 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: StealthySkeptic
  you can read how great the Pope is piotrniz 11 2636 September 7, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Anomaly of God ! (Read) reality.Mathematician 22 3863 June 20, 2014 at 4:58 am
Last Post: jesus_wept