Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Has Science Buried God?' @ Brisbane with Krauss
'Has Science Buried God?' @ Brisbane with Krauss
It's been approximately 2 or 3 million years since I last posted here.. but I just remembered that since I'm going to this tonight, it's probably worth asking you guys if you have any questions you'd like answered by Lawrence Krauss and William Lane Craig? I imaging there would be a Q&A thingo at the end.

Bit late to ask... but meh
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

RE: 'Has Science Buried God?' @ Brisbane with Krauss
I know they are going to hold this debate in Melbourne (where I live), however I have to say I have no desire to go to this debate. This is because, I am not a fan of debates full stop, indeed I have liked debates to masturbation on several occasions before.
undefined
Well unfortunately, this certain Christian Apologist was very average.. He reasoned that God needs no justification for killing children, for he is God. He also claimed that no Christian Apologist of any stature has used the 'God of the gaps' argument, and then went and did it three times in one sentence, about 5 minutes later. I could be slightly wrong about his claim, but it was pretty much along those lines, and certainly just as stupid.

Krauss was more enthusiastic than I've seen him in any online video, but it could have just seemed so, live.

I don't regret going, it's the first debate I've ever been to =S
And even more so now, after seeing this live, I understand why Dawkins doesn't debate these lunatics.
"We need not a God; just another human being to give life a meaning. For people are truly all people have" author unknown

The problem with debates is that it gives the crazies a voice. The problem with not doing debates is that many other crazies believe in the crazies on stage and haven't heard the opposing voice. There is actually people out there who has never heard the atheist side of the argument.

I like Krauss, did you get to ask him any questions?

There are a few things that I think shouldn't be debated. Creationism and pseudoscience are high high up on that list. I think it really negatively impacts the entire situation by even giving that much ground, people need to understand that their opinions do not alter facts. Dawkins doesn't debate creationism because he's a big name evolutionary scientist and he doesn't want to be on equal grounds with those idiots, I agree with his judgement.
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly.

There was no Q&A at the end.. it was just done with twitter and the mediator asked them.

I don't actually recall Creationism ever coming up.. it's as if Craig was sworn not to mention it. But I suppose it was never the discussion, no it was basically cosmology and answering the question "Has Science Buried God?"

(August 7, 2013 at 9:49 am)Scott Richens Wrote: Well unfortunately, this certain Christian Apologist was very average.

I thought WLC was supposed to be one of their top dogs?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 7, 2013 at 10:39 am)Faith No More Wrote:
(August 7, 2013 at 9:49 am)Scott Richens Wrote: Well unfortunately, this certain Christian Apologist was very average.

I thought WLC was supposed to be one of their top dogs?
Have you seen his debate? I have no background whatsoever in philosophy, haven't had interest in it, so it could be just me, but the moment he opens his mouth, it's all philosophy jargon from beginning to end. It's painful to listen to, I barely understood a word. I saw the one where he went against Sam Harris, who was very coherent, as always.
Yeah.. CityBibleForum really should have picked some other Christian Apologist for this tour..

He was laughed at quite a bit by my side of the hall..

(August 7, 2013 at 10:46 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Have you seen his debate? I have no background whatsoever in philosophy, haven't had interest in it, so it could be just me, but the moment he opens his mouth, it's all philosophy jargon from beginning to end. It's painful to listen to, I barely understood a word. I saw the one where he went against Sam Harris, who was very coherent, as always.

All I know is that several theists have attempted to tout his arguments as well-thought and authoritative. I thought he was supposed to be one of the big guns, so to speak, when it came to the theist side of the debate.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I think he is "one of the big guns" because his fans don't really understand what the hell he's saying, I doubt he even knows himself. It makes him look really educated or something, but anyone who is unable to properly deliver an argument, IMO, doesn't have an argument. He reminds me of this muslim debate guy that went against Krauss ... he is equally full of philosophical jargon except his stupid is more obvious.