Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello
Hi, I'm Rebe and I'm from South Carolina. I'm currently an undergrad in Virginia. Classics major, whoo! I also work at a library part-time. Other than ancient civilizations, I really like digital photography, hiking, indie bands, and poetry/literature. I'm a vegan, an introvert, and a cat person. Oh, and I write fanfic sometimes.
I find religion intellectually interesting, particularly Zen Buddhism, but I've been an atheist as long as I can remember. I was raised to be Presbyterian Christian.
Sadly, none of my close friends are atheist or even agnostic, so it gets lonely sometimes. I've come out to some of my friends, though, and they've been tolerant of it. The big hurdle is my fundamentalist parents. I'm trying to decide when to tell them, which is: probably not till after college, when I'm no longer counting on them to pay part of my tuition. I hate being in the closet, and I'm looking forward to coming out to them when the time is right, even if it will be painful.
Anyway, I guess that's about it, for now. I hope to read some interesting discussions on here!
RE: Hello
Welcome!
Guten Abend
Hello there.
Just one apricot? Buddhism favors closets I'm sure. Have fun in there Wink
(August 8, 2013 at 6:46 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Just one apricot?

Yeah, I'm not very hungry.
Welcome!
(August 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm)apricot-and-a-coffee Wrote: I really like digital photography, hiking, indie bands, and poetry/literature.

Wink Shades Why hello there...

(August 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm)apricot-and-a-coffee Wrote: I'm a vegan...

Never mind.

Welcome to the forum.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote:
(August 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm)apricot-and-a-coffee Wrote: I really like digital photography, hiking, indie bands, and poetry/literature.

Wink Shades Why hello there...

(August 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm)apricot-and-a-coffee Wrote: I'm a vegan...

Never mind.

Welcome to the forum.

Haha, thanks. Nice to meet you! I promise not to post anything about tofu...
Welcome to the forums. We have Apo, and now we have Apri.

I'm probably treading dangerous ground after that line.

(August 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm)apricot-and-a-coffee Wrote: I'm trying to decide when to tell them, which is: probably not till after college, when I'm no longer counting on them to pay part of my tuition.

But they're Christians! Surely they wouldn't...

Hah! Just kidding. I know how "Christian" Christian fundamentalists can be.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 5989 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3646 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates