Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Twist in the Climate Change Debate?
A New Twist in the Climate Change Debate?
A report in the UK edition of The Economist based on what it says is a leaked draft of the September IPCC report is claiming the IPCC is set to revise its estimate of Climate Sensitivity downwards.

Climate Sensitivity (the extent to which the world will warm as Carbon Dioxide levels rise) for a doubling in Co2 levels was set between 2 and 4.5 Deg C, the report says this will change to 1.5 and 4.5 Deg C. It was suggested that the reason for the change is that CO2 levels have been rising over the past decade without much surface warming.

Most scientists think this could be just a blip and other methods used to calculate climate sensitivity have not changed.

The Economist - Climate science: A sensitive matter

Whatever the reason this is likely to lead to further comments from pressure groups and individuals who argue against Climate Change as a result of Carbon Dioxide (and other) emissions.

The IPCC have neither confirmed or denied these figures.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: A New Twist in the Climate Change Debate?
Climate change deniers dont give a fuck if the science backs them up or not.

What motivates them is stuborn ignorance.
As long as the oil company's profits remain high they won't care.

[Image: sat_1979-2007_500.png]
(August 11, 2013 at 6:21 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Climate change deniers dont give a fuck if the science backs them up or not.

When I'm told the CIA working with the Mafia shot the guy who wrote the real report on climate change with a missile loaded on a 747 from a movie set that was used for the moon landings, I find it curiously compelling.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Nothing to see here, please move along...

Marine Life Affected

The New Normal

Sea Ice at Record Low Levels

Russia Experiences Great Burning

Headed for Rewable Energy? Think Again!

Arctic Sea Ice Disappearing at an Unprecedented Rate

As noted in the final article, "unprecedented." A word with which we are becoming all too familiar. I wonder, at what point does it just become precedented and shitty, all at the same time?

Don't even get me started.
I'm sure the few remaining polar bears will breathe a sigh of relief.
(August 11, 2013 at 6:21 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Climate change deniers dont give a fuck if the science backs them up or not.

Exactly. They don't give a shit, so long as they can pollute as much as they want.
Lots of problems with the analysis of the draft report done by The Economist. See the link for where they got it wrong.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/economis...ivity.html
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 12, 2013 at 10:26 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Lots of problems with the analysis of the draft report done by The Economist. See the link for where they got it wrong.

Interesting, thanks for the post.

MM

(August 12, 2013 at 10:26 am)popeyespappy Wrote: Lots of problems with the analysis of the draft report done by The Economist. See the link for where they got it wrong.

Even if The Economist amends/recalls it's report, the original will be sourced as scientific evidence that global warming 'taint all that bad'. The damage is done. I'd say the writers knew exactly what outcome they hoped to achieve presenting it.

Schmucks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5485 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 17045 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I am so sick of climate change deniers. Brian37 34 2949 November 23, 2020 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Can we recover from human caused climate change? Aroura 27 6900 November 23, 2020 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Climate Change and ecological collapse ph445 42 9281 August 3, 2017 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Various ways of fighting climate change dyresand 15 3384 April 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  When religion is at odds with climate change research Aegon 24 2806 December 28, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Will modern society slow the progress of change? Heat 11 2891 May 10, 2016 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Climate change Won2blv 56 11006 May 17, 2015 at 3:27 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Climate change skeptic turned proponent Surgenator 26 6534 February 19, 2015 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Surgenator