Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the fuss about voter supression about?
What is the fuss about voter supression about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptswiDHQf0E

Where I live, the local magistrate at which you are registered as a resident sends you a voting conformation letter (3-4 weeks before election), if you dont receive one you can call the magistrate and demand one. (if you still dont receive one you can sue the goverment for denying you your voting right.) When voting you have to take that letter with you and a photo ID to the polling station, after showing both to a commission set up by representatives of all political parties, independent observers and local authorities and they confirm your identity, you receive your ballot from that commision and can vote in a booth. So I must honestly say that I dont understand the fuss.

The only occasions of voter fraud and denial of voting rights I was aware of here, was a group of people who tried a sceem at various local elections by registering to be the residents of various different places in various different states and thereby receiving a big amount of voting conformation letters and then voting several times - and that sceem was exposed.

I am aware that there is still more racism in the South of the US, but I do not believe that any Southern state or better put: any governor and goverment of a Southern state, will risk the bad press resulting out of fixing a voting commission and voting requirements in such a way that people are denied the right to vote on the basis of color. I really dont think that it is a far strech to demand photo ID from a voter to confirm his identity.

There are things I find more disturbing about the US voting situation such as: Why do you deny former criminals the right to vote?
RE: What is the fuss about voter supression about?
Quote:but I do not believe that any Southern state or better put: any governor and goverment of a Southern state, will risk the bad press resulting out of fixing a voting commission and voting requirements in such a way that people are denied the right to vote on the basis of color.

Think again.

Quote:On Monday, North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory ® signed into law a massive voter suppression bill compiling numerous different provisions used to restrict voting in other states. Among other things, the bill includes a strict voter ID law, which will reduce turnout among minority, low-income and student voters. It will cut a full week of early voting, which is likely to depress turnout among low-income and African American voters. And it will prohibit certain kinds of voter registration drives, which tend to register low-income and minority voters.

Students, low-income voters and racial minorities, of course, tend to vote for Democrats. McCrory, and the lawmakers behind this bill, are Republicans.
(August 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I am aware that there is still more racism in the South of the US, but I do not believe that any Southern state or better put: any governor and goverment of a Southern state, will risk the bad press resulting out of fixing a voting commission and voting requirements in such a way that people are denied the right to vote on the basis of color. I really dont think that it is a far strech to demand photo ID from a voter to confirm his identity.

Then you are grossly naive of American politics and race relations in the U.S. For example, the reason the voter fraud legislation is being brought in is supposedly to suppress voter fraud, which is at such a low level in the places attempt to enact such legislation that to think it is an issue worth time and effort is ridiculous. When you combine that with the fact that the majority of the people negatively affected are minorities and that the majority of these minorities vote against the party of the politicians putting forth the legislation, it isn't hard to put two and two together.

And yes, you are correct that governors would not enact racist policies, that is unless their many of their constituents and their voter base don't have a problem with them.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 14, 2013 at 3:10 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I am aware that there is still more racism in the South of the US, but I do not believe that any Southern state or better put: any governor and goverment of a Southern state, will risk the bad press resulting out of fixing a voting commission and voting requirements in such a way that people are denied the right to vote on the basis of color.

Upon what do you base this belief?

Do you truly believe ANY governor or goverment of a southern state will refrain from employing any method required to exclude or minimize the participation of any parts of the population not favorably disposed towards them, so long as the methods are so constructed as to be able to remain effective long enough to influence the next election, and the governors and members of the government employing them would personally be relatively safe from serious criminal liability afterwards?
(August 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm)Chuck Wrote: Upon what do you base this belief?

Do you truly believe ANY governor or goverment of a southern state will refrain from employing any method required to exclude or minimize the participation of any parts of the population not favorably disposed towards them, so long as the methods are so constructed as to be able to remain effective long enough to influence the next election, and the governors and members of the government employing them would personally be relatively safe from serious criminal liability afterwards?

I am talking about officialy racist policies. Do you and Faith No More really think that a state goverment or governor of a Southern state would implement a law which is in it`s wording and enforcement officialy racist?
(August 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote:
(August 14, 2013 at 3:56 pm)Chuck Wrote: Upon what do you base this belief?

I am talking about officialy racist policies. Do you and Faith No More really think that a state goverment or governor of a Southern state would implement a law which is in it`s wording and enforcement officialy racist?

Yes, if it will get them elected or reelected.

If overtly racist wording would not serve that purpose, then they will craft laws duplicitously under one stated purpose, but is designed, based on electorate research, to disproporationally suppress participation by specific sections of electorate.
(August 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: I am talking about officialy racist policies. Do you and Faith No More really think that a state goverment or governor of a Southern state would implement a law which is in it`s wording and enforcement officialy racist?

If they thought they could get away with it, sure. The fallout would probably not be worth it, though.

Most politicians are crafty enough, however, to avoid having to deal with fallout from such policies by making them unofficially racist. Arizona enacted a law that allowed them to stop anyone suspected of being a immigrant to ask them for their immigration papers. How many people do you think they stopped because they believed them to be from Austria or England? That is exactly what the voter fraud legislation seeks to achieve, racist policies without obviously labeling them as such.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I really didn`t think that it would be that bad. I knew that the population in those ereas are my a majority still somewhere in the 1940s, but I guessed that in state politics one could still be concerned over ones national image beyond state borders.

So the stereotype further gives evidence for being not based on reality and not an biased notions?
(August 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: ...but I guessed that in state politics one could still be concerned over ones national image beyond state borders.

There is no national image too shameful for the ultra-religious. They believe everyone else has problems by looking down on them.

(August 14, 2013 at 4:21 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: So the stereotype further gives evidence for being not based on reality and not an biased notions?

It's still a false generalization. There are many people in the south that realize that racism is wrong, but there are enough racist assholes that it makes its way into legislation and much of that seems to be concentrated in the south.
Quote:I am talking about officialy racist policies. Do you and Faith No More really think that a state goverment or governor of a Southern state would implement a law which is in it`s wording and enforcement officialy racist?

In a New York minute. Stop putting it in the future tense. These fuckers have already done it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Pro voter tips. Gawdzilla Sama 0 157 October 21, 2020 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  US Voter Fraud Is Real! BrianSoddingBoru4 5 486 July 15, 2020 at 9:47 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  So Not Every WLB Voter Was a Racist Retard. Minimalist 16 1074 October 29, 2018 at 12:16 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  I'm a Florida voter now :huh: rexbeccarox 32 2790 August 31, 2018 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Actual case of voter fraud Doubting Thomas 10 1534 October 31, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Samantha Bee - The Result of Voter Apathy 2010 Minimalist 4 830 May 11, 2016 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Nork Voter Purge: Party afflliation of over 100,000 Democrats changed ReptilianPeon 5 1043 April 20, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Do the Wisconsin voter suppression law favour Sanders or Clinton more? ReptilianPeon 7 1476 April 6, 2016 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Kosh
  Voter ID laws and Marriage Heywood 33 5797 November 5, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  AH HA! An Actual Case of Voter Fraud... Minimalist 1 891 June 24, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle