Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello world!
Hello world!
Hey all,

Joined here to basically have a safe place to vent my frustrations without upsetting religious folk.

I'm a member of a quit smoking forum and the amount of prayers and work of god that seems to be going on in there is remarkable, obviously not the right place to start questioning their beliefs.

Equally at work, we have 2 creationist Christians and 2 Muslims... As you might expect, not the right place to talk about these things.

So here I am! From the UK. Never believed in the beardy gentleman upstairs and simply do not understand why anyone would.

I'm a regular viewer of the atheist experience on YouTube and watch a lot of Dawkins, Hitchins etc. Love science, physics in particular.

Any questions just ask!

Cheers
RE: Hello world!
Hello and welcome!

Yeah - the last thing you want to do is to question the faith of someone who is quitting smoking.

How are you doing with that? (The quit smoking thing)

Edit: You will still upset our local theists, but most of them can handle it.
Any spelling mistakes are due to my godlessness!
Hi and welcome. What part of the U.K. are you from because here in sunny Gosport there are hardly any people like that.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I live in Norwich. Currently at 197 days smoke free.

The work thing largely due to home countries of the employees. 1 American, 2 Nigerians, 1 Pakistan... All the British guys are atheist... One might be a Deist though!
You should flaunt your atheism, free thinking and rational approach to life. Maybe it would rub off. The time to keep quiet about your lack of belief for fear of upsetting the deeply religious has long since passed.

Unless of course you would be in fear of your life, in which case, keep quiet Panic
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(August 15, 2013 at 6:57 am)Deckard Wrote: I live in Norwich. Currently at 197 days smoke free.

Wow, that is impressive. Praise God! (Sorry, I had to Smile)

Gratz!
Any spelling mistakes are due to my godlessness!
Well its more down to upsetting people who are supporting you. Not really beneficial.

And I certainly do have the lord to thank for my quit!
Hi, welcome! 197 days is great, congrats!

hope you have fun here. I don't discuss religious things with people in real life either, unless they bring it up or attack my lack of belief, just not worth it.
Hello Deck and welcome to AF! ^_^

(August 15, 2013 at 6:32 am)Deckard Wrote: Joined here to basically have a safe place to vent my frustrations without upsetting religious folk.

Oh dear, we have a lot of theists aforum, but they are pretty used to what we're up to here Big Grin

Quote:I live in Norwich. Currently at 197 days smoke free.

Good job! Scruffy, my bf, is trying to quit atm, but it isn't going so well. He constantly sneaks out on the balcony to take drags on the butts left in the ashtray. I found a pile of empty boxes that he had gone through in hope of finding a fag, so I pointed to the pile and said if this is what nicotine does to him, I wish that he's never try any hard drugs. So I lift my hat off to anyone who manage to quit. Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome Deckard!

More than half a year smoke free?... you're cured!
Now get working on doing other things with those lungs to get them in top condition! Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello! Just need to commune with some fellow atheists in a religious world. Rosie_Rivets 11 1943 November 11, 2016 at 5:18 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Hello world Alexander The Great 27 2774 August 20, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: GUBU
Lightbulb Hello World Society 16 1794 April 29, 2016 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Hello World! FriendlyNeighborhoodAtheist 62 7817 May 15, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Alex K
  hello world DeadChannel 19 2079 January 10, 2015 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
Rainbow Hello World PerfectRecall17 21 2976 November 9, 2014 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: PerfectRecall17
  Hello world. FilthyMeat 27 2283 May 30, 2014 at 9:38 am