Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Two Atheists and Two Theists are most different?
Which Two Atheists and Two Theists are most different?
Pick two atheists that are as different from one another as possible.
Now pick two theists who are as different from each other as possible.

Atheists: Rythym and TeaEarlGrey

Theists: Drich and Fr0d0
RE: Which Two Atheists and Two Theists are most different?
Atheist- Me and Hitchens.

Theist- Mohammed and Jesus.
(August 17, 2013 at 10:49 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: Atheist- Me and Hitchens.

Theist- Mohammed and Jesus.
I kinda meant forum members otherwise its Aquinas vs Lao Tzu and Hume vs. Nietsche
Your rules, mate, not mine.
(August 17, 2013 at 10:56 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: I kinda meant forum members otherwise its Aquinas vs Lao Tzu and Hume vs. Nietsche

Lao Tzu isn't — as far as I know — typically regarded as a theist. While he did speak of Tian or heaven, it typically referred to a place to which one's ancestors went after departing, and from which they could, if they so chose, influence temporal affairs. That is the most prominent meaning of Tian in that time period, though it's a hard word to translate, and was undergoing change in its meaning throughout the Spring and Autumn period as well as the Hundred Schools period. Regardless, it doesn't correspond to the heaven of semite monotheism as a place created by a divine being for the habitation of his elect. Contemporary Taoism embraces both local gods as well as a pantheon of deities which have accrued since the time of Lao Tzu, but I don't think a good case can be made that the supposed author or authors of the Tao Te Ching were theists in the commonly understood sense. And contemporary religious Taoists are more henotheistic or polytheistic than monotheistic, as well as being religiously pluralistic (speaking of China proper). pineapplebunnybounce has posted on the various Chinese terms for God, the most commonly cited for this period being Shangdi, perhaps she can address the question more authoritatively. I don't recall anything like it being mentioned in the Tao Te Ching, but I haven't read it in anything but English translation, either.

If you have something specific you are referencing, aside from equating God with the Tao, please let me know. While equating God with the Tao might honor the apophatic tradition of Christian mystics, I think it would be doing violence to the original work, as well as to the Chinese philosophical tradition and dialectic of which it was a part. If you care to make that case, though, I'd love to hear it. I have numerous books of both source texts and secondary literature on the philosophy of that period, as well as a half dozen translations of the Tao Te Ching and the Zhuangzi which could use the dust shaken off them. (Alas, I don't have Star's translation which contains the modern Chinese text along with common translations of the characters. I have a bilingual copy somewhere, but I doubt I could locate it even if pressed.)

Regardless, little if any of his text appears to address theological issues, so I'm curious why you find him opposite Aquinas as a theist. In regard to god or gods he appears as agnostic as Confucius.

(I've got an essay detailing the various shades of meaning of 'Tian' in that period if you likie, I'll see if I can track it down. My normal workstation is down, so I'm going from memory.)

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Theists: Apophenia and Enrico. Two philosophers, but only one who wields it with grace and gives actual thought to matters discussed.

Atheists: Me and Minimalist. Age, gender and patience Big Grin
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Two atheists most different to each other: Minimalist and ITChick.

Two theists most different to each other: Ryaan and Godschild.

Atheist most different to onseself: TheSummerQueen.
Theist most different to oneself: fr0d0.

I purely felt like adding two more categories.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 727 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Let's be different Foxaèr 38 2342 August 17, 2023 at 12:38 am
Last Post: no one
  Which famous clone would you adopt? Fake Messiah 10 907 January 24, 2023 at 7:49 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Which TV game show would you win? Fake Messiah 6 803 January 18, 2023 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Which is worse? Foxaèr 13 590 February 23, 2022 at 8:59 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which one is the correct phrase? brewer 20 1782 September 21, 2021 at 7:20 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Which ancient thread of mine should I necro? Foxaèr 11 557 August 25, 2021 at 7:15 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Countries have different names in different languages Dundee 22 1955 June 26, 2021 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  A Different Brand of Idiot onlinebiker 39 1423 July 21, 2020 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2389 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13