Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 simple notes and questions.
2 simple notes and questions.
Improbable never means impossible.

Nothing's impossible?

And probable always means possible.

Everything's possible?
RE: 2 simple notes and questions.
Can you make 1+1=3?

or

Count all the atoms in a star from the Earth whilst unconscous?

or

Lick the back of your head within 1 second of reading this?

or

Count to a GoogalPlex in 1's within an hour?

or

Sit naked on a black hole with no ill effects?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Well not while living by these laws of the universe, but is it 100% impossible that some dimension jump or quantum leap or one of the many possible things could occur that could change the laws of mathematics and/or physics?

In a multiverse maybe some of the universes operate at different (but probably similar) laws to ours?

I don't think we can 100% know anything...how do we know that these laws are permanent? we only know that they've existed since the beginning of this universe.

I dunno lol.

You also said the following in my topic about paradox:

Quote:In the wonderful world of quantum physics the laws of nature are totally counter intuitive.

Quote:It's also normal for an effect to precede it's cause.

Quote:I think that you will find that the quantum world is the real thing and this reality we occupy with it's stars and galaxies and time running in one direction and cause and effect etc. is just a strange, transient side effect.

So maybe compatible with what you said here it COULD be POSSIBLE - atleast in some reality or universe if not this one - for the sum 1+1=3 to be correct?

Because after all it sounds like according to quantum physics numbers are an illusion....does it?

Have you contradicted your self?

Or not?

Thoughts?
Nope, you are quite right.

There is no reason at all why 1+1 cound not equal 3, 4 or any other number if the laws of nature dicated so.

Just because we cannot understand how this could be does not mean that it hasn't been realised somewhere or sometime.

So, I shall take a small step back and agree totally with you Big Grin
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(October 7, 2008 at 12:07 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Improbable never means impossible.

Nothing's impossible?

Everything's possible?
I disagree. If something is 100% improbable it is logically impossible. If something is 0% probable it is logically impossible. What you have done is throw definitions out of the window and try to make conclusions out of the remains. We know there are impossible things, simply because we know several Laws of the universe.
(October 8, 2008 at 3:30 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Nope, you are quite right.

There is no reason at all why 1+1 cound not equal 3, 4 or any other number if the laws of nature dicated so.

Just because we cannot understand how this could be does not mean that it hasn't been realised somewhere or sometime.

So, I shall take a small step back and agree totally with you Big Grin

Cool! lol.
Oh this is fun ... er ...

(October 7, 2008 at 8:05 am)Darwinian Wrote: Can you make 1+1=3?

Well it would require a redefinition of what either 1 or 3 is (and maybe how addition and equals happens but yes, it's possible Wink

(October 7, 2008 at 8:05 am)Darwinian Wrote: Count all the atoms in a star from the Earth whilst unconscous?

Extremely unlikely but not impossible I would say ... again depends on your definition of unconsciousness. Plus although we can't conceive of such a thing now, we may be able to one day.

(October 7, 2008 at 8:05 am)Darwinian Wrote: Lick the back of your head within 1 second of reading this?

If my tongue were long enough or I was very fast with a knife I guess Smile

(October 7, 2008 at 8:05 am)Darwinian Wrote: Count to a GoogalPlex in 1's within an hour?

Obviously I can :lol: Actually I can't but someone may be able to one day.

(October 7, 2008 at 8:05 am)Darwinian Wrote: Sit naked on a black hole with no ill effects?

Me no, but someone may be able to one day.

It comes down to one simple tenet, the things we believe are so, we believe are so because we observe them to be that way, many observations (many, many observations) and none that contradict those observations but all it requires is one observation to the contrary and we then know that what we believe is no longer correct ... I'm sure I teaching my grandmother to such eggs (ewwww ... stupid saying) but you get the point I hope, science is based on inductive reasoning.

Kyu
(October 7, 2008 at 12:07 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: Improbable never means impossible.

Nothing's impossible?

Everything's possible?

Probability and improbability are two components of any statistic law.

If you say that 50% of chain smokers of a certain group of people will die of cancer in the next 10 years that means the the probabilty of dying is 50% for all the members of the group but for a particular John it might mean to morrow ar in 20 years time.
The causality of the law is here expressed by the equation : "chain smoking=unnatural approaching of death.
On the margins of that equation we see the the improbability component which says that for a particular member the probability transforms itself in random improbability.
Religion is exploiting this randomness component in order to introduce the belief in Fate or more generally the belief that your live is controlled by the inscrutable will of God.
RD did not treat this aspect in his TGD(or may be I did not find something related to it).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  simple maths or simple minds? ignoramus 9 1097 April 6, 2021 at 11:25 am
Last Post: polymath257
  Solve this simple equation (help pls) ErGingerbreadMandude 46 7672 December 7, 2017 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A simple arithmetical challenge. Tiberius 18 5460 October 15, 2013 at 8:57 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  A simple question. Tiberius 55 23023 March 18, 2011 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Simple processes can't create complex patterns. lrh9 2 2109 September 14, 2010 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: lrh9
  A simple one Darwinian 14 4651 February 22, 2010 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Zhalentine