Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Syria: Chemical weapons kill hundreds in Ibrin
Syria: Chemical weapons kill hundreds in Ibrin
Fuck.... I would have never thought of Assad to be crazy enought to go that far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23777201

http://www.spiegel.de/international/worl...17848.html
RE: Syria: Chemical weapons kill hundreds in Ibrin
So much less humane than dropping napalm on them.

WTF is that sarcasm smilie when I need it?
I wouldn't put it past Assad to do this.

However, I also wouldn't put it past the rebels to do it, and blame Assad - or even stage the event, and blame Assad.

It will certainly be a story to watch - and tragic if true.
(August 21, 2013 at 2:13 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Fuck.... I would have never thought of Assad to be crazy enought to go that far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23777201

http://www.spiegel.de/international/worl...17848.html

If I were Assad, what would I be thinking at this moment?

I wouldn't think I need to be very crazy to gas my opponentss because I know it has already dawned on the liberal democracies how much more trouble they would be in if my enemies - many of whom would likely convert the skills acquired fighting me into blowing up trains in western capitals - win, then if I - who is murderous but more or less against those who would blow up trains in western capitals - win.

I also know Russia has stared down Saudi Arabia's infamous intelligence chief Prince Bandar - who with CIA achestrated western backed insurgency against the Soviets in Afghanistan - when Bandar came to Moscow three weeks ago to cojole and threaten Russia and demand Russian abandoment of Assad. I know Putin contemptiously rejected Saudi Arabia's attempt to bribe Russian arms industry with 11 billion dollars of new orders to back away from supporting me. I also know Russia has also stared down Turkey and threatened to whip up anti-Turkish sentiments in North eastern border of Turkey if Turkey was to continue to aid and abet western efforts to overthrow me. I also know Putin pointedly reminded Turkish prime minister Edogan that the West and Israel was willing to acqueice to the failed effort to overthrow him in a silent palace coupe a couple of month ago. So Russia is in it with me all the way, has hobbled one of my neighbors who had been against me, and had sent the main financier against me scurrying back to Riyadh.

So I would be pretty certain the turning point has already been reached and the wind is behind my back, and I should now do whatever it takes to reconqueror the country.

Let's face it, supporting Arab spring has been a colosal blunder on the part of the west.
I disagree, Assad has pritty much lost his rule, the question remaining is who will be his succesor.
He will certainly not be able to regain the rest of the country and even if he regains half, people in possitions of power will start questioning his capability to keep the country stable.

It is easyly possible that Assad is not even responsible for this recent attack and that his generals have started to act on their own behalf.
(August 22, 2013 at 7:32 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: I disagree, Assad has pritty much lost his rule, the question remaining is who will be his succesor.
He will certainly not be able to regain the rest of the country and even if he regains half, people in possitions of power will start questioning his capability to keep the country stable.

It is easyly possible that Assad is not even responsible for this recent attack and that his generals have started to act on their own behalf.

I think Assad has not lost, and at this point can be reasonably be assured of control over enough of the country in the medium term to make Russian interests in Eastern Mediterranean safe. It is not to say he may not be offered some kind of very comfortable retirement in the near future, but certainly his regime will survive, and Arab spring in his country won't.

As America become less dependent on energy import, its interests in the middle east will decline. Coupled with its increasing focus on containing China's ability to challenge its preeminance in East Asia, America's willingness and indeed capacity to check Russia influence western Asia is likely in long term declining.

China and Russia interests in west Asia probably coincide. Indeed China will probably do what it can to strengthen Russian power in Western Asia just to divert American interest away from East Asia.

No European power seem to have the capacity, the willingness, or the steadiness and perseverence to thwart Russia.

So the ability of Putin to effectively shape the outcome of Syrian civil war (probably with tacit collusion from Israel) suggests Russia is reemerging as the long term dominant outside influence in western Asia.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torture in The Middle East: memories from Syria's war. WinterHold 0 356 April 22, 2018 at 4:17 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  Did Trump bomb Syria to back up his live tweets on Fox & Friends on 4/10? Whateverist 1 502 April 18, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Bombing Syria is stupid, this is just gonna be like Iraq war Ruckus123 48 4608 April 14, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Mueller Closing In For The Kill Minimalist 27 2588 March 9, 2018 at 7:11 am
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Florida school shooting: FBI mishandled tip on gunman's 'desire to kill' WinterHold 7 1118 February 18, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Repealing the Affordable Care Act will kill more than 43,000 people annually Aegon 73 9574 January 26, 2017 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: Amarok
Thumbs Up Donald Trump manages to be more sensible on Syria than Hilary ReptilianPeon 118 8323 October 25, 2016 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: abaris
  It's Unconstitutional for the Police to Kill People Rhondazvous 70 6538 September 29, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Are Leftist, Feminist Kurds About to Deliver the Coup de Grâce to ISIL in Syria? nihilistcat 1 852 June 29, 2015 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  TX Republicans kill filibuster, essentially ending abortion in state TaraJo 58 18146 June 24, 2015 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: das_atheist