Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manning states, "I am female"
Manning states, "I am female"
Quote:One day after being sentenced to 35 years in prison for leaking vast archives of secret government files to WikiLeaks, Pfc. Bradley Manning said Thursday that he is female and wants to be known as Chelsea.

In a statement read on the “Today” show during an appearance by his defense lawyer, David E. Coombs, Private Manning said he had felt that he was female since childhood, a fact that was discussed during his court-martial.

“As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me,” the statement said. “I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition.”

Private Manning’s decision to live as a woman raises questions of how the Army prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., where he will be held, will respond. A spokeswoman for the prison recently told Courthouse News that the prison does not provide hormone therapy or gender-reassignment surgery. As is the case for all soldiers, transgender inmates are only eligible for psychiatric care, she said.

When asked whether Private Manning’s ultimate goal was to be housed in prison with women, instead of men, Mr. Coombs said, “No, I think the ultimate goal is to be comfortable in her skin and to be the person that she’s never had an opportunity to be.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/23/us/bra...emale.html

I have been a supporter of Manning since I first learned of his whistle blowing. Of course, since I pay little attention to the news, I learned of him months after the incident was made public via the media.

The fact that the country would punish him for exposing the corruption within our government only further engenders my distrust and dislike for this country.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Manning states, "I am female"
Is it possible that he might make this claim this so he will be transfered to a different prison, get some other legal benefits or to simply complicate legal procedures?
(August 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Is it possible that he might make this claim this so he will be transfered to a different prison, get some other legal benefits or to simply complicate legal procedures?

Already mentioned above:

Quote:When asked whether Private Manning’s ultimate goal was to be housed in prison with women, instead of men, Mr. Coombs said, “No, I think the ultimate goal is to be comfortable in her skin and to be the person that she’s never had an opportunity to be.”
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(August 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm)Maelstrom Wrote:
(August 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Is it possible that he might make this claim this so he will be transfered to a different prison, get some other legal benefits or to simply complicate legal procedures?

Already mentioned above:

Quote:When asked whether Private Manning’s ultimate goal was to be housed in prison with women, instead of men, Mr. Coombs said, “No, I think the ultimate goal is to be comfortable in her skin and to be the person that she’s never had an opportunity to be.”

TGAC's question is still valid. This tells us nothing.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(August 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm)Maelstrom Wrote:

Already mentioned above:

My question does not implicate any kind of judgement over Manning aswell as his actions.
The timing is a bit...suspicious.
(August 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: The timing is a bit...suspicious.

This was all discussed during the court-marital, including photos of him dressed as a woman. It's highly likely he was advised by his lawyer to avoid publicly mentioning this until sentencing was over.

The thing that sickens me is that someone believed this was relevant evidence for his court-martial. He should be judged on his actions alone.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(August 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm)Faith No More Wrote:
(August 22, 2013 at 4:26 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote: The timing is a bit...suspicious.

This was all discussed during the court-marital, including photos of him dressed as a woman. It's highly likely he was advised by his lawyer to avoid publicly mentioning this until sentencing was over.

The thing that sickens me is that someone believed this was relevant evidence for his court-martial. He should be judged on his actions alone.

Depends on the dress.
Welll, assuming this is genuine, I hope it all works out for him.
(August 22, 2013 at 4:35 pm)Faith No More Wrote: The thing that sickens me is that someone believed this was relevant evidence for his court-martial. He should be judged on his actions alone.
I believe it was the defense that used it, to show that he was in a fragile mental state and stressed, so therefore more likely to have acted without properly thinking about the consequences.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 3803 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1086 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3318 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3018 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Seven states bar people with a criminal record from receiving victim's compensation Angrboda 34 2222 September 23, 2018 at 5:16 am
Last Post: viocjit
  Impeachment process in the United States Joods 18 3168 October 31, 2017 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: henryp
  44 States Minimalist 35 9910 July 7, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Voting Machine Hack Confirmed Across 39 States Foxaèr 3 1298 June 16, 2017 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Chelsea Manning, a hero, thanks Obama Foxaèr 3 1081 June 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Anyone notice Blue states tend to me more fiscally responsible? NuclearEnergy 25 3434 March 1, 2017 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious