Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 4:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religious beliefs need to stop.
Religious beliefs need to stop.
If you haven't seen this or read the book, or even if you've done both, it's a fantastic video to watch, and/or watch again.

To the religious people on here, I am genuinely interested in hearing about the problems you find with what's presented here.

RE: Religious beliefs need to stop.
The problem is Sam Harris is right up his own bum and he attacks strawmen not the genuine Christ.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
Never have I heard a more polite insult.

Right up his own bum.

Lol.
(August 25, 2013 at 9:56 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: The problem is Sam Harris is right up his own bum and he attacks strawmen not the genuine Christ.

Do you have a particular objection to something he said? I have to say, if there's a Christ other than the one that's in The Bible, I am unfamiliar with it. That's the one he spoke directly about, and cited Bible verses from both the old and new testament (as if it mattered).
Timely thread for me. I just got back from
the coffee shop where I was re-reading this
exact book. Awesome!

I was seated in a coffee shop where a lot
of my former christian friends still get coffee,
and I ran into the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I saw dudes who kicked me out of one
church. I saw dudes who love me (I think).
And I saw dudes I haven't seen in years.

I'm thinking about attending church
with my wife today. Let me think about
it.....

HELL NO! Devil

I (strong language) christians - most anyway.
Quote:he attacks strawmen not the genuine Christ.

Caution: Dump Truck Sized Load of Bullshit Coming!
(August 25, 2013 at 9:56 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: The problem is Sam Harris is right up his own bum and he attacks strawmen not the genuine Christ.
(bold mine)

There is such a thing? I say it's horse shit. All of it.
2 Thessalonians 1

(1:7-9) “In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God ... who shall be punished with everlasting destruction.” Jesus will take "vengeance on them that know not God" by burning them forever "in flaming fire."

...This the Christ you think is morally perfect?
Quote:Do you have a particular objection to something he said? I have to say, if there's a Christ other than the one that's in The Bible, I am unfamiliar with it.

Seek him and you shall find. Confusedhock:

Sam Harris won't find him while he's beavering away up his own bum though, he needs come out into the light.

Quote:That's the one he spoke directly about, and cited Bible verses from both the old and new testament (as if it mattered).

But not the genuine Christ so anything he's talking about I can just agree with. There is some terrible stuff in the Bible but that's because our moral standards have actually improved since then. They improved for a good reason, and it's not because of science.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
(August 25, 2013 at 11:06 am)Sword of Christ Wrote:
Quote:Do you have a particular objection to something he said? I have to say, if there's a Christ other than the one that's in The Bible, I am unfamiliar with it.

Seek him and you shall find. Confusedhock:

Sam Harris won't find him while he's beavering away up his own bum though, he needs come out into the light.

Quote:That's the one he spoke directly about, and cited Bible verses from both the old and new testament (as if it mattered).

But not the genuine Christ so anything he's talking about I can just agree with. There is some terrible stuff in the Bible but that's because our moral standards have actually improved since then. They improved for a good reason, and it's not because of science.

No, how can it be science? It has to be God! The same one who forgot to tell those bible writers how to be moral suddenly remembered and told us. Of course, how logical, how did all of us miss this?!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How often do your beliefs change? Ahriman 37 2739 January 23, 2022 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  My views on religious doctrine and beliefs robvalue 9 957 October 2, 2018 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Cod
  Why Do Atheists Criticize People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 225 51736 June 5, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What would you call my new beliefs? Won2blv 88 11814 March 6, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Nonpareil
  Why did we stop inventing gods? Greatest I am 58 5663 August 16, 2016 at 12:33 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  More insight into religion: logical and emotional beliefs robvalue 22 3420 August 16, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What is it with Christians here in the U.S. with shoving their beliefs on everyone GoHalos1993 12 2549 May 19, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How Do We Respect Other People's Beliefs? Rhondazvous 93 17791 September 10, 2015 at 11:23 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Believe in hell? well you might want to stop dyresand 6 3080 January 14, 2015 at 3:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Confused about evangelical beliefs Rampant.A.I. 5 1687 July 11, 2014 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Jenny A