Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Euthenasia
Euthenasia
I didn't really know where else to put this subject and since it can be a political topic I figured this was a good place. Anyways- 'mercy killing' - Do you agree with it? Why or why not? and what restrictions do you think should be placed?

Personally I think anyone in their right mind who is capable of making the decision should be able to end their own life. Of course if the person is not capable of making the decision I don't think it should be allowed because then it gets messy with families that want their inheritances early, don't want to take care of the loved one, and so forth.

We just watched this really good spanish film in Ethics called The Sea Inside about the subject and I really reccomend it. It was a really touching movie.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
RE: Euthenasia
(October 3, 2009 at 6:56 pm)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: I didn't really know where else to put this subject and since it can be a political topic I figured this was a good place. Anyways- 'mercy killing' - Do you agree with it? Why or why not? and what restrictions do you think should be placed?

The issue is not whether we should legalize "mercy killing." The issue is whether we should allow the terminally ill to hasten their own demise. I am unaware of anyone wanting to legalize the murder of the elderly.

As a volunteer counselor for "Compassion and Choices," my job is to counsel the terminally ill person and provide them the information they need to hasten their departure. I do not kill them. But yes, you may argue that I give them the information they need to get the job done themselves, in a painless, yet very effective way.

That should be legal.
Everyone has a right to life, and that same right gives them to right to die if they so wish.
lol, I wasn't aware that the term 'mercy killing' was used to mean killing the elderly. Of course I do not think we should kill the elderly. I meant someone being able to take their own life (or having someone else take it if they cannot physically do so).
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
(October 3, 2009 at 7:11 pm)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: lol, I wasn't aware that the term 'mercy killing' was used to mean killing the elderly. Of course I do not think we should kill the elderly. I meant someone being able to take their own life (or having someone else take it if they cannot physically do so).

As with every other agenda of the religious community, it is important to describe something you are against in a demagogic way that will inflame the passions of your audience. Thus, assisting the terminally ill must be described as "killing" them, in some way or another.

We see the same phenomena with many issues. For example, the abortion issue. Aborting a fertilized egg is described as "murdering a baby."

They want to put us on the defensive and keep us there.
"I'm for anything that gets the freeway moving faster."

-- Bill Maher
(October 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Everyone has a right to life, and that same right gives them to right to die if they so wish.

Agreed.

It is only fair that they be allowed to end their suffering sooner rather then later.
The dark side awaits YOU...AngryAtheism
"Only the dead have seen the end of war..." - Plato
“Those who wish to base their morality literally on the Bible have either not read it or not understood it...” - Richard Dawkins
(October 3, 2009 at 7:08 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Everyone has a right to life, and that same right gives them to right to die if they so wish.

I agree. More governments should make assisted suicide legal.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
Until we treat ourselves as we treat animals at their end we are not really civilised.
Animals cannot decide for themselves when it is time for them to be put down so we,
in our humanity and our caring attitudes decide for them.
We make a judgement as to whether their qualityof life and suffering is such that it is time to end it.

I have never seen any arguements against that approach to animals.

To me it therefore follows that we take the same approach to ourselves.
It is our own life and if we decide that our suffering is too great then we should be able to end it in a compassinate manner.
If your God considers this a sin then that is more evidence what a monster he really is.
Albert.
"People are like black holes. They are self centred!"
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans!"
"If the Buck stops here, how can the Doe go all the way?"

(Albert's original quotes)
All it takes is one bullet to the brain... or one severe knife wound to the throat... or one easy leap off of a tall building.

Why would one need assistance to kill themself? The methods by which to die each day are innumerable. If one desires peace eternal... what is minor ordeal to stay their will? Life is a glass cannon... it fights hard to maintain its own fragile existence... and delicate life is easily shattered.

There is no such thing as a mercy killing... for mercy is in showing compassion and forgiveness toward those within one's power to punish or harm. To kill someone because of their misery? This is a killing forged from pity. Killing cannot be done by mercy... and one of the most common shows of mercy is in not killing when one could.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day