Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations
MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations
Is this a blow to the Lamdba-CDM, THE standard model of Big Bang cosmology? MOND was able to correctly predict the existence of certain dwarf galaxies. Recent observations have confirmed this prediction. Note: MOND does not need Dark Matter to explain the anomaly in the stars galactic velocities.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.5894v1.pdf

http://blog.case.edu/think/2013/08/28/mo...servations
RE: MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations
Very interesting, but mostly beyond my scope of knowledge.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
The problem with Modfied Newtonian Dynamics, the idea that there is a break in the intensity of gravity at very low accelerations, is that if it works, we still don't know why it works. It kind of resolves the Dark Matter issue, though.
(August 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The problem with Modfied Newtonian Dynamics, the idea that there is a break in the intensity of gravity at very low accelerations, is that if it works, we still don't know why it works. It kind of resolves the Dark Matter issue, though.

That it would, but as far as I'm aware it has no answer for accelerated expansion ("dark energy"). In addition, the theory swaps one unknown for another, as you imply. I'm staying on the fence for now.
(August 30, 2013 at 5:28 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: The problem with Modfied Newtonian Dynamics, the idea that there is a break in the intensity of gravity at very low accelerations, is that if it works, we still don't know why it works. It kind of resolves the Dark Matter issue, though.

Yes, indeed a strong point that MOND has over Dark Energy models is that it can make prediction, while DE can't as you have to figure what is the ratio DE/(ordinary) M for each galaxy, but MOND has one universal equation applied to every single galaxy. But as you've stated, the drawback is that they have to postulate a threshold acceleration. And to be a viable theory, it would need to explain this threshold. I don't think GR can help in that regard. But who knows!
(August 31, 2013 at 10:24 am)little_monkey Wrote:

Yes, indeed a strong point that MOND has over Dark Energy models is that it can make prediction, while DE can't as you have to figure what is the ratio DE/(ordinary) M for each galaxy, but MOND has one universal equation applied to every single galaxy. But as you've stated, the drawback is that they have to postulate a threshold acceleration. And to be a viable theory, it would need to explain this threshold. I don't think GR can help in that regard. But who knows!

Given the small magnitude of the threshold, maybe quantum mechanics would be a better place to look for the cause.

If I recall, excess mass implied by dark matter, but not MOND, is corroborated by several other lines of evidence, including behavior of galaxy clusters, gravitational lensing, and gravity induced redshifts. As I recall, these phenomenon behave inside the range predicted by dark matter, but outside the range consistent with MOND.
(August 31, 2013 at 4:37 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(August 31, 2013 at 10:24 am)little_monkey Wrote: Yes, indeed a strong point that MOND has over Dark Energy models is that it can make prediction, while DE can't as you have to figure what is the ratio DE/(ordinary) M for each galaxy, but MOND has one universal equation applied to every single galaxy. But as you've stated, the drawback is that they have to postulate a threshold acceleration. And to be a viable theory, it would need to explain this threshold. I don't think GR can help in that regard. But who knows!

Given the small magnitude of the threshold, maybe quantum mechanics would be a better place to look for the cause.

QM doesn't deal with acceleration at all. So nix that.Big Grin

Quote:If I recall, excess mass implied by dark matter, but not MOND, is corroborated by several other lines of evidence, including behavior of galaxy clusters, gravitational lensing, and gravity induced redshifts. As I recall, these phenomenon behave inside the range predicted by dark matter, but outside the range consistent with MOND.

These are not predictions as such, but DE does explain these phenomena quite well. That's why I don't see a paradigm shift. Dark matter is here to stay for quite a while.
This is out of my league in Physics, but I know one thing: we must gather more evidence to remove the ambiguities. The problem is that in these times, little spending is done in getting that evidence, profit being the drive for research. In other words, the invisible hand of the market uses money for wanking.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 544 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning TubbyTubby 8 2357 March 3, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  13.2 Billion Year Old Galaxy Minimalist 27 5220 September 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Honey, I Blew up the Galaxy AFTT47 0 694 March 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Global Warming: Long term observations yield unsurprising results popeyespappy 55 9518 March 14, 2015 at 7:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Red Dwarf, Binary Systems ezekiel 24 3318 September 5, 2014 at 6:05 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 716 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1593 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Binary brown dwarf discovered 6.5 ly from Earth, closest in a century. Jackalope 13 5342 March 31, 2013 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  NGC 2683, The UFO Galaxy, in Lynx orogenicman 0 1142 February 26, 2013 at 5:00 am
Last Post: orogenicman