Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists believe in themselves?
Atheists believe in themselves?
So this is a new one for me...There is a super religious lady at work who I generally avoid talking to so she is not aware that I am an atheist. She was talking to another person at the desk next to me about all sorts of really nonsensical religious nonsense when all of a sudden this comes out of her mouth:

"all people are religious to some extent. They just might not realize it. Even Atheists are religious. They believe in something too. They believe in themselves.".

WTF?

I wonder if this means I can refer to myself as God now.
RE: Atheists believe in themselves?
What she said is profound and correct. Think about it more. And keep thinking about what is "you".
(August 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: What she said is profound and correct. Think about it more. And keep thinking about what is "you".

Why don't you enlighten us?
I absolutely believe in myself. I have evidence that I am real, too.

It's her stupid fucking sky-daddy that I consider an absurd brain fart of primitive men.
(August 31, 2013 at 10:40 pm)mostlysilent Wrote: So this is a new one for me...There is a super religious lady at work who I generally avoid talking to so she is not aware that I am an atheist. She was talking to another person at the desk next to me about all sorts of really nonsensical religious nonsense when all of a sudden this comes out of her mouth:

"all people are religious to some extent. They just might not realize it. Even Atheists are religious. They believe in something too. They believe in themselves.".

WTF?

She wass just left of the nail. Not everyone is religious, but we all believe in something(Not neccessarily with faith). For example, I believe that all people should work to make the world a better place in whatever way suits them best.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(August 31, 2013 at 10:40 pm)mostlysilent Wrote: So this is a new one for me...There is a super religious lady at work who I generally avoid talking to so she is not aware that I am an atheist. She was talking to another person at the desk next to me about all sorts of really nonsensical religious nonsense when all of a sudden this comes out of her mouth:

WTF?

It doesn't make much sense to me, all of my senses tell me I'm here, I'm thinking, I'm typing and I'm breathing, even if I was extremely horrified about something and repeatedly said to myself "I'm not really here" and tried to believe I'm not here my senses would still tell me I'm here.
This is like the opposite of religious belief, religious people can go to church or israel or mecca or wherever and pray as much as they like and wish heaven exists as much as they want but the reports of people seeing, feeling, smelling, tasting, hearing god, heaven or whatever are few and far between.

It doesn't matter what I believe my senses insist I'm here, healthy sane peoples senses insist god doesn't exist but wishful thinking and belief in religious documents and hearsay insist there is a god.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Sometimes... I'm a god... other times, I'm a simple shy geek sort of guy...
This schizophrenia does take its toll...
(August 31, 2013 at 11:38 pm)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote:
(August 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: What she said is profound and correct. Think about it more. And keep thinking about what is "you".

Why don't you enlighten us?

Retrace your footsteps. When did you believe in a praise objectively? When did you see it's true value?

We been reacting to our parents praises, tv praises, teachers praises, and we are all in a box, picking out of praises that differ, and often contradict each other, but all don't measure exactly the same way.

If you knew praise objectively, why do people differ to your view points, have a different sense and taste? What makes you right and others wrong?

That said I have realized everything I think I know about others and myself maybe wrong.

When did you fully distinguish between knowledge and belief, and when did you really care to know to distinguish falsehood from truth.

And when you question how you know anything from praise/honour/beauty perspective, you have to ask, when and why did you perceive that and why?

It was a few days ago I saw a person that was covered with all tatoos, there was a single part of his face, neck, arms, legs etc but was covered to tatoo. Not even a small separation.

What happens if one day he thinks he did the wrong decision?

He made a decision, but what lead to his decision. To want to be totally free, is to enslave yourself to chaos.

You may chose as you will, but do you will as you will? Do you will according to what? Your best interest? Others best interest.

When we are a slave of passions, we become totally blind to other viewpoints that contradict our personality/path.

Still, the biggest question is, what you see in the people you hate/deem enemies/deem bad/you belittle, is it truly missing from you?

Still, when you think these thoughts, how distressed are you about knowing the truth? How much does it matter?

The reason people can't cure madness, is because to do so, they have to have cured themselves first.

I can't show you yourself or tell you how to wield the divine sword in the soul, because I haven't done it myself and I'm not sure if I do it myself, that I can even teach how to others.

I know there is a divine sword, but I know there is many false swords, and I have yet to find the divine sword/the master sword.

When I was a kid, I wrote a story about the "the quest for the golden sword", I think it was three friends went in a dungeon, and had to kill a monster, but I don't recall the conversation I put.

It was odd, they had to go fight the monster and subdue it, but could only kill it, when they found the golden sword.

I don't know why I wrote a story about that, instead of a love story.

I don't know why when Link pulled the sword out of the temple of time, it had such emotionally impact on me.

Every society might have a gem stone we have to get from them. They have some treasure and that's what binds them together.

But to to pull out the master sword, we need unite the treasures of the cultures out there.
What are you smoking and where can I get some?
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(September 1, 2013 at 8:55 am)MysticKnight Wrote: When I was a kid, I wrote a story about the "the quest for the golden sword", I think it was three friends went in a dungeon, and had to kill a monster, but I don't recall the conversation I put.

It was odd, they had to go fight the monster and subdue it, but could only kill it, when they found the golden sword.

Gold would be a horrible metal for a sword. Heavy as crap and soft.

It would be practically impossible to keep an edge on it.

Don't have to worry about rust but totally not worth it.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How many of you atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory? Authari 95 5182 January 8, 2024 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Do atheists believe in the existence of friendship? KerimF 191 9924 June 9, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Who do not atheists believe? Interaktive 12 2328 March 25, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  scripture says we atheists believe in god android17ak47 17 3208 October 21, 2018 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Fireball
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2196 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists only: Do you believe in Absolute/Universal Truth? Tsun Tsu 29 9213 October 31, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 8811 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How atheists can still believe in God? Foxaèr 9 2867 May 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Atheists... why do you believe that God doesn't exist? fr0d0 356 52393 May 3, 2014 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Argument #2: What atheists believe truthBtold 2 1331 May 1, 2014 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: LastPoet