Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 1:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of an era, Fletcher's turn.
End of an era, Fletcher's turn.
[Image: 9530228287_d65a03e7d1_c.jpg]

My old dog Fletcher, whose mug graces my avatar pic, is ready to check out. He has stopped eating anything, is breathing hard and is too weak to walk more than 10 or 20 faltering feet. But I took him for a ride in the wheelbarrow today and he held his head up on the way and for a while once we got there. I either had to have the vet come today to put him down or wait until Tuesday, after our Labor day holiday. I'm glad to know that decision is unavailable this weekend. But it is time to say good bye before his difficulty breathing causes him to die of suffocation. That would not be a nice way to go.

[Image: 9642338980_b83f09029e_z.jpg]

[Image: 9642344704_a195a265b2_z.jpg]

A week ago he could still walk around the block to the park on his own and make it down to the creek for a soak.

[Image: 9542485148_746fa7b2ab_z.jpg]

He is laying on the couch beside me now and it feels good to bask in his company a little longer. The last dog I put down was 15 and a half. Losing Sophie was like losing a dutiful daughter. She was proud to follow every command and even enforced the rules with new dogs that came into our home. Fletcher is very different. He is his own dog. Has never understood the concept of a command. Ever since Lia's aunt and uncle brought him home as a pup when they were in their early 80's (at our suggestion), I think Fletcher had the idea that a command was an invitation for oppositional play. He is 14 years, 2 months old. More would have been nice, but it is all a bloody miracle, in the non-religious sense of course.

What has made his rogue behavior acceptable is his social grace and confident but benign temperament. He is affectionate, but he's a giver. You can only pet him a little and he'll grab your hand and try to wash your freckles off with his tongue. My god but I'll miss his foot baths. He would wash between every toe and make my feet just tingle after a long walk. He is the kind of dog that makes you proud to be his friend and I'm sure he has changed the way I will interact with other dogs from now on. He has also been one hell of an example of how to approach life on your own terms and to revel in every moment. He'll be missed but I've learned too much from him to let that get me down.
RE: End of an era, Fletcher's turn.
Sorry for your loss. He looks like a magnificent companion.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
My thoughts are with you Whateverist. There's never a good time for this, but there is a right time.
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(September 1, 2013 at 12:46 am)whateverist Wrote: He'll be missed but I've learned too much from him to let that get me down.

[Image: H8fcpvl.jpg]
Oh no, I feel so bad for you. These past few years, my parents have lost many dogs, too. They lost their last one to kidney failure last year, and the one before that just died in his sleep back in 2009. You know what they say: Don't give your heart to a puppy because he or she will break it when they die.
My sincere condolences, whateverist.
Good bye Fletch.

I never met you but I'll miss you.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Oh Fletcher! I'm so sorry Whateverist! Sad
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Sorry for your impending loss, Whateverist. I know what you're going through.

I've shed more tears over dogs than I ever have over humans.

Good bye, Fletcher.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
He's a handsome boy but you are doing the right thing.

We treat animals so much more humanely than people sometimes.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is modern era comfortable, but empty? Macoleco 40 2565 January 4, 2023 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  The Poll To End All Polls no one 12 1026 February 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Yonadav
  Do you know why the end of the month is still too far away? Foxaèr 15 2386 April 22, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The end of this month cannot come fast enough Foxaèr 22 4341 April 15, 2018 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: c172
  At the end of my tolerance notimportant1234 4 487 January 26, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: notimportant1234
  Biological Strategy to end Racism chimp3 46 3699 September 26, 2016 at 12:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My turn -- Post Here And I'll Tell You What I like About You Edwardo Piet 43 5792 August 16, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Ghost Busters 2 - End of the world dyresand 4 890 February 15, 2016 at 2:06 am
Last Post: dyresand
  How will the planet end? Aoi Magi 34 3968 August 21, 2015 at 12:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Well all good things must come to a end dyresand 13 2724 August 9, 2015 at 7:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus