Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 10:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Having nightmares
Having nightmares
I think I have mentioned it a couple of times before, I suffer from nightmares which keep reapearing under different circumstances. In most of them I relive some unfortunate events from my childhood. My father who had a horrific childhood with a really horrible father himself suffers from the same problem. But unlike him mine are not so bad that I wake up screaming or at least I dont scream. I mostly wake up somewhat arround midnight or 2 am, covered in sweat, grasping for air and in some circumstances still affraid. People who have slept in the same bed with me have told me that I sometimes start talking in a begging way and that I sometimes start kicking and slapping arround with my hands and feet a few moments before I wake up.

I never undertook any kind of professional therapeutic effort to somehow deal with this problem of mine. I think I simply got use to it and that the incidents simply became less as my living conditions betterd. When this problem started when I was arround 15 years old it catapulted me into a really bad situation. I was so affraid that I refused to go sleeping and often lay in bed awake for hours. Often simply falling asleep after one or two days without sleep out of pure exhaustion. In recent years they have become less and less and only appear when I find myself in a state of depression, which can happen once every 2 months or once every month for a couple of days or a week. When it happens (like in the past 2 days) I usualy dont stay in bed very long, I get up very early and hardly sleep 4 hours. And continue life without trying to bother with this at all. After all, no one remembers ones sleep during the usual path of the day anyway.

I have no interest at all in having this problem professionaly treated and I am pritty much aware of what caused it. Lots of people have nightmares in which they revisit more or less traumatising events. I have no interest in revisiting those events by talking them over, but I would be interested in knowing if I am the only one here with such a problem and how you manage it.
RE: Having nightmares
Seems more like night terrors than nightmares.

I have never experienced anything of that nature, however.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(September 1, 2013 at 10:14 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Seems more like night terrors than nightmares.

I have never experienced anything of that nature, however.

What is the difference?
(September 1, 2013 at 10:16 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: What is the difference?

A nightmare is just a bad dream. A night terror is when you wake up from sleep to discover that you have been screaming or acting out the dream physically.
~ Erin Hunter
(September 1, 2013 at 10:19 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: A nightmare is just a bad dream. A night terror is when you wake up from sleep to discover that you have been screaming or acting out the dream physically.

Is that the term really being used or an exaduration?
(September 1, 2013 at 10:22 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Is that the term really being used or an exaduration?

Night terrors are real. That is the term used.

Information on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-terrors/DS01016
~ Erin Hunter
You don't have to go into details, but why is it that you are not interested in treating the underlying issues? As far as I know, managing night terrors means just trying not to let them bother you.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 1, 2013 at 10:23 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: Night terrors are real. That is the term used.

Information on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_terror
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-terrors/DS01016

I really cant tell if that is it, since I am not able to observe myself whilest I am sleeping. Especialy things such as my eyemovement are something I cant watch while sleeping.

(September 1, 2013 at 10:26 pm)Faith No More Wrote: You don't have to go into details, but why is it that you are not interested in treating the underlying issues? As far as I know, managing night terrors means just trying not to let them bother you.

I am aware of the events and people who caused them and I have always been a person who has been somewhat proud of the things that he has accomplished by himself despite the hardships I have encountered. Therapy of such a thing always means to reencounter and go through such events in a painfull detail. I would considere that to be surrender to the people who treated me so badly.
I have to ask questions because I am interested in a certain topic. If it does not apply to You TGaC, I will desist.

To the point: Do You ever dream of figures harassing You or see yourself in the bedroom being harassed by these figures? Example, you dream that You are in the bed that You are sleeping in and suddenly a ghoul starts to choke You. It feels real though because You think You are at home and not dreaming. Yes? No?

Or. Have You ever been deprived of sleep to the point where You are hallucinating unreal figures like any schizophrenic would? Yes? No?
Sorry you're having a tough time with nightmares. That's no fun. I had a reoccurring nightmare from about 4 or 5 until I was 12-13. It just kind of went away on its own, slowly and still occasionally makes random reappearances. I still haven't pinpointed what triggers it. I remember being scared of going to sleep because I knew I was going to have a nightmare and avoided going to sleep because of it. Unpleasant doesn't cover it.
I'll just say that you still accomplish things by yourself, even if you get help. You can talk to someone about things, and they can help you see them in a different way, but ultimately it's you that does the work to actually accept them as different and try to think of them in new ways. It's your mind after all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Having, collecting and hoarding onlinebiker 67 3490 April 13, 2020 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why do I keep having this same dream or at least a variation of it GODZILLA 13 1673 February 18, 2019 at 2:29 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Share your protocol for having a cold Catholic_Lady 67 5746 March 25, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Having such a hard time in High School right now Distheist 7 1140 March 24, 2018 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Is it normal be a hetro-sexual and having no relationship experience? Sterben 61 5728 March 10, 2018 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Why do I keep having an intense craving for orange juice? Edwardo Piet 25 27323 February 9, 2017 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I a jerk for having a car towed which was parked in my driveway? Whateverist 36 5527 April 29, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you're having a hard day... Losty 39 2984 April 12, 2016 at 11:15 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  One step closer to having Sam Elliots love child ! vorlon13 1 1016 March 10, 2016 at 12:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Jello NIGHTMARES vorlon13 44 4109 January 14, 2016 at 5:42 am
Last Post: ignoramus