Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Emperor's New Clothes?
The Emperor's New Clothes?
I was reading one of fr0d0's posts yesterday when I realised something that I briefly mentioned, but I think it got lost in the fracas with Zoso.

What I realised is that his position (there is evidence for his god, but it can't be "seen" using the scientific method) is reminiscent of the story of The Emporor's New Clothes. i'll go through the story and bracket how I think it applies:

Emperor: I'd like some new clothes please
(Show me some evidence)

Clothesmaker: There you are *gives clothes*
(There you are *offers evidence*)

E: What? These aren't clothes, there's nothing there, I can't see anything!
(This isn't evidence. It doesn't stand up to the rigours of the scientific method)

C: Well of course you can't see them, they're special clothes. No-one can bsee them
(Of course it doesn't. This is special evidence. The scientific method doesn't apply to it)

E: *Puts 'invisible' clothes on*

Thoughts?
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
RE: The Emperor's New Clothes?
If you are convinced that this is something you should be able to have concrete evidence for then you're going to be hugely disappointed.

You say that this is 'special evidence' as if it is scientific but not as we know it. That God is somehow defined temporally when he clearly isn't.
(October 7, 2009 at 9:14 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You say that this is 'special evidence' as if it is scientific but not as we know it.

No, I mean special in than the scientific method doesn't apply at all. Not that it could apply if the right method were found. But I don't think that something that doesn't stand up to testing by scientific methods counts as evidence.
That is, I would say that non-scientific evidence is simply non-evidence.

(October 7, 2009 at 9:14 am)fr0d0 Wrote: That God is somehow defined temporally when he clearly isn't.

How do you know that something can exist non-temporally? You assert that your god exists "outside of time" without knowing if this even has any meaning.
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
Not always... there are many forms of 'evidence' which do not hold up to the scientific method.. personal testimony for instance. However, the Christian gods present themselves as scientific evidence... when they are not. They are essentially a lie. They go even further from here... presenting themselves as logical... when they are not.

Nothing within this universe can exist outside of time, and still be able to act. This being is supposedly omnipresent and omniscient and all sorts of other ridiculous things... a non-temporal being (by definition) cannot perform 'worldly' actions. The bible speaks time and time again about all of the things that 'God' has done... calling him non-temporal denies these achievements... or at the very least: banishes every one of them to fiction.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
So how does the Christian God present himself as scientific evidence? It is logical despite you just saying it isn't without disproving it. Plus your knowledge seems very confident like you 'know' something humans can't. God is said to act on this reality, and as creator surely has to have the ability. I find your statements very illogical Sae.
Why can't humans know what is logical and illogical?

I am the actual creator of a planet called Kargun. I have repeatedly and consistently shown the denizens of Kargun my power by completely transforming the planet, and reshaping it to be beautiful. You are telling me 'God' cannot change the color of the sky and build architectural wonders made seemingly from thin air?

He does not have the ability... and if he does: well, he is omnipresent. He's probably more focused with making pretty planets than designing creatures now. How do I figure this? Because I got tired of running errands and helping out species in 'Spore' (and other similar creation games)... and went throughout much of the galaxy transforming barren planets into wonderful T3 paradises, and spreading the seed of life to all planets in the galaxy.

There are many reasons this being is illogical... I do not see how you think otherwise, tbh. Smile
Fr0d0,

If geological evidence supported the idea that the whole world flooded, that would be a start. Unless the water from that flood was somehow trancendant AND was able to kill all the people and animals on the planet. The story of the flood makes me think about how God dealt with the sinful dolphins, whales, and fish...

Rhizo
(October 7, 2009 at 4:01 pm)Saerules Wrote: Why can't humans know what is logical and illogical?

There are many reasons this being is illogical... I do not see how you think otherwise, tbh. Smile

Can you give an example then?

@ Rhiz: You would have to be reading the flood story literally. Arcanus or JP already made an excellent post explaining this fully.
Quote:I am the actual creator of a planet called Kargun. I have repeatedly and consistently shown the denizens of Kargun my power by completely transforming the planet, and reshaping it to be beautiful. You are telling me 'God' cannot change the color of the sky and build architectural wonders made seemingly from thin air?

Example... I, a mere mortal with limited power... can do this. Why can he not?

We, mere humans with limited power... made medicines. Why can he not?

If he is a loving being... then he would if he could. He would even banish away disease if he could. But since he does not, either he is not a loving being, or his power has great limits. Simply, a show me principle. "Do you love me?", "Yes?", "Then show me."

The rest of post #6 discusses other illogical characteristics. You want examples... surly you are not incapable of creating examples? Smile
(October 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: @ Rhiz: You would have to be reading the flood story literally. Arcanus or JP already made an excellent post explaining this fully.

Thanks for linking to it... oh wait... you didn't.

Rhizo