Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum steps towards the Big Bang
Quantum steps towards the Big Bang
Quote:In Einstein's relativity theory, space is a continuum. Oriti now breaks down this space into tiny elementary cells and applies the principles of quantum physics to them, thus to space itself and to the theory of relativity describing it. This is the unification idea.

A fundamental problem of all approaches to quantum gravity consists in bridging the huge dimensional scales from the space atoms to the dimensions of the universe. This is where Oriti, his colleague Lorenzo Sindoni and Steffen Gielen, a former postdoc at the AEI who is now a researcher at the Perimeter Institute in Canada, have succeeded. Their approach is based on so-called group field theory. This is closely related to loop quantum gravity, which the AEI has been developing for some time.

The task now consisted in describing how the space of the universe evolves from the elementary cells. Staying with the idea of fluids: How can the hydrodynamics for the flowing water be derived from a theory for the atoms?

This extremely demanding mathematical task recently led to a surprising success. "Under special assumptions, space is created from these building blocks, and evolves like an expanding universe," explains Oriti. "For the first time, we were thus able to derive the Friedmann equation directly as part of our complete theory of the structure of space," he adds. This fundamental equation, which describes the expanding universe, was derived by the Russian mathematician Alexander Friedman in the 1920s on the basis of the General Theory of Relativity. The scientists have therefore succeeded in bridging the gap from the microworld to the macroworld, and thus from quantum mechanics to the General Theory of Relativity: they show that space emerges as the condensate of these elementary cells and evolves into a universe which resembles our own.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-09-quantum-big.html#jCp
RE: Quantum steps towards the Big Bang
Wouldn't it be awesome if they managed to pull off a Big Bang and it turned out to be the one that made our Universe just like in Family Guy? Then, when theists play their broken records of "where did everything come from?" and "who made the Big Bang?", we can just post these guys' photo.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
There's only one kind of "big bang" I'm interested in.
Me too. Unfortunately, there's more chance of these guys creating a new Universe. Sad
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(September 5, 2013 at 3:52 pm)little_monkey Wrote:
Quote:In Einstein's relativity theory, space is a continuum. Oriti now breaks down this space into tiny elementary cells and applies the principles of quantum physics to them, thus to space itself and to the theory of relativity describing it. This is the unification idea.

A fundamental problem of all approaches to quantum gravity consists in bridging the huge dimensional scales from the space atoms to the dimensions of the universe. This is where Oriti, his colleague Lorenzo Sindoni and Steffen Gielen, a former postdoc at the AEI who is now a researcher at the Perimeter Institute in Canada, have succeeded. Their approach is based on so-called group field theory. This is closely related to loop quantum gravity, which the AEI has been developing for some time.

The task now consisted in describing how the space of the universe evolves from the elementary cells. Staying with the idea of fluids: How can the hydrodynamics for the flowing water be derived from a theory for the atoms?

This extremely demanding mathematical task recently led to a surprising success. "Under special assumptions, space is created from these building blocks, and evolves like an expanding universe," explains Oriti. "For the first time, we were thus able to derive the Friedmann equation directly as part of our complete theory of the structure of space," he adds. This fundamental equation, which describes the expanding universe, was derived by the Russian mathematician Alexander Friedman in the 1920s on the basis of the General Theory of Relativity. The scientists have therefore succeeded in bridging the gap from the microworld to the macroworld, and thus from quantum mechanics to the General Theory of Relativity: they show that space emerges as the condensate of these elementary cells and evolves into a universe which resembles our own.

Read more at: http://phys.org/news/2013-09-quantum-big.html#jCp

This is one of my favourite fields of study. I've read a number of papers recently that attempt to deal with the problem of Unification by looking for a mechanism that connects Quantum Physics with Newtonian Physics.

Daniele Oriti's theory is a neat idea but it doesn't say much about what these elementary cells might be. But, luckily a team looking into Quantum Entanglement (Einstein's 'spooky action at a distance'), have advanced the concept of Quantum Wormholes, which would provide the structure for these elementary cells and ultimately for the geometry of spacetime.

There is an increasing body of work suggesting that time (and space for that matter) as we precieve it, is an emergent property of these quantum constructs - something I've been personally championing for the last 10 years - which is congruent with information we already know about Quanta and their aparent ability to defy causality.

There is more than a slight convergence in new research and if we are on the right lines then it could pave the way to a Unification Theory. Which is very exciting (for me anyway).

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did the Big Bang happen? JairCrawford 50 3702 May 18, 2022 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  Nerd alert! -more spooky Quantum stuff ignoramus 49 3690 November 28, 2020 at 5:38 pm
  More Quantum entanglement mind fuckery ignoramus 20 2799 December 9, 2018 at 6:15 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Just When I Thought I Understood the Big Bang Rhondazvous 19 2523 January 23, 2018 at 7:09 pm
  If the Universe Collapses Because of a False Vacuum, Won't There Just be Another Big Rhondazvous 11 2474 November 8, 2017 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Quantum Physics Craziness! LadyForCamus 19 1826 October 12, 2017 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Big Bang and QM bennyboy 1 615 September 10, 2017 at 4:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How big is the universe? Rhondazvous 77 11871 August 1, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Teaching the Big bang theory to Preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 5 1596 June 24, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  I wrote the first book to teach the Big Bang theory to Preschoolers! GeorgiasTelescope 0 652 June 12, 2017 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: GeorgiasTelescope