Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Intro
My Intro
Hello all,

My name is Ashley, I live in California. I come from a interracial/mixed family. My mother is Filipina and my father is African American. My family is not super religious but they do identity as Catholics. All my life, as far back as I can remember I never had much faith in the idea of "God". However, sometimes I would feel guilty for questioning God, the bible and religion. I felt it was bad to question because questioning might be taken as disrespect? Most of my life, up until last year I have just carried a nonchalant feeling toward "God". Last year I started exploring and learning more in depth about religions, Gods, Evolution, Science, Agnosticism and Atheism. I looked at all sides of the coin and by the end of 2012 I concluded with myself that I was definitely an Atheist. What I have found the most interesting about being an Atheist is how people react. I am not ashamed to be an atheist but with some people I feel like I have to carefully divulge my non faith. I feel like people I have told (family, friends, coworkers etc.) look down on me being an atheist. A lot of people have told me I am going though a phase, or questioned have I lost faith due to something bad that's going on in my life? or they ask if I am angry with God? - I am not angry at something that I don't even acknowledge as being real. I am not a mad person. I am not mad at the world either. I did not lose faith in "God", I never had faith to begin with. If something bad or good was happening in my life I would not hold God as credit to why the good has happen or discredit to when the bad happens. There are many Gods and all of them in my world of reality are simply fictional mythological characters.
Giggle•~freaky like the daughter of a pastor~•Giggle
RE: My Intro
Heya Ash and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 6, 2013 at 4:32 pm)Kayenneh Wrote: Heya Ash and welcome to AF! ^_^

thank you Big Grin
Welcome!
Welcome
(September 6, 2013 at 4:34 pm)Insanity x Wrote: Welcome!
thanks Smile

(September 6, 2013 at 4:36 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Welcome

thank ya ! Big Grin
Welcome.

The "angry atheist" is about my least favorite of all the stereotypes.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm)Faith No More Wrote: Welcome.

The "angry atheist" is about my least favorite of all the stereotypes.

Mine too. It's right up there with "angry azeusist' and "angry aunicornist".
Hi there!
Hello, Ashley.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1204 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1742 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 999 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1886 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5161 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 1315 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 4993 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3881 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 2432 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread Redoubtable 16 3378 February 5, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Otisknows