Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 12:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do You Have any Mental Abnormalities?
Do You Have any Mental Abnormalities?
It might be possible that after so much time paying attention to yourself that You notice that You have some kind of mental abnormality or illness after hinting towards it through research. Well, this is the case for me. Not necessarily an illness, but rather a small irritant when conveying a message, I find that I stutter in such a way that I repeat some sentences vocally. In text, I notice that I have bouts of dyslexia where I would repeat the same word, skip a sentence, or switch 2 words around in a sentence before I notice.

(this is why I love the thesaurus Smile)

I would describe this experience as having a second "me" voicing over what I say, taking dominance over the previous "me's" monologue, continuing to speak or type in place of the old "me".

For example, "this is what I said, this is exactly the kind of case- this is exactly the kind of case yes".

It is common for me. I do not have attention disorders, I just have quite a few moments where my thought process spikes between things of interest. And then I forget the initial thing I was thinking about, and that pisses me off because the thing is usually relevant.
RE: Do You Have any Mental Abnormalities?
I have unchecked ADD, which means I have the attention span of a gnat, and can rarely finish...
Psychosis NOS and Depressive Disorder NOS. There's quite a few of us with interesting problems here.
I technically have dysnomia, an inability (in verbal situations) to recall the right word to proceed with a thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomic_aphasia

I also have a history of mild depression, which spiked after a single interpersonal trauma in 2007. I almost didn't make it.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(September 7, 2013 at 11:00 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: I have unchecked ADD, which means I have the attention span of a gnat, and can rarely finish...

Shit, man. My younger cousin has ADHD/ADD, and when We play Call of Duty online He can barely go through 15 minutes of the same game mode without having to switch. Even if it means going from classic multiplayer mode to zombies multiplayer mode. And about an hour later He wants to play Minecraft, which We do. :/

(September 7, 2013 at 11:04 am)c172 Wrote: I technically have dysnomia, an inability (in verbal situations) to recall the right word to proceed with a thought.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anomic_aphasia

Hey! That is what usually accompanies my amnesia!
...my thoughts.

Yeah, it's a Gooch. I all but stopped immersing myself in anything that demands time and/or attention...it's just to damned difficult. My abbreviated posts here are small evidence.
(September 7, 2013 at 11:00 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: (I) can rarely finish...

Poor Mrs. Colostomy!
Oh, I should add that whenever I start repeating my words and becoming enthused in the topic, I usually start to smile or laugh maniacally out of place. I laugh quietly however so few others notice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_disorder

However, I'm able to almost fully manage it now, but that took almost fifteen years and several trips to mental hospitals to accomplish.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 7, 2013 at 11:28 am)Xombie Wrote:
(September 7, 2013 at 11:00 am)Captain Colostomy Wrote: (I) can rarely finish...

Poor Mrs. Colostomy!

She'd say that's what the pool boy is for...and that now you know her stance on immigration reform.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2166 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2139 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10736 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Mental endurance purplepurpose 21 2533 September 2, 2018 at 11:23 am
Last Post: John V
  Any of you guys experience this? (Part 2) Foxaèr 6 1687 June 18, 2018 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  If you could look like any celebrity The Industrial Atheist 30 4793 April 23, 2018 at 1:55 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Anyone makes mental health jokes... Mystic 61 14433 March 23, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  My house and mental health issues Brian37 17 3829 September 15, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Does Anybody Around Here Have Any Dignity? laserthought 17 1560 August 17, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Do you have any birth marks? brewer 28 2917 January 31, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet