Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You want to know why I questioned my faith?
You want to know why I questioned my faith?
It's because of stupid ass, uneducated answers like these from religious people I thought be educated that I am an agonostic:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7773575/#post64128576

Just say you don't effing know the answers. Post is mine, by the way. The reason I posted under guise of "Christian" is because their apologetics section required you to be a "Christian" to post. Such intolerance of those who command it.
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens
RE: You want to know why I questioned my faith?
It's not really any different from the responses we get from theists here. Although the reference to "mitochondrial Eve" made me chuckle.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote:It would negate it. Fortunately, atheistic evolution is not true.

Wut? Sorry I won't read anymore, can't lose anymore brain cells Panic
Something about that christian defender really pisses me off. I think I know what it is.

That guy is responding as if he is defending a comic book superhero or villain or whatever like people would say about Thanos on Comic Vine.

I have no problem with people defending their comic book characters from anything because We all know that these characters are purposely fictional and for our entertainment.

But this christian is treating his character named "god" as if it were real. This is a fallacy I would like to call the nonfictional breach fallacy.
I see they trotted out the free will defense against the question of evil. Whenever I hear that, I can't help but imagine a Christian standing in a hosptial next to a comotase child that was raped and beaten by her attacker thinking, "At least I have free will."

Not to mention that that argument corners them into accepting that either there is no free will in heaven, or god can create a world where free will and the absence of evil are compatible.

Hogwash as usual.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 12, 2013 at 8:02 am)Faith No More Wrote: I see they trotted out the free will defense against the question of evil. Whenever I hear that, I can't help but imagine a Christian standing in a hosptial next to a comotase child that was raped and beaten by her attacker thinking, "At least I have free will."

Not to mention that that argument corners them into accepting that either there is no free will in heaven, or god can create a world where free will and the absence of evil are compatible.

Hogwash as usual.
\

Yea where was the "free will" of the child? So it would seem that God cares more about the "free will" of the attacker, than the victim, and on top of that is a sick voyeur who watched it and didn't stop it.
I gave up when the first real response was "atheistic evolution is not true". And then the crap about age of the earth. I figured these were just standard things people knew.
"The consolations of philosophy and the beauties of science; these things are infinitely more awe-inspiring and regenerating and majestic than any invocation of the burning bush or doctrine." - Christopher Hitchens
Quote:You want to know why I questioned my faith?
Not in the off-topic section I don't.
(September 12, 2013 at 11:49 am)John V Wrote:
Quote:You want to know why I questioned my faith?
Not in the off-topic section I don't.

I posted here, because it was light-hearted complaining, instead of debate and argument.
I see they started all that fake concern and god bless stuff. All in all their arguments ate exactly what you expect from emotionally invested people that can not think too much about their beliefs without fear. It however really pisses me off on how they only allow Christians full access, but if atheists did that somewhere like here they would scream censorship.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you know today that you didn't know yesterday? BrianSoddingBoru4 3664 197003 6 hours ago
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What did you know yesterday that you don't know today? Gawdzilla Sama 14 1080 December 4, 2023 at 9:43 am
Last Post: brewer
  Which do you want to go? Foxaèr 13 790 October 18, 2023 at 10:49 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Do people just naturally want conflict Ahriman 113 3753 September 26, 2023 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did you know? Ryn 2 320 July 4, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: weaponoffreedom
  Why does everyone want to advertise in their signature? Foxaèr 2 338 September 14, 2020 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Already want to change my name again Foxaèr 14 801 July 12, 2020 at 1:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Do I know you? Losty 16 1278 October 21, 2019 at 5:03 am
Last Post: WinterHold
Wink Want to read about my mom?? Clueless Morgan 2 650 April 5, 2019 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: brewer
  10 things you didn’t know about Star Wars robvalue 3 850 March 20, 2019 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Yonadav