Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No God, but created?
No God, but created?
I'm sure this has been talked to death, but it keeps coming back to haunt me.

I am a full blown atheist in the sense that I am one-million percent positive that there is no perfect mystical magical god. That said, has anyone actually looked at the implications derived from the idea that all life on this planet started from one teeny-tiny microscopic cell?

[Image: yeast-front.jpg]

The information in that first living cell goes way WAY beyond mind-boggling. Then to imply that this cell was created naturally (without any intelligent assistance whatsoever) is simply not fathomable. Though I will probably miss a lot of them, have a look at what instructions had to have been in that first cell:

1. You will replicate yourself in exact detail.
2. You will transfer all the information on replication to the other cells.
3. When there are enough cells you will combine with them to make complex organisms.
4. Instead of cell division you will teach the complex cells how to reproduce asexually.
5. You will adapt to your environment and transform into all manner of plant life, fish-life, and all life on land.
6. You will then teach life to reproduce by using two partners.
7. In living things you will create hearts, lungs, kidneys, livers, bladders, stomachs, intestines, colons, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, throat, glands, hair or fur, limbs, tails, claws, brains...

ALL of this information was in that first cell in one form or another.
And, this all occurred naturally?

Give me aliens having created this cell. Give me a scientist in another dimension playing with life in a petri dish where our universe resides.

But even as an atheist I find it really REALLY hard to swallow that life occurred by random chance.

Thanks for reading.
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
RE: No God, but created?
Chemistry is not random. Also, who says it definitely started with just one cell? Abiogenesis could easily, from my understanding, create more than one cell. And imagine if meteorites carried the early lifeforms? I doubt it would be just one, although not impossible, but it seems improbable.
(September 12, 2013 at 8:50 am)Jiggerj Wrote: ALL of this information was in that first cell in one form or another.

The simple answer is - it wasn't in the first living cell. In any form. All that information developed over a long, long period of time.
(September 12, 2013 at 8:50 am)Jiggerj Wrote: I'm sure this has been talked to death, but it keeps coming back to haunt me.

I am a full blown atheist in the sense that I am one-million percent positive that there is no perfect mystical magical god. That said, has anyone actually looked at the implications derived from the idea that all life on this planet started from one teeny-tiny microscopic cell?

[Image: yeast-front.jpg]

The information in that first living cell goes way WAY beyond mind-boggling. Then to imply that this cell was created naturally (without any intelligent assistance whatsoever) is simply not fathomable. Though I will probably miss a lot of them, have a look at what instructions had to have been in that first cell:

1. You will replicate yourself in exact detail.
2. You will transfer all the information on replication to the other cells.
3. When there are enough cells you will combine with them to make complex organisms.
4. Instead of cell division you will teach the complex cells how to reproduce asexually.
5. You will adapt to your environment and transform into all manner of plant life, fish-life, and all life on land.
6. You will then teach life to reproduce by using two partners.
7. In living things you will create hearts, lungs, kidneys, livers, bladders, stomachs, intestines, colons, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, throat, glands, hair or fur, limbs, tails, claws, brains...

ALL of this information was in that first cell in one form or another.

Give me aliens having created this cell. Give me a scientist in another dimension playing with life in a petri dish where our universe resides.

But even as an atheist I find it really REALLY hard to swallow that life occurred by random chance.

Thanks for reading.

To declare yourself an atheist, and then argue for intelligent design? I'm not buying it.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
It's anything but 'random'.

If the context exists for an event to occur, then it will occur. Add time to the mix (billions and billions of years) and hey presto; you've got humans pooping in a field and wiping their ass with poison Ivy Smile
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(September 12, 2013 at 9:00 am)genkaus Wrote:
(September 12, 2013 at 8:50 am)Jiggerj Wrote: ALL of this information was in that first cell in one form or another.

The simple answer is - it wasn't in the first living cell. In any form. All that information developed over a long, long period of time.

I knew this topic would go here. It was just easier to write my thread the way I did and wait for this reply. If all that information wasn't in the first cell, then it at least had some kind of programming on learning how to adapt in the future to any and all environments.

THAT is still mind-boggling!

Thanks for your reply.

(September 12, 2013 at 9:15 am)orogenicman Wrote: To declare yourself an atheist, and then argue for intelligent design? I'm not buying it.

Why? Atheists can't believe that life came from someplace other than this planet, or that there might be highly intelligent (non-perfect) beings in another dimension tampering with the ingredients of life in a lab somewhere?

No, I don't believe in a perfect being, or magic, but all other options are wide open.
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
(September 12, 2013 at 9:34 am)Jiggerj Wrote: I knew this topic would go here. It was just easier to write my thread the way I did and wait for this reply. If all that information wasn't in the first cell, then it at least had some kind of programming on learning how to adapt in the future to any and all environments.

THAT is still mind-boggling!

Thanks for your reply.

Did it have "some kind of programming on learning how to adapt"? What gives you that idea? In all likelihood, all it had was the programming for imperfect replication and an error in one such replication resulted in existence of "adaptive programming". Not mind-boggling at all.

(September 12, 2013 at 9:34 am)Jiggerj Wrote: Why? Atheists can't believe that life came from someplace other than this planet, or that there might be highly intelligent (non-perfect) beings in another dimension tampering with the ingredients of life in a lab somewhere?

No, I don't believe in a perfect being, or magic, but all other options are wide open.

Then you are just pushing the envelop one step back. Where did those supposed beings in another dimension come from?
(September 12, 2013 at 10:00 am)genkaus Wrote: Did it have "some kind of programming on learning how to adapt"? What gives you that idea? In all likelihood, all it had was the programming for imperfect replication and an error in one such replication resulted in existence of "adaptive programming". Not mind-boggling at all.

Imperfect replication that caused all of the things required for life as we know it: a heart, stomach, lungs, kidneys, liver, brain, how to process oxygen... Don't you find it odd that imperfect replication would randomly create all of the organs needed for life. Take away any one of the organs mentioned, and we don't exist.

Quote:Then you are just pushing the envelop one step back. Where did those supposed beings in another dimension come from?

The answer is still, we don't know. It does, however, move us away from the proposition that life started here and by means of only one cell 'accidentally' knowing how to split and transfer all of its information to the next cell.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
Why do you call it an accident that a cell performs biochemical tasks?
(September 12, 2013 at 9:34 am)Jiggerj Wrote: I knew this topic would go here. It was just easier to write my thread the way I did and wait for this reply. If all that information wasn't in the first cell, then it at least had some kind of programming on learning how to adapt in the future to any and all environments.

The first processor that used logic gates to compute in binary had everything it needed to power today's most demanding applications. But those processors aren't sophisticated enough to be used as a support module in a Commodore 64, much less a modern computer. Not being complex is very different from having the potential to be complex.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A good argument for God's existence (long but worth it) Mystic 179 32858 October 26, 2017 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Logic tells me God doesn't exist but my heart says otherwise. Mystic 81 17509 October 17, 2014 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  If God exists but doesn't do anything, how would we know? And would it matter? TaraJo 7 3994 January 26, 2013 at 11:14 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin