Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 4:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings
Greetings
Hello all!

I just discovered this forum, and had to register. I've been a part of other forums (scientific, religious, political, etc) before, but before long they tend to get overrun by the devout theists who end up silencing people through shouting and condemnations. So, it is nice to find a forum dominated by people who don't take employ that tactic.

Religiously, I am a Deist. Though I do believe in a god, I don't believe that this god is the god of the bible, koran, torrah, etc. Nor do I believe that this god exerts any direct control over the goings on of the world around us. As well, I know that my belief in a god is not provable, nor do I wish it to be. In my "Atheist vs Theist" debates, I tend to be on the side of the atheists. My beliefs are solely based on my own experiences and thoughts in life, and can't be (and shouldn't be) pushed on to others.

Politically, I'm a libertarian. I tend to live by the philosophy of "so long as it doesn't pick my pocket or break my leg, it is none of my concern" (to paraphrase).

Again, greetings!
RE: Greetings
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome. I also have libertarian beliefs to the effect of "as long as it doesn't harm anyone, it shouldn't be illegal." I never could quite understand the deist position of there existing a god which is unprovable and does not interact with the universe. It's like one should default to the position of "unless you can prove a god exists, there's no reason to believe in one." But, I believe everyone is entitled to their beliefs and don't care what they are until they start pushing their beliefs onto others, as so many theists do.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

And another runner comes stumbling out of the gate....

I have to ask, does this deist god you believe in pick your pocket or break your leg?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Welcome

You should do just fine here.
So long as your diety doesn't
flex too much muscle. Glad
you're here...
Welcome.

Who needs a god that doesn't do anything? Not that such a simple fact ever stopped any believer in any other god...none of whom do anything either.
Welcome,

Did your god just come from nothing? ... Hmm where have I heard that?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(September 13, 2013 at 11:50 am)apophenia Wrote:

And another runner comes stumbling out of the gate....

I have to ask, does this deist god you believe in pick your pocket or break your leg?

No, the god I believe exists does neither.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Oh, and to answer a couple other questions....I don't necessarily need my god, but I do believe it exists...and, I have no idea from where the god I believe in came, nor does that fact bother me. I openly admit that I have zero proof of the existence of the god I believe in, and that is okay with me. I never try to convince others of my belief, nor would I care to do that.
Welcome!
Deism is a baby step towards atheism. There is hope for you.

[Image: DCygCk2.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 775 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1192 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 814 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1295 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1263 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1286 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2798 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 1023 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm