Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:30 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings and Salutations!
Greetings and Salutations!
Hello-

I've been looking around for a forum to settle into- hopefully this is it. I've been off forums for several years and have missed the interactions.

About me: I'm an atheist from Texas (sigh). I live with my sweetheart (we've been engaged for 11 years) 2 dogs, and assorted birds. I'm a molecular geneticist (ABD) by training with a focus on microbial evolution, have spent years teaching Biology at the high school and university levels, and right now I'm in career limbo (although I have a job interview on Friday for a job I'd really like). Oh, and I'm female.

I was raised by atheist parents and so feel a little bewildered by the struggles so many atheists went through to get here- I just don't know what it feels like to buy a god, and anyway, I tend to feel like if it turned out that the god described by most theistic Texans actually existed, I'd join the other team.

Glad to be here.
RE: Greetings and Salutations!
Welcome to AF, and my condolences on your residency status. Smile
Heya Zazzy and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(September 17, 2013 at 12:41 pm)Zazzy Wrote: Hello-

I've been looking around for a forum to settle into- hopefully this is it. I've been off forums for several years and have missed the interactions.

About me: I'm an atheist from Texas (sigh). I live with my sweetheart (we've been engaged for 11 years) 2 dogs, and assorted birds. I'm a molecular geneticist (ABD) by training with a focus on microbial evolution, have spent years teaching Biology at the high school and university levels, and right now I'm in career limbo (although I have a job interview on Friday for a job I'd really like). Oh, and I'm female.

I was raised by atheist parents and so feel a little bewildered by the struggles so many atheists went through to get here- I just don't know what it feels like to buy a god, and anyway, I tend to feel like if it turned out that the god described by most theistic Texans actually existed, I'd join the other team.

Glad to be here.

Huh? If these Texans you speak of are painting him out to be a non violent lovey dovey god, then they and you, need to read that book cover to cover. What they are doing is cherry picking. The god character in totality would read like an abusive spouse.

1. Beats the shit out of you for questioning or trying to leave.
2. Says he is sorry.
3. Goes back to beating you.

Part one. Be a good Hebrew and no one gets hurt.
Part Two. Thats not working, I'll stalk you, fake a suicide to save you from my wrath.
Part three. Thats not working. I'll smash the entire x box and burn all the players who didn't want to play my game.

Why would you want to join that team?
Welcome to the forum ! you're a molecular geneticist and you was raised by Atheists parents. You live in Texas (Bible Belt) therefore I suppose that yours parents were Scientists. I'm right ?
Howdy!
Cunt
(September 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Why would you want to join that team?
Hi Brian- I said join the OTHER team. As in, NOT the the god squad. Whatever possible other option there was.

It was a joke, if a poor one.

Thanks for the welcomes!
Now that I reread my post, I can totally see how you read it that way, Brian. And here's my reintroduction to online boards: be super clear in your language.
Texas, huh? We get a lot of that around here.

You'll fit right in.
(September 17, 2013 at 3:33 pm)viocjit Wrote: Welcome to the forum ! you're a molecular geneticist and you was raised by Atheists parents. You live in Texas (Bible Belt) therefore I suppose that yours parents were Scientists. I'm right ?
No- they weren't. They're literature types. I think they were sort of sad I didn't turn out to be an English teacher. But I read plenty of poetry to placate them, so it all works out.

Thanks for welcoming me! Anything I should know to be careful of here?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 749 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1180 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 811 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1281 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1253 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1277 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2793 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 993 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm