Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:31 am

Poll: Should Pit Bulls be killed?
This poll is closed.
yes
12.50%
2 12.50%
no
87.50%
14 87.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't believe this is happening!!
I can't believe this is happening!!
I saw this link on my facebook page and I couldn't believe it!

Take a look:http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/200...t_bull.php

I think it is inhuman to kill animals, even if their breed is not good.
RE: I can't believe this is happening!!
Up to half of the chickens bread to lay eggs are culled due to being born the incorrect gender. Nasty as it is to see it, I don't see how this is too different to be classed as wrong unless you want to class the chick thing as wrong as well. In which case that'd make you a vegan?

EDIT: my mistake. Didnt read the article so I assumed it was about culling offspring to produce perfect offspring. Ignore me.
Hoi Zaeme.
Obviously the dogs aren't to blame. The owners who get Pitbulls because they are "badass" and mean looking and then fail to train them properly, or willingly train them to be aggressive are to blame.

I think the breed is a more aggressive and more dangerous one, but with proper training and handling, that shouldn't be a factor.
- Meatball
Just like Rottweilers, it depends on the owner and how skilled they are with dealing with such breeds.

However, I just want to cry now from looking at the pictures. Sad I don't like pitbulls much due to one of my neighbors having them and one tried to bite me before because it was off it's chain, but this shit is disgusting and sick. And to the idiot in that comment section in the article, there's no absolute way that was photoshopped. Anyone can see that.
We kill loads of "dangerous" animals to keep ourselves safe. If there was a ban, people shouldn't have been breeding them. I agree, it's a shame that they were all killed, but in answer to the question "should we kill pit bulls" I say yes, if they are endangering human lives.
(October 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm)Falhalterra Wrote: Just like Rottweilers, it depends on the owner and how skilled they are with dealing with such breeds.

That is so true. A while back I had a roommate that had a pit bull though she was roudy at times she was a sweetheart all along.

(October 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm)Falhalterra Wrote: However, I just want to cry now from looking at the pictures. Sad

I did to, I felt so sad when I saw those pictures. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for animals pets especially.
(October 11, 2009 at 6:53 pm)Tiberius Wrote: We kill loads of "dangerous" animals to keep ourselves safe. If there was a ban, people shouldn't have been breeding them. I agree, it's a shame that they were all killed, but in answer to the question "should we kill pit bulls" I say yes, if they are endangering human lives.

The bread in general is sweet and lovable. It's human's that make them vicious. They are often used for Dog Fighting rings where they are trained to fight each other. Usually they are put to death if they are found in a dog fighting ring in which most often they are too badly abused to make a suitable pet as they would attack any other animal viciously. They aren't normally hostile towards humans (But can be if maltreated.) It's unfortunate that in order to control dog fighting, some areas have banned pit bulls. I think that's the wrong thing to do and I'm against it 100%. Pit bulls are the most misunderstood dog breed. In reality, they are the sweetest dogs.

This is my Pit Bull, Xander. He wouldn't hurt a fly. He was also rescued from a shelter. Big Grin

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Quote:The bread in general is sweet and lovable. It's human's that make them vicious.

See below on ACTUARIAL RISK.

Some dogs were actually bred for their aggressive qualities. That includes pit Bull Terrriers. Pit Bulls are not vicious in that they will not USUALLY simply attack some one,but hey have been known too.

Dogs are by nature scavengers, opportunistic predators and are responsive animals. NONE are "sweet and lovable".That is a human projection called 'anthropomorphism'.

Quote:Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to non-human creatures and beings, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

My dog? I have two; Mimi is a geriatric toy poodle X terrier,far too smart, with a nasty disposition. Shadow is a Pit Bull, dumb as stump, very affectionate very strong and very protective. I got him as a pet and a protector. Someone breaks into my house, that person loses an appendage.

I make no apologies: We're not allowed to own firearms. I'm an older man in poor health,physically unable to defend myself..I live alone in a high crime area. Everyone around here knows I have Shadow. Before him I had a German Shepherd.

Wiki

Quote:American Pit Bull Terrier

The American Pit Bull Terrier is the product of interbreeding between terriers and a now-extinct breed of bulldogs to produce a dog that combined the gameness of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog. These dogs were initially bred in England, Ireland, and Scotland, and arrived in the United States with immigrants from these countries. In the United States these dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions;[1] however, some were selectively bred for their fighting prowess,[2] and starting in the early 20th century they began to replace the bull terrier as the "dog of choice" for dog fighting in the United States.[3]

Quote:Clifton report (2008)

Mr. Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People News,[25] has compiled from press reports a log of dog attack deaths and severe bites in the United States and Canada from September 1982 through January 1, 2008. The study methodology counted attacks "by dogs of clearly identified breed type or ancestry, as designated by animal control officers or others with evident expertise, [that] have been kept as pets." Mr. Clifton acknowledges that the log "is by no means a complete list of fatal or otherwise serious dog attacks" since it excludes "dogs whose breed type may be uncertain, … attacks by police dogs, guard dogs, and dogs trained specifically to fight…"

The study found reports of 264 people killed by dogs over the 24-year period, of which "pit bull terrier" or mixes thereof were reportedly responsible for killing 137, or about 43 percent, of the 314 people killed by dogs in the attacks identified in the study. The breed with the next-highest number of attributed fatalities was the Rottweiler and mixes thereof, with 67 fatalities or about 21 percent of the study-identified fatalities; in aggregate, pit bulls, rottweilers, and mixes thereof were involved in about 64% of the study-identified fatalities."[26]

In the 2006 edition of his report, Mr. Clifton concluded

"Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier…has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

PS: Your dog is the dead spit for my Shadow.
Oh Eilonnwy your pit bull looks so cute how old is he?

@padraic, thank you for posting info about pit bulls, good read indeed.
Humans are not the only creatures to hold 'human characteristics'. Many other creatures have personality... and also have emotion. A dog is affectionate when it is treated well... and when treated poorly reacts aggressively. Emotion and personality are not human characteristics... the human example is simply the one we are most familiar with. In fact, I know of not a single characteristic unique to humanity.

We are simply the greatest extent of consciousness we have found... not the base. Pit Bull Terriers are bred specifically for their aggressiveness... but so far as I have seen: they have not yet gone beyond affection.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't believe this. Little Bit 7 716 January 1, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Some Strange Things Are Happening To Astronauts Returning To Earth [fixed video] Gooders1002 4 1599 March 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002