Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 12:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest up former theist?
Highest up former theist?
We hear stories all the time of leaving religion, all of them. Even former leaders of churches are now selling books on the atheist circuit. And some are closet atheists.

BUT, whatever religion especially Christianity, Catholic, Mormon, or Muslim or Jew. I am not talking about local and small leaders. I mean highest up the chain of power in those clubs.

Who is the highest up the chain you are aware of beyond local leaders?
RE: Highest up former theist?
Lots of Jews are athiests. Mordecai Kaplan, the founder of Reconstructionist Judaism, is likely a candidate. There may be better examples, admittedly.
All of the dead ones.

Yeah, I'm feeling snarky. Why do you ask?
Pope Frank, depending on who you ask.
(September 19, 2013 at 8:19 pm)Ryantology Wrote: Pope Frank, depending on who you ask.

I have the feeling someone is going to shut him up soon.
According to certain fundie wingnuts, atheism is a religion wherein each atheist is his own god. As a lifelong atheist, I am essentially the god of that religion, or one of them. Does that count?

I think that counts. Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(September 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm)Esquilax Wrote: According to certain fundie wingnuts, atheism is a religion wherein each atheist is his own god. As a lifelong atheist, I am essentially the god of that religion, or one of them. Does that count?

Well, I've been in a lot of forums with the religious. It's pretty safe to say that NONE of them believe in the same things, so they're all atheists in one form or another.

Some believe every word of the bible. Others believe that some of the stories are fictional, but inspirational. Some don't believe in the Old Testament at all. Some think that god looks like us. Some believe that god has no form. Some believe that god intervenes on our behalf from time to time, while others think that god kickstarted then universe and walked away.

It's hard to fathom how religions even got off the ground - must've been a miracle. Cool Shades
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
Would the pope count as I don't think frankie is a Christian.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(September 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm)Esquilax Wrote: According to certain fundie wingnuts, atheism is a religion wherein each atheist is his own god. As a lifelong atheist, I am essentially the god of that religion, or one of them. Does that count?

I hate that argument from theists "If you say there is no god, that makes you a god".

Think about that theists. If there is no such thing as a god, then how can a human be one? There are no god/s AND HUMANS ARE NOT GODS EITHER.

They always forget that option.
(September 26, 2013 at 2:18 am)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Would the pope count as I don't think frankie is a Christian.

No, he's not because he's concerned for the poor and says to not worry about gays and abortion. We all know that to be a true Christian you have to be upset over abortion, gay marriage, and to shit on the poor.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 452 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I'm no longer an anti-theist Duty 27 2001 September 16, 2022 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I received a letter from a theist, need a good reply Radamand 22 2023 March 22, 2022 at 10:56 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  [Serious] For former Christians, what was it like to "know" Christ? GrandizerII 30 3865 March 14, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Athene
  Why do theist often drop the letter s when referring to atheists? I_am_not_mafia 56 11910 August 23, 2018 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
Tongue Disproving Odin - An Experiment in arguing with a theist with Theist logic Cecelia 983 150262 June 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Raven Orlock
  Just met a former Muslim on Facebook Brian37 6 2720 May 3, 2018 at 8:28 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Why do so many Christians claim to be former Atheists? Cecelia 42 6188 April 1, 2018 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Why was Newton a theist? Alexmahone 65 12776 March 24, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why America is anti-theist. Goosebump 3 1113 March 1, 2018 at 9:06 am
Last Post: mlmooney89