Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Certainty
Certainty
"Doubt is uncomfortable but tolerable, certainty is just ridiculous."

Are you certain about that?
RE: Certainty
Who ever stated that is ridiculous.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I always enjoyed Voltaire.

Have you seen this one?

Quote:“Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world”
I suppose I find the quote ridiculous because I am certain god does not exist and I am certain that my certainty does not make me ridiculous.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Hard to argue with Voltaire on that one.

They follow a guy who was borne into, lived and died as a member of another religion. A guy who, according to the earliest report of his life, showed zero interest in anyone outside the religion he was borne into (excepting the bolted on bit at the end). A guy who was rejected by the religion he was borne into and a guy who was seen only by members of that religion.

Yup - nutty as a fruitcake.
(September 20, 2013 at 12:58 am)Maelstrom Wrote: Who ever stated that is ridiculous.

Look above you.
"In the words of Esther Rantzen, 'life is uncertain'. My life certainly has a certain uncertainty about it; and I'm pretty certain that yours does, too. So with your uncertainty, and my uncertainty, there's certainly a certain degree of uncertainty about. Of that, we can be - quite sure."
-- Rowan Atkinson, from his live show.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKCJgDCA5Bo
(September 20, 2013 at 12:27 am)Max_Kolbe Wrote: "Doubt is uncomfortable but tolerable, certainty is just ridiculous."

Are you certain about that?

Christians are certain there god exists and you are right it is ridiculous. I doubt they are right can you tolerate my comfort with that?
(September 20, 2013 at 1:22 am)Minimalist Wrote: I always enjoyed Voltaire.

Have you seen this one?

Quote:“Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world”

I also enjoy this one.

Quote:It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell