Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Liscense to Journalism
Liscense to Journalism
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/sep/12/...w-20130913

Quote:Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) insisted on limiting the legal protection to "real reporters" and not, she said, a 17-year-old with his own website.

"I can't support it if everyone who has a blog has a special privilege … or if Edward Snowden were to sit down and write this stuff, he would have a privilege. I'm not going to go there," she said.

Feinstein introduced an amendment that defines a "covered journalist" as someone who gathers and reports news for "an entity or service that disseminates news and information." The definition includes freelancers, part-timers and student journalists, and it permits a judge to go further and extend the protections to any "legitimate news-gathering activities."

A bi-partisan bill is being considered that will limit the right to journalism to private citizens and bloggers. Only journalists that work for a media organization will be able to claim that right. Slowly....going....down the drain.
RE: Liscense to Journalism
How magical. Instead of attacking the freedom portion of 'freedom of the press', they are looking to define, and limit, who is the press.
Quote:Feinstein introduced an amendment that defines a "covered journalist" as someone who gathers and reports news for "an entity or service that disseminates news and information."

Wouldn't a blog qualify as this? This definition is so broad as to be useless.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 20, 2013 at 12:59 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
Quote:Feinstein introduced an amendment that defines a "covered journalist" as someone who gathers and reports news for "an entity or service that disseminates news and information."

Wouldn't a blog qualify as this? This definition is so broad as to be useless.

Feinstein's quotes in the article narrow her thoughts more. I've no idea how the proposed amendment is worded, however.
Seems to me that the Constitution guarantees freedom of any media to report or to voice an opinion, doesn't mean you have to work for a news organization to have your voice count. Why can't our stupid fucking politicians understand this?
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 20, 2013 at 1:21 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: Seems to me that the Constitution guarantees freedom of any media to report or to voice an opinion, doesn't mean you have to work for a news organization to have your voice count. Why can't our stupid fucking politicians understand this?

It guarantees freedom of speech. That seems to umbrella any of these other freedoms to report as I have the right to as a citizen first, assuming anyone wants to defend that freedom anymore...
Feinstein is a disaster for California and I cannot wait to vote her out.

It just happens to be really expensive to run for the Senate - an expense that favors her.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(September 20, 2013 at 7:48 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Feinstein is a disaster for California and I cannot wait to vote her out.

It just happens to be really expensive to run for the Senate - an expense that favors her.

Unfortunately, with her influence, she's been a disaster for the rest of us as well. I can wait for her authoritarian ass to get voted out either. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening until she decides to retire.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Journalism OP/ED, Brian37 0 593 December 26, 2012 at 9:00 am
Last Post: Brian37