Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modding and Mods.
Modding and Mods.
Quote:Modding is a slang expression that is derived from the verb "modify". Modding refers to the act of modifying hardware, software, or virtually anything else, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer. The term modding is often used within the computer game community, particularly in regard to creating new or altered content and sharing that via the web. It may also be applied to the overclocking of computers in order to increase the frequency at the which the CPU operates. Case modding is also a popular activity amongst many computer enthusiasts which involves the customization of a computer case or the installation of water cooling technology. In connection with automobiles, modding often refers to engine tuning, remapping of a vehicle's engine control unit or customization of the bodywork.

I recently installed my good old "Elders Scrolls Oblivion" on the new pc I bought last summer. When it was released the game was amazing from the beginning to the end and kept me playing for months if not 1 or two years. Today of course, the game seems to be very outdated. I have never downloaded and installed any mods for Oblivion but know from friends that the game was made better and better as time went bye and various modders released enhancements and new content for the game.

I probably started using mods some time after Empire total war was released. Empire is in it`s vanila form (vanila being the games state without any addet content) a unfished mess filled with bugs and other crap. The game was practicaly made playable by the modders in the great fan community of the series. To me a mods prime function should always be to add additional content to a great game. Which I guess the best examples for are the various mods released for Skyrim and Fallout 3/Fallout New Vegas aswell as the awsome Third Age mod for Medieval 2.

I have tried myself to create mods for the games Empire and Shogun 2, but the process of creating mods for games of that series is very long and tedious and will sooner or later brake whatever motivation to this you once had. Concerning Skyrim, the modding community is enormous and no matter what you may have wanted added to the game as a mod, I bet that it already exists.

What are your expiriences with mods? Are there mods that you can recommend?
RE: Modding and Mods.
I recommend swapping the 1.6L 2T-C motor
for the 1.8L 3T-C on the 1974 Toyota Corolla.
The 1.8L displacement is achieved by using
shorter connecting rods between the pistons
and the crankshaft, thus resulting in a higher
compression ration which produces greater
torque. I suggest modifying the gearbox to
a five speed manual with a short intermittent
throw between close gears until a long final
drive. You mentioned cars…..
Stimbo hurt my feelings once, so I'm on the fence with mods overall, thanks to that. Sad

Now Kay, OTOH....she I can recommend. Smile
I used to make mods for The Sims. Nothing much, just a few hacked objects and skins and things like that. It was really easy to mod that game though. It was designed for player-created content to be added and there were tons of tutorials on the internet.
I was involved in the Doom modding community way back when. Doom 1, that is. Got a mention in the Doom FAQ that was included with the retail box and in the download version.

Haven't done much since then. Modding was tough back then, we didn't have the support or the tools that exist now.
I once recorded myself saying

"I use to be an adventurer like you, but then I took a mace to the face."

And wanted to add it into Skyrim as a dialog line for the guards. But I was not satisfied with my voice.

Even today, modding a game with all the available tools is hard. Some developers like CA actualy release tools which dont give people the capacities to make proper mods.

Betheseda is one of the few developers that releases actualy usefull tools.
Darthmod for Empire.

There is also a mod out for Rome TW 2. It desperately needs it.
(September 22, 2013 at 8:02 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Darthmod for Empire.

There is also a mod out for Rome TW 2. It desperately needs it.

Darthmod pritty much made Empire playable. A pitty though that Darth Vader retired from making mods. He is desperatly needed right now for Rome 2. I am currently settling with Radious and his mods.
I'm going to wait a while longer.
(September 22, 2013 at 8:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote: I'm going to wait a while longer.

lol You think you can resist the urge?

I am already in my 4th campain as Athens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The idea behind mods Apex1050 5 863 May 30, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb