Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing Education
Fixing Education
I been thinking on the topic of education in the United States (other opinions in other countries and through opinions of scientists such as Michio Kaku and Neil Degrasse Tyson. I have pondered on several obvious flaws concerning our current education I noticed at least in my perception several psychological flaws with our current system and a few in higher education financial and cultural flaws.

Psychological

1. Conformity in the sense that due to uniform policies and forced mental thinking. It appears individual thinking “within reason” is crushed throughout younger grade school levels. This is supported by the one size fits all educational approach, discouraging use of curiosity if it opposes the paradigm of either the school or teacher, the suppression of psychological preference for certain subjects over others.
2. Curiosity is often crushed in favor of maintaining syllabus. While we need reason and logic to maintain a orderly learning environment. I find the overall inability to enable exploration of individual talents suppressed. I had this happen to myself in 2nd grade when I wanted to read things on black holes and tornados over children’s books on a caterpillar that ate a lot. Michio touches on this in a youtube short on how usually curiosity in our educational system is crushed throughout high school.
3. Total lack of emotional and mental support from the education system. As we all know it is not the teachers “job” to raise the kid. With that said we can assume that they child will have a stable home, neither should we assume the individual’s neural and mental health was always up to par. There is observational evidence that suggests emotional and neural health affects the overall learning ability of an individual.

Financial

This pertains mostly to higher education, I feel the financial hurdles required to pursue higher education absurd. In my perception I considering mobility to pursue careers based on personal preference should be enabled to the point of least resistance. I am not 100% sure how to accomplish this goal, however I feel for the future of technological and social evolution it is important we resolve this issues. I find the fact one has to take on 20k-200k in debt to achieve an education or in other words a piece of paper absurd for a modern society. I know this is a politically charged topic, as this should be a social topic. I feel the financial limitations severely cripples social development.

My proposed solutions.

1. I believe order is important as younger humans (5-18) are at times irrational and require stability and a set schedule to help organize their time correctly. This however should not severely limit individuality mentally. I think psychological testing and observation can really help improve to create a customized learning program for each person or group of people (I am not an expert on psychology) tailored to maximize interest and individual talents.
2. Curiosity is a natural instinct of the human mind and should be used to the advantage of the person rather than stamped out. I feel with the above proposal is to allow, within reason, a student’s flexibility to explore and learn outside of a syllabus. This can be very rewarding as self-discovery might happen at a younger age. Possible exploit this to help an individual learn things that otherwise might be uninteresting.
3. Mental and neurological issues are now becoming more and more to be taken seriously. With that trend I feel since most of a young person’s life is in school. Emotional and neurological needs should be met. It would not only impact positively on the individuals life. It would impact the overall perception of education. It would also help shore up issues at the home and might even negate bullying to some degree as most cases are emotional outbursts due to issues in the head.

The solution I think to decrease the cost of education here in the USA, would be cut military budget by 10% (as we should only need it for national defense, it seems to work for other countries pretty well) and use that to pay for college for everyone. I am not fully educated on the back ground of our educational system, however eliminating college expenses would help out our economy, but promote innovation and new generations of scientists and other career fields.

These are my ideas in a nut shell, if in person I could elaborate better. I feel though reform of the educational system is important if not one of the most. Knowledge kills ignorance and ignorance often times is the breeding ground for a lot of social issues and emotional ones too.

Delete this one one, internet lagg caused a double post sorry. Sad
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Our next Secretary of Education! Aegon 16 2288 February 1, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Trump names Falwell Jr. to Higher Education Task Force Cecelia 8 1466 February 1, 2017 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Fixing Education bladevalant546 63 8594 September 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: gilbertc06
  Is free education bad? Something completely different 16 3540 September 28, 2013 at 4:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Education in America Nightfoot92 20 5556 July 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Well America Education system may just be plain screwed Gooders1002 17 6391 February 16, 2013 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Effect of College Education On the Presidential Election pocaracas 13 6100 November 10, 2012 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  education in the west liam 0 989 June 21, 2012 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: liam
  Some Texas State Board of Education crazy fundie members are up for reelection. Ziploc Surprise 6 2951 March 26, 2012 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Violet
Video Want to see how the Kochs ("Cokes") are ending public education? Judas BentHer 0 906 August 16, 2011 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer