Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Richard Dawkins on The O' Reilly Factor (10.9.09)
Richard Dawkins on The O' Reilly Factor (10.9.09)
This last Friday, Richard Dawkins was on the O' Reilly factor, which for those who don't know, is a conservative (Republican) political and news program hosted by Bill O' Reilly. (who is a bumbling shouting idiot by the way..but that's a different discussion perhaps).

(I'm gonna use the new feature...) You can watch the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECE77Imki9M

Anyway, the discussion they had (which was not live by the way...Fox News edited it before it aired) was interesting.

O Reilly's main argument, which he decided to spew throughout the interview, was the argument from ignorance. Despite Dawkins' continued alert to O Reilly's logical fallacies, Bill continued to assert this claim.

Bill decided that because science does not know yet the origin of the universe, that believing a deity or higher power is more acceptable.

Later on in the discussion, Bill asserts that if evolution is included in a science class then so should the other explanations for the origin and function of life. What he doesn't realize of course is the credentials for a truly scientific teaching, ex. evidence. Since when are classes taught based upon people's opinions? They are meant to be factual enlightenment, not a display of one side's view and the other's.

I like (sarcasm alert) how Fox News devotes much of the time allotted in this argument to Bill's 'preaching' rather than what Richard has to say. I also like how they give Former Professor of Biology at Oxford University and Best-Selling Author Richard Dawkins, the simple title of ATHEIST.

Your take on the discussion?

~Nick
"The finality of death is the coldest truth one must face. Religion makes the perfect distraction." - Anonymous
RE: Richard Dawkins on The O' Reilly Factor (10.9.09)
O'Reilly is a smug, bigoted, fundy nutjob who's ignorance and arrogance is typical of this kind of lunatic. He's one of those who believe that the louder you shout and the more you don't let the other side speak the greater validity your argument has.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
"Turn your earpiece down."

What a c*nt. Good on Dawkins to fight back at him though Big Grin
They mentioned it on the Non-prophets and they had P.Z. Myers on. Of course I think Dawkins did better, but the fans of O'Reilly think O'Reilly did better. *shrugs*
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Wow, I had the same expressions on my face as Richard Dawkins did during that interview. Let Bill O'Reilly believe what he and his sheep want to, but please, keep that garbage out of the schools and let our children learn.
binnyCoffee
(October 14, 2009 at 11:35 am)binny Wrote: Wow, I had the same expressions on my face as Richard Dawkins did during that interview. Let Bill O'Reilly believe what he and his sheep want to, but please, keep that garbage out of the schools and let our children learn.

Did the same expressions myself and you took the words right out of my mouth. Tongue
(October 14, 2009 at 9:40 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: They mentioned it on the Non-prophets and they had P.Z. Myers on. Of course I think Dawkins did better, but the fans of O'Reilly think O'Reilly did better. *shrugs*

There is no way to "win" an argument on the O'Reily factor, as they have the cameras, and the buttons, and the inclination to edit Bill O'Stupid in the foreground. The home advantage is great when you want to cheat.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Dawkins reaction to O'Reilly's facism attack was hilarious. Sheer bewilderment.

Also, the random panning images of Christ during the interview was hilarious to me.
- Meatball
Ignorance at it's best! What a dim witted fool O' Reilly is, believing in fairytales.

I am glad that Dawkins fought back.

@ binny, I agree with you. Kids need to learn, especially science.

Fundys should stay out of schools, and they shouldn't tell the teachers what they should and shouldn't teach.
I didn't get why he was saying that religion should be introduced into science lessons at all. He seemed to be saying the opposite and agreeing that it was indeed theology and separate. Painful watching indeed. Such an ugly representation of faith.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3273 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6561 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 805 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2286 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5709 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1704 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12992 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4250 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Decline In Religion Frightens Bill O’Reilly Manowar 14 2748 December 31, 2016 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  John Lennox and Richard Dawkins TheMonster 8 2245 October 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: TheMonster