Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The US elections
The US elections
Ever since the start of the presidential elections the British media has been all over it.

It seems that Obama and Mccain are going head to head.

Who do you think will win?
RE: The US elections
I honestly do not know who will win. I hope it is Obama, but then again the American public did re-elect Bush so you'll have to excuse my lack of confidence in the majority of the voters.
(August 26, 2008 at 6:28 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I honestly do not know who will win. I hope it is Obama, but then again the American public did re-elect Bush so you'll have to excuse my lack of confidence in the majority of the voters.

At least the 'born again christians' would vote democrat.

http://redblueamerica.com/blog/2008-03-0...lican-1469
I support Obama. I am an Independant but I tend to vote for Democrats. Last night he made a brilliant speech that echoed everything I stand for and support, so I certainly hope that he wins. I live in MA so I'm not concerned about my state. We reliably vote blue.

One thing that I appreciate about Obama is his stance on the seperation of church and state as defined in this speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXcvbnzNIjg I think he respects Atheists and he also respects gays which is important to me as a bisexual.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(August 29, 2008 at 10:35 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: I think he respects Atheists and he also respects gays which is important to me as a bisexual.

I find it odd, a lot of Atheists I know are bi.

Coincidence?
I am. Perhaps we should do a poll...
(August 29, 2008 at 12:23 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I am. Perhaps we should do a poll...

I've got enough threads (too many) so go for it.
(August 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm)Brick-top Wrote:
(August 29, 2008 at 10:35 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: I think he respects Atheists and he also respects gays which is important to me as a bisexual.

I find it odd, a lot of Atheists I know are bi.

Coincidence?

XD I've never noticed. I have a lot of Bi friends but I haven't asked if they're athiests. Although I did just ask the one friend I know to be a firm atheist and she is bi. (I wasn't sure but thought so)
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
(August 29, 2008 at 10:35 am)Eilonnwy Wrote: I support Obama. I am an Independant but I tend to vote for Democrats. Last night he made a brilliant speech that echoed everything I stand for and support, so I certainly hope that he wins. I live in MA so I'm not concerned about my state. We reliably vote blue.

One thing that I appreciate about Obama is his stance on the seperation of church and state as defined in this speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXcvbnzNIjg I think he respects Atheists and he also respects gays which is important to me as a bisexual.

But Obama said he would not only support the state funding of religious organizations, but would expand it. So to get real access to federal funds to provide social services, organizations will have to become religious.

I think Obama is concerned about making sure that the state does not openly promote one religion over another, but that is the extent of it. I don't think he has any intention of doing anything about the plight of those living under the yoke of the defacto, non-denominational theocracy that prevails in the US due to the mechanism of majority rule.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  State level elections in BAvaria yield ground breaking results Deesse23 0 239 October 15, 2018 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Lets get rid of primary elections when electing our president GODZILLA 79 8381 July 2, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  The 2018 mid-term US elections. Jehanne 18 4446 October 7, 2017 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are elections always as nasty as this last one we had NuclearEnergy 14 3644 January 21, 2017 at 8:53 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Hilary wanted to rig the Palestian elections ReptilianPeon 55 7853 December 22, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  2016 Elections Foxaèr 162 15817 May 2, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  Publicly financed elections. Heywood 54 10311 November 23, 2014 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  In Case Anyone Forgets What Our Elections Are Really About. Minimalist 10 2220 November 5, 2014 at 8:41 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Elections coming up Manowar 0 817 October 30, 2014 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Manowar
  Which party is going to win next UK elections? Meylis Delano Lawrence 20 5533 March 5, 2013 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx