Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bible and Historical Documents
The Bible and Historical Documents
Hey All.

Quick question. Now I know the Romans were keen documenters so am I right in assuming there are documents that exist describing and collaborating some of the event of the bible?

And equally I would assume not mentioning walking on water and water to wine etc.

Cheers
RE: The Bible and Historical Documents
Short answer: Jesus who?

Long answer: others here can supply more thoroughly.
Only answer. No.
(September 25, 2013 at 2:17 am)Minimalist Wrote: Only answer. No.

Right. Thorough. Smile
If such documents exist, they've never been found. And I'm thinking that they're very unlikely to be found. You'd think that the miracles described in the bible would have been written about by at least one non-biblical author.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I was thinking more about the not so exciting stuff. Obviously miracles aren't documented as they are clearly horse shit. But surely there's something that correlates with some biblical events
There isn't any record of Pilate ever having a case involving Jesus. That's part of the problem with the biblical stories. Roman empire was very meticulous in record keeping. There should have been a record of his trial and conviction. So did it ever happen?
It's possible that it happened and the records were lost. Maybe the Romans crucified a Jesus who they had no reason to believe was anything but a dangerous con artist. Maybe his few ragtag "followers" scattered the moment they took him into custody and no one really gave a shit that yet another prettyboy got nailed to a cross and died alone and ignored. Maybe the Bible is the literary equivalent of a TV movie that is "based on a true story."
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
That's my point. Surely some stuff must exist? There must be some biblical scholars who have connected non religious accounts with biblical events.

I dunno... Just curious about what's real and what's not.
There are no contemporary works about Jesus. Nothing that's ever been found, anyway. The gospels were written around 70 CE, and just nothing else from those times ever mentions him. Which is one reason I don't believe that he as a person ever really existed, certainly not the Jesus of the bible.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.R.R Tolkien historical support of Franco of Spain, whats your view on it? Woah0 2 466 August 14, 2022 at 8:12 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Famous quotes of historical republicans..... Brian37 11 1350 November 20, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  All NSA documents released since June 2013 Mudhammam 2 967 January 10, 2014 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Mystical
  Nelson Mandela and historical revisionism. I and I 17 7414 December 7, 2013 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: I and I
  A historical perspective: Dubya was a complete failure TaraJo 30 10906 December 5, 2012 at 1:42 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Favourite Dictators/Historical Leaders Napoléon 51 18578 June 14, 2012 at 4:43 am
Last Post: rajsharma
  Animated Historical Maps Dean-o 5 1951 June 2, 2011 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Shell B
  The Historical Christ dagda 104 27778 August 5, 2009 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Historical Accuracy of Christ dagda 23 13455 October 10, 2008 at 10:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet