Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insulting no more
Insulting no more
Over the past few days I've let some of you drag me down into the practice of trading personal insults; for my part in it, I humbly apologize. Personal attacks turn conversations into a matter of winning or losing, instead of trading ideas that promote growth and understanding.

Even if I think an idea is beyond rational, this doesn't mean that every thought in someone's head is irrational. So, I am returning to the art of focusing solely on the topic and not the person behind each reply.

If I ever find myself debating any topic outside of the internet, I want to know that, even if my position is wrong, I came away with the respect of my audience.
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
RE: Insulting no more
But whyyyyyy?

Insults are just so fun, and creative!

http://www.pangloss.com/seidel/Shaker/
What did I miss?!
(September 29, 2013 at 11:25 am)Walking Void Wrote: What did I miss?!

Nothing, really. It's just more verbally caustic here than I'm used to. I don't want to 'win' arguments, and I don't want to waste my time or anyone elses' by playing the "I can't beat you with logic, so I'll beat you with insults," game. It doesn't go anywhere and it makes us atheists look like a bunch of mindless brutes.
There is an ALLLL-knowing, ALLLL-powerful, inVISible being who is everywhere, who created the WHOLE universe, who lives in another dimension called heaven, who is perfect in every way, who was never born and will never die, and who watches you every minute of every day (even when you're squeezing one out on the toilet). There are also unicorns, leprechauns, Santa Claus, an Easter Bunny, and a giant purple people eater.

JUST BELIEVE IT!
(September 29, 2013 at 11:33 am)Jiggerj Wrote: makes us atheists look like a bunch of mindless brutes.

We're not a fuckin' congregation dude, people can do and say what they please. One insulting atheist isn't representative of all atheists just the same as if I found a Christian who was using rude language they wouldn't be representative of all Christians.

Anyone with half a brain would realise that, and those who don't, frankly probably deserve to be insulted.

I'm all for rational discourse, but sometimes people really do need to be told when they're being a complete nimcompoop, and if it's funny, who the fuck cares.
(September 29, 2013 at 11:33 am)Jiggerj Wrote:
(September 29, 2013 at 11:25 am)Walking Void Wrote: What did I miss?!

Nothing, really. It's just more verbally caustic here than I'm used to. I don't want to 'win' arguments, and I don't want to waste my time or anyone elses' by playing the "I can't beat you with logic, so I'll beat you with insults," game. It doesn't go anywhere and it makes us atheists look like a bunch of mindless brutes.

Aw man, I thought I missed a flame war with butthurt everywhere You look.
No one is required to take you seriously enough to have a rational discussion. My advice to you is to try to adopt this attitude, especially while on the internet:

[Image: 1257.jpg]
Crazy ideas inevitably get challenged by members in a group as diverse as we have here.
What exactly was the discussion?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(September 29, 2013 at 8:07 am)Jiggerj Wrote: Over the past few days I've let some of you drag me down into the practice of trading personal insults; for my part in it, I humbly apologize. Personal attacks turn conversations into a matter of winning or losing, instead of trading ideas that promote growth and understanding.

Even if I think an idea is beyond rational, this doesn't mean that every thought in someone's head is irrational. So, I am returning to the art of focusing solely on the topic and not the person behind each reply.

If I ever find myself debating any topic outside of the internet, I want to know that, even if my position is wrong, I came away with the respect of my audience.

Go fuck yourself

[Image: trollface_small_normal2pl7.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Survey says! If you use more emojis than the norm, you think about sex more *Deidre* 28 5564 January 12, 2016 at 11:00 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet