Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:17 pm

Poll: Where are you on the Dawkins scale?
This poll is closed.
Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God.
3.45%
1 3.45%
De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent.
6.90%
2 6.90%
Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high.
0%
0 0%
Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent.
0%
0 0%
Leaning towards Agnosticism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low.
6.90%
2 6.90%
De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero.
44.83%
13 44.83%
Strong atheist. 100 per cent
13.79%
4 13.79%
I reject the Dawkins scale.
24.14%
7 24.14%
Total 29 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are you on the Dawkins scale?
Where are you on the Dawkins scale?
In another thread pocararas brought up the Dawkins scale. Where are you on the Dawkins scale?

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
  2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
  3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
  4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
  5. Leaning towards Agnosticism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
  6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
  7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."
RE: Where are you on the Dawkins scale?
Take your scale and shove it up your ass
Well that escalated quickly...
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
When trains leap the tracks still halfway in the station.
(September 29, 2013 at 6:14 pm)Heir Apparent Wrote: Well that escalated quickly...

The kind of person who determines his or others character through scales is an asshole.

There is an exception in this case, I will admit that Vinny was most likely an asshole before he started using scales.
(September 29, 2013 at 6:22 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote:
(September 29, 2013 at 6:14 pm)Heir Apparent Wrote: Well that escalated quickly...

The kind of person who determines his or others character through scales is an asshole.

There is an exception in this case, I will admit that Vinny was most likely an asshole before he started using scales.

Oh believe me, I know. I've been casually reading through his "why atheism is false" thread (I think that's what it's called, all I see is "I don't know what atheism is and I'm biased"). So yeah, I'm with you.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
From what little I've seen, I think Dawkins should stick to evolutionary biology.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Fuck, I broke the scale...

...with my hammer(?).
I don't care. If any of the gods I routinely hear about showed up, I'd fight it tooth and nail, find Satan's team and join it, be a freedom fighter. If a nice loving god showed up, my life would change very little except that I'd believe in it.

I just don't care if any of the myriad gods on offer is real or not, and I've never seen or heard anything that either made me care or made me stop and wonder (although I've seen and heard enough bad theist behavior to make the whole thing seem odious). So screw the Dawkins scale.
The Dawkins' scale is meaningless to me when presented as a % of likelihood.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dawkins, Rowling, Sunak et al on Trans Issue and Women's Rights. Nishant Xavier 63 3257 July 15, 2023 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Dawkins loses humanist title Foxaèr 165 6493 June 6, 2021 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Richard Dawkins interviews Saudi Arabian atheist Rana Ahmad AniKoferBo 2 801 July 22, 2020 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Ricky Gervais won Dawkins award this year Fake Messiah 13 2281 September 6, 2019 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Dawkins writing kid's version of "The God Delusion" - you mad bro? Foxaèr 35 5682 August 2, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Geoff Robson has a hardon for Dawkins Foxaèr 7 1701 May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 12966 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Hitchens, Dawkins, Hawking, Ehrman, Coin, Sagan: Where are the Woman? Rhondazvous 44 4219 January 14, 2017 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  John Lennox and Richard Dawkins TheMonster 8 2237 October 14, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: TheMonster
  Love Letters to Richard Dawkins Czechlervitz30 6 2013 July 20, 2016 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Viking