Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun control
Gun control
This article (Children and Guns: The Hidden Toll) was on the front page of the New York Times today. It left me speechless.

I have barely ever touched a gun (just unloaded antiques) and I don't understand the fixation. Are there any reasonable NRA members here who can help me understand this? It appears that the gun lobby is simply fucking insane. I'd appreciate some insight to help me process this.
RE: Gun control
Gun fondlers are insane.

http://youtu.be/N0Wn3Eey6dY
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Boys and their toys, Zazzy. They'll insist other more 'noble' reasons, but it's all about shiny bang sticks.

And fear.
Quote:“It Was a Horrible, Horrible Accident”

No. It is not an accident. It is the foreseeable result of leaving loaded guns laying around the house.
(September 29, 2013 at 8:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:“It Was a Horrible, Horrible Accident”

No. It is not an accident. It is the foreseeable result of leaving loaded guns laying around the house.
Should these people be prosecuted, Min? They have been fucktards of the highest order, but they have also been punished so terribly by their idiocy- the worst punishment I can imagine. Although if you get to the end of the article, there's a touching scene where a father takes his kid (who some years before had shot his younger sibling to death accidentally) hunting as some weird form of expiation- strange and awful.

I just don't know what I think about prosecution of these parents.
i really dont understand the obsession with guns but kind of understand why some gun laws first made it into the u.s. constitution. why the same right to bear arms applies to modern day weaponry in modern times i don't know. gun lobby's and money i would guess?
I hate to say this because of the loss they suffered. But this isn't about the parents, it's about the children who lost their lives. Their parents were irresponsible, no other word for it. You leave a loaded weapon or a weapon lying around, and somehow your kid knows how to operate it and find the bullets for it. And then you tell them not to do it.

They're children! They don't know what responsibility is. They just want to have fun, they don't deserve any of this. Even I, who has always worked hard at reducing my chances of having to babysit kids, know that kids cannot be trusted for anything. You have to watch them. Some of the kids are so young I doubt they understood the concept of death enough to understand why guns are dangerous.

It's common sense, would anyone let a kid play with a knife under supervision? But a gun, let's teach them how to use one.
Quote:Should these people be prosecuted, Min?

If a parent leaves his kid in a car and goes into the house and his kid dies they are prosecuted.

http://autos.aol.com/article/kids-car-he...revention/
I think my favorite quote from the article is from a mother whose husband was prosecuted for leaving the gun UNDER THE SOFA CUSHIONS for their 3-year-old to find, and then the kid shot himself:
Quote: Lucas’s father, Joshua Heagren, had tried to teach the 3-year-old to respect firearms. The boy had gotten a .22 rifle for Christmas, and his father showed him how to fire it. But he also warned him to handle it only when an adult was present.

“He never even attempted to touch guns when Josh wasn’t around,” Lucas’s mother, Kaitlin Campbell, testified at Mr. Heagren’s trial, where he was convicted of negligent homicide and endangering children. “He knew.”

He's THREE YEARS OLD, lady. Kids that age don't know it's bad to stick their fingers up their butts and then suck on them, even though you've probably told him a million times not to.

What is UP with this? Are we really that crazy and stupid a people?
*removes fingers from mouth, sniffs them, shrugs and put them back*

Never underestimate the power of stupid. It afflicts people from all walks of life.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you think about gun control? FlatAssembler 93 3998 February 21, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Another Gun Thread Foxaèr 254 18900 September 29, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Population control onlinebiker 43 2687 April 11, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Proof gun control works GrandizerII 115 6185 August 23, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Is Trump Hate Legit or Mob Control? jessieban 37 5495 June 21, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Why People Ignore Facts (Gun Control) Jade-Green Stone 22 1643 December 5, 2018 at 9:03 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Republicans Lack Of Self Control BrianSoddingBoru4 45 4735 August 30, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  White House Gun Meeting Foxaèr 23 2138 March 1, 2018 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The Despicability of Gun Turds Minimalist 5 791 February 23, 2018 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Despicability of Gun Turds Minimalist 1 541 February 23, 2018 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: Jackalope