Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questioning My Religion
Questioning My Religion
Hey, I'm brand new to this forum, and I specifically signed up to talk about my recent religious experiences.

I was born into a Catholic family, but in about 4th grade, I told my parents I was done with doing "CCD" I stopped doing that, and in about middle school i was "agnostic" then that quickly progressed to being "atheist' It never made sense to me.

If there's fossil evidence of humans being on Earth for a few hundred thousand years, and creatures being on earth for well over a few hundred million years, just the story of jesus christ being only 2,000 years ago never made sense to me. There's many more reasons I doubt Christianity, and religion in general, but I wont get into that.

Last week, as I remember, I was laying in bed, doubting the existence of god. and I said to myself in my head "if there was a god, he'd show me a sign he's real, he would be able to prove his existence to me. If theres a god, do something drastic in my life, change something drastic." At the moment I was laying in bed with my cat and was thinking somewhat along the lines of "Hopefully my cat will be okay" or maybe "Take my cat or something prove it" then I backtracked and was like "wait just do anything but the cat, do something good in my life"

Days later..... Sprite, my beautiful siamese cat, who was 10 young years of age, and happier than hes ever been in his life..... Is gone.

My best friend, is gone.

I'm so god damn perplexed. Did a "god" actually hear me and to spite me my cat is lost? or stolen?

It's really puzzling me, and now I've been depressed since.

What would you do if you were in my shoes? I'm struggling to even get on with my life. I really really miss my cat, he was truly my bud.

Now I'm questioning my faith... Is there really a god? Could he have seriously spited me? Or is this just an unlucky turn of events?
RE: Questioning My Religion
Hi, welcome.

I'm so sorry about your cat, don't blame yourself because of a coincidence.

There's a high chance theists on this forum will jump on you and tell you this is a sign from god. Just because A happens after B doesn't mean B caused A.

Well if anyone did something like that to my dog, I wouldn't worship him.
(September 30, 2013 at 12:40 am)pineapplebunnybounce Wrote: Hi, welcome.

I'm so sorry about your cat, don't blame yourself because of a coincidence.

There's a high chance theists on this forum will jump on you and tell you this is a sign from god. Just because A happens after B doesn't mean B caused A.

Well if anyone did something like that to my dog, I wouldn't worship him.

Thanks, that's somewhat how I am viewing it. If this "god" wants me to believe in his existence and worship through taking my cat, then he's no god of mine.
I agree with bunnybounce.

Anyway, do you think that if there was a god, he would wait a few days later to perform this sign from above? Why not do it at the exact moment you asked? Why leave room for doubt? To test your faith? Again, a god like that would not merit worship. Don't ya think?
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(September 30, 2013 at 1:11 am)Ivy Wrote: I agree with bunnybounce.

Anyway, do you think that if there was a god, he would wait a few days later to perform this sign from above? Why not do it at the exact moment you asked? Why leave room for doubt? To test your faith? Again, a god like that would not merit worship. Don't ya think?

I do think so, but i want my cat back I really miss him T_T
Sorry, udonson. I really am. Sad

Hope you find it soon.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(September 30, 2013 at 1:15 am)Ivy Wrote: Sorry, udonson. I really am. Sad

Hope you find it soon.

Thanks, I put up a lost cat sign at the local post office, but no luck so far/:
[Image: cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-...o-that.jpg]

If there was a god - and there isn't - he does not give a rat's ass about your cat.
We never truly own cats. While we as humans foolishly ponder if we even have free will, cats know they have it. He's not gone...he's just out 'doing his thang'.

Welcome to AF. Don't let 'signs' fool you...we are as terrible at interpreting them as we are at creating gods.
Well there is a god, then he is a idiot and that is a horrible way to demonstrate his existence. Still from a fellow cat, I hope your pussy returns to its home. I dunno what I would do if Cleopatra ran off.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16584 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Questioning Darwin Manowar 30 5265 February 18, 2014 at 4:13 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.