Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justice Department to Sue North Carolina
Justice Department to Sue North Carolina
over restrictive voting rights act.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013...ter-id-law

Quote:The Justice Department is preparing to sue North Carolina over that state's . The lawsuit takes aim at provisions that limit early voting periods and require a government photo ID as an illegal form of discrimination against minorities at the ballot box, according to a person briefed on the Justice Department's plans.

Good. Fuck those redneck bastards!
RE: Justice Department to Sue North Carolina
I agree that the Republicans have been forcing voting restrictions into different places in order to try to restrict minorities from voting, but one thing I have to wonder is what's so bad about showing a photo ID when voting? They do need to verify your identity somehow so you don't register and vote in several different districts under different assumed names.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
They're an endearing lot, aren't they?

Conspiracy alert: When my wife and I transferred our licenses here in North Cackalacky, we also re-registered to vote. Her independent choice was promptly responded to with an official acknowledgement in the mail...and a shit ton of spammy right winger flyers. My Democratic choice was greeted with...nothing. No letter, no notice, nothing.

I probably should get off my duff and get this sorted out, come to think of it.

Edit to add: And my ID pic? Two taped open eyelids shy of a crime scene photo. WTF is up with that?
Quote:but one thing I have to wonder is what's so bad about showing a photo ID when voting?

The requirement falls disproportionately on minorities and the elderly. Now, since the number of actual cases of voter "fraud" borders on the same low level as the possibly that fucking jesus will come riding in on a white horse and all the xtians fuckheads will go flying into the sky we must ask ourselves what is the purpose behind it.

Fortunately, these stupid bastards are very open about telling us.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/201...d-comment/

BTW, Turzai was wrong....the law was overturned by the courts and Romney lost Pennsylvania....but that doesn't mean they think it was a bad idea!
I agree that the amount of voter fraud is extremely low compared to the disproportionate amount of concern and effort Republicans are pretending to care about and combat it. Perhaps if they cared about accidental gun deaths of children that much they'd tell the NRA to go to hell and support sensible gun control legislation. But that wouldn't keep people from voting for Democrats.

I know the Rethuglians are just enacting these laws in order to try to keep certain people from the voting booth, but most people will have a government-issued photo ID anyway in the form of a driver's license or ID card, so it shouldn't be that much of a burden.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Children don't pour bribes into their campaign coffers the way the NRA does.
Yeah, they only care about children before they're born. If you shoot a child with your gun, that's just an unfortunate accident by someone practicing their Constitutional rights. But if you take a woman to an abortion clinic, then you're an evil child murderer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  North Sea oil LinuxGal 7 594 September 4, 2023 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  America. Worse than North Korea. deepend 195 7561 March 26, 2022 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Amy Coney Barnett officially confirmed as Supreme Court Justice Rev. Rye 33 2022 October 28, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Justice Obama? BrianSoddingBoru4 33 1538 August 26, 2020 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Justice Kennedy retiring! polymath257 30 3375 June 29, 2018 at 7:47 am
Last Post: Mermaid
  A Little Electoral Justice Minimalist 10 1691 November 10, 2017 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Justice Azu 7 1523 June 23, 2017 at 10:26 am
Last Post: henryp
  Is North Korea just insane? Renug 6 1428 May 29, 2017 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Are you wondering why the State Department is so supine in the face of dismemberment? GUBU 2 863 March 22, 2017 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Alex K
  North Korea executed 5 security officials, South Korea says KUSA 32 5208 March 2, 2017 at 7:16 am
Last Post: ignoramus