Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
And Hells come back to haunt me
And Hells come back to haunt me
Hi Folks,

I am in a bit of a Predicament, I read yesterday about the pascals wager and so I became a bit skeptic.

For the last year I have had problems about the 'Unforgivable Sin and Going to Hell' To rid myself of these problems I decided to read the Bible and see if I became an Atheist.

Honestly - I had never read the bible so the Unforgivable sin to me was one passage that I knew against the backdrop of all the ones I didn't know.

The way I think is that I need to read something for myself - Taking peoples word that I didn't commit it or using scripture does not work I need to learn this for myself.

That crap out of the way:: I decided to read the bible. I found 149 problems with it and that's without reading my SAB Bible.

By the end I was concrete in my opinion that God 'May' Exist but if he does we are all pretty much fucked as he Isn't very stable minded. And it also appears he punishes those who aren't on his team. E.g. Abraham - Lot - Joseph.

But since people are raising pascals wager I am a bit deluded as I now believe I am going to hell by the God of the Christian bible.

Weirdest thing is the fact that I don't much want to goto heaven as it doesn't sound much better e.g. Kissing Gods ass for eternity.

And lastly is the fact that I have my view on Genesis that falls apart quickly. Maybe I need to solidify my Athiest Belief?

Is this a correct view point - Would reading Exodus add more concrete to the Athiest Mixture or would it weaken it.
Rants and Raves from an Ex-Christian http://walkofthemonkeyman.blogspot.co.uk/
RE: And Hells come back to haunt me
Pascal was a fucking moron. The sum of his argument was "bet on a god existing just to be safe".

Here is the problem with that bullshit,

Which one? To insure you got the right one you'd have to bet on all of them existing, and no one in reality does that.

Secondly, if you bet on a god existing and one does not, you have wasted your entire life on a lie.

Third, what does that say about your own morality to base your life on the fear of punishment, rather than question to insure quality of data. This "safe bet" is asking you to forgo any thinking for yourself.

Pascal's "contribution" to humanity was to fuck us up even more than we already were. None of this "wager" is good for humanity. It still sells ignorance and credulity.
And lastly, worshiping a god because he's threatening you with eternal torture seems to be the ultimate abusive relationship. He tells you what you can or can't do, you have to keep groveling before him and telling him how great he is, all because he has the power to do terrible things to you.

No thanks.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
Quote:Would reading Exodus add more concrete to the Athiest Mixture or would it weaken it.

You can read it for the laughs just remember that there is not a shred of evidence that any of it actually happened.
(October 2, 2013 at 9:54 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: And lastly, worshiping a god because he's threatening you with eternal torture seems to be the ultimate abusive relationship. He tells you what you can or can't do, you have to keep groveling before him and telling him how great he is, all because he has the power to do terrible things to you.

No thanks.

It was understandable that humans bought into that crap, because when those myths were invented, even in polytheism prior, humans believed that their good fortune was the "divine right of kings" and even what we think our modern western governments were based on "ancient Greeks and Romans", even they had dictators. Many fail to see that those governments that had parliamentary "representation", there still was one ultimate head figure who had final say and could always, on a whim, if they wish, override the government they "allowed". It was also often the reason many of these dictators got assassinated.

The ancient Egyptians as well, prayed to the sun god and the Pharaohs believed that their position was do to divinity.

Ultimately in psychology history it still amounts to humans projecting their own strive for power and selfish narcissism.

"God" is merely a childish anthropomorphic reflection of our own selfish desires.
Have you ever known anyone with Alzheimer's Disease?

Because if you have, you know two things:
1.) The brain is the seat of the self. Damage it, and self disappears. Where? To hell? To heaven? While the person is still alive? Or could it be what it seems and what all research shows: that you are your brain, and when it goes, you go, and that's the end.
2.) Brain-damaging illnesses are hell on Earth. Eternal torment in a fiery pit sounds like pure BS to me, but Alzheimer's scares the shit out of me. You want hell? Visit an Alzheimer's ward.
Do you really believe that solidifying your atheism it will keep you out of hell, I mean really?

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(October 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm)Godschild Wrote: Do you really believe that solidifying your atheism it will keep you out of hell, I mean really?

Smile GC

Yes, actually.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
(October 2, 2013 at 10:38 pm)Beta Ray Bill Wrote:
(October 2, 2013 at 10:31 pm)Godschild Wrote: Do you really believe that solidifying your atheism it will keep you out of hell, I mean really?

Smile GC

Yes, actually.

I wasn't asking you.

Smile GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
I think I need "hell" to be defined if solidifying being an atheist can keep one out of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1280 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2646 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2396 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4637 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 734106 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 34798 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  'it will come back to you' Longhorn 23 4977 June 20, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Christians Come to the Waters... daver49 2 1252 March 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 22549 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  That Day will come as a trap on all the world professor 1458 175970 October 13, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie