Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and Religion
Science and Religion
I think one of the biggest myths is that religion / Theism is at odds with science. That is, the more we discover, the more it "buries" God.
This post typically looks at how "naïve" ancient religious were and that they did not have an understanding of the world, and the more we discover the world, it highlights how ignorant people were back then.

Science and religion answer DIFFERENT questions and attempt to gain different knowledge about the world.

Let me use an analogy.

Suppose we are in the late 17th century (the year the first motor vehicle) was built.

Lets suppose you are walking down a country track by yourself and you see this motor vehicle parked and their is no one around it. Lets also assume, you don't know what you are seeing, you never knew anything about a motor vehicle, you don't know its purpose. Basically, you see a chunk of metal in front of you.

You go up to it and look with amazement, you kick the wheel softly and you go inside and you think "what is this"?. Then slowly, slowly you turn the steering wheel and you realise the wheel turns etc etc. You turn on the engine etc etc and you begin to realise that this is a transporter. It transports you from location to location. It has a purpose. You are happy, ecstatic. You look around you and their is no one around The designer is not around, no one. No one knew anything about it. Days go past and you realise this is the best thing. You are happy. It is taking you from place to place. What a difference it has made to your life. Logically, it is reasonable to expect that this thing Is designed with the intent of transporting you. All at the same time, you are IGNORANT of the mechanics of how the thing works, ie, mechanics, combustion etc etc. You have no idea how it works. However, everyday, you are praising everyday in your mind the creator of this great machinery. "What a great designer, how smart is he etc etc". This person in my example is like the Theist. Based on what he sees, he is reasonable to conclude that this piece of machinery is designed, even though he has never seen the designer, never had any "a priori' knowledge of cars etc etc.

Now, as time goes along, other people see this car and they investigate it, observe it, test it and find out how it works. In my example, this is like scientists. They are working out how things work, gaining knowledge etc etc.

Now, aren't BOTH parties correct and rational? The person who found the car, even though he was ignorant on how it worked, he just praised the designer he never saw and basically said "someone did this".....and the mechanics who figured out how it works? Aren't BOTH views correct?

Science is the study of the natural world, how things work, ie, thunder, lightning, weather, oceans etc etc etc. Theology is the study of the designer ete etc.

I don't see the conflict. They both attempt to answer different questions and attempt to gain different knowledge.
RE: Science and Religion
In your example both are correct but lets look at another example:

[Image: GiantsCauseway.jpg]

This is the Giants causeway. Your hapless discoverer finds it and it amazed. He then goes off and is told of the legend of the causeway:

Then scientists come along and explain the causeway but your guy won't accept it because it conflicts with his story.
(October 2, 2013 at 9:25 am)Tortino Wrote: I think one of the biggest myths is that religion / Theism is at odds with science. That is, the more we discover, the more it "buries" God.
This post typically looks at how "naïve" ancient religious were and that they did not have an understanding of the world, and the more we discover the world, it highlights how ignorant people were back then.

Science and religion answer DIFFERENT questions and attempt to gain different knowledge about the world.

Let me use an analogy.

Suppose we are in the late 17th century (the year the first motor vehicle) was built.

Lets suppose you are walking down a country track by yourself and you see this motor vehicle parked and their is no one around it. Lets also assume, you don't know what you are seeing, you never knew anything about a motor vehicle, you don't know its purpose. Basically, you see a chunk of metal in front of you.

You go up to it and look with amazement, you kick the wheel softly and you go inside and you think "what is this"?. Then slowly, slowly you turn the steering wheel and you realise the wheel turns etc etc. You turn on the engine etc etc and you begin to realise that this is a transporter. It transports you from location to location. It has a purpose. You are happy, ecstatic. You look around you and their is no one around The designer is not around, no one. No one knew anything about it. Days go past and you realise this is the best thing. You are happy. It is taking you from place to place. What a difference it has made to your life. Logically, it is reasonable to expect that this thing Is designed with the intent of transporting you. All at the same time, you are IGNORANT of the mechanics of how the thing works, ie, mechanics, combustion etc etc. You have no idea how it works. However, everyday, you are praising everyday in your mind the creator of this great machinery. "What a great designer, how smart is he etc etc". This person in my example is like the Theist. Based on what he sees, he is reasonable to conclude that this piece of machinery is designed, even though he has never seen the designer, never had any "a priori' knowledge of cars etc etc.

Now, as time goes along, other people see this car and they investigate it, observe it, test it and find out how it works. In my example, this is like scientists. They are working out how things work, gaining knowledge etc etc.

Now, aren't BOTH parties correct and rational? The person who found the car, even though he was ignorant on how it worked, he just praised the designer he never saw and basically said "someone did this".....and the mechanics who figured out how it works? Aren't BOTH views correct?

Science is the study of the natural world, how things work, ie, thunder, lightning, weather, oceans etc etc etc. Theology is the study of the designer ete etc.

I don't see the conflict. They both attempt to answer different questions and attempt to gain different knowledge.

There definitely is conflict you would have to be blind to not see it.

Lets continue to use your analogy, now imagine the man who found the car insisted the steering wheel was made in a certain way in a certain factory and anyone who said he was wrong was going to be punished in excruciating pain forever.

The people investigating the car actually find out the man was wrong and it wasn't made in the way he thought or in the place he thought, but the first man who found the car still insists the investigators are wrong.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(October 2, 2013 at 9:41 am)max-greece Wrote: In your example both are correct but lets look at another example:

[Image: GiantsCauseway.jpg]

This is the Giants causeway. Your hapless discoverer finds it and it amazed. He then goes off and is told of the legend of the causeway:

Then scientists come along and explain the causeway but your guy won't accept it because it conflicts with his story.

Sure, but can you really compare that to the extreme complexity of a single human cell? Let alone the human body?
We are discussing why religion and science are actually at odds.

What has "Sure, but can you really compare that to the extreme complexity of a single human cell? Let alone the human body?" got to do with it?
(October 2, 2013 at 9:52 am)paulpablo Wrote:
(October 2, 2013 at 9:25 am)Tortino Wrote: I think one of the biggest myths is that religion / Theism is at odds with science. That is, the more we discover, the more it "buries" God.

Let me use an analogy.

There definitely is conflict you would have to be blind to not see it.

Lets continue to use your analogy, now imagine the man who found the car insisted the steering wheel was made in a certain way in a certain factory and anyone who said he was wrong was going to be punished in excruciating pain forever.

I am not sure how this is relevant to my argument.

The people investigating the car actually find out the man was wrong and it wasn't made in the way he thought or in the place he thought, but the first man who found the car still insists the investigators are wrong.

This becomes a different question. Not a question of was it designed? As you notice in my analogy, he has never seen a car before, never had any concept on one...So how can he think it would be different if he never had any concept on one?

(October 2, 2013 at 10:13 am)max-greece Wrote: We are discussing why religion and science are actually at odds.

What has "Sure, but can you really compare that to the extreme complexity of a single human cell? Let alone the human body?" got to do with it?

Would you agree that as a general rule of thumb, the more complex something appears, the more likely it is designed?

Compare that rock formation you showed to if you saw written on the beach "I love you sandy"?
Your analogy falls flat, as the others have pointed out, because driving a car invented by demonstrable designers in no way compares to how someone interacts with religion.

By the way, the first motor vehicle was built two whole centuries following the 17th century.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(October 2, 2013 at 10:21 am)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Your analogy falls flat, as the others have pointed out, because driving a car invented by demonstrable designers in no way compares to how someone interacts with religion.

What? If you had read it properly, you would realise that the person saw a "chunk of metal" and had no "a-priori" knowledge of what it was.

The person based on his logic concluded the car was designed, but was completely ignorant as to how the car works mechanically. He praised the designer.

Then as time went, people found out how the car worked, ie, combustion etc etc.

People don't say, "well, we now know how the car works mechanically, you are an idiot for thinking it was designed".

This is a classic example of the 2 parties talking past each other.
(October 2, 2013 at 10:16 am)Tortino Wrote:
(October 2, 2013 at 9:52 am)paulpablo Wrote: There definitely is conflict you would have to be blind to not see it.

I am not sure how this is relevant to my argument.

This becomes a different question. Not a question of was it designed? As you notice in my analogy, he has never seen a car before, never had any concept on one...So how can he think it would be different if he never had any concept on one?

(October 2, 2013 at 10:13 am)max-greece Wrote: We are discussing why religion and science are actually at odds.

Would you agree that as a general rule of thumb, the more complex something appears, the more likely it is designed?

Compare that rock formation you showed to if you saw written on the beach "I love you sandy"?

No. Compared to a hurricane, a single cloud is less complex, a hurricane is more complex, but you are not stupid enough to think the ocean god Posiden exists and caused that complex hurricane because of the complexity of a hurricane.

If you can accept that Thor does not make lightening, surely you can see the absurdity of your own pet god claim.

"I love you Sandy" wow, ok what if the rocks said "FUCK YOU"

See you focus on the "pretty things" ignoring the nasty shit in nature. Childhood cancer(cancer is complex). Ecoli(complex bacteria).

Why do cockroaches outnumber humans? Why do eagles have better eyesight than humans? Why do men have nipples?

You do know that a giraffe has a useless nerve that goes from one ear, all the way down the neck, then back up to the other ear. Isn't the fastest path a straight line?

Oh and my personal fave comes from Christopher Hitchens on the issue of "design ". "He put an entertainment system(our sex organs) in the middle of a sewage system".

Not to mention in his perfect "design" we breath and eat through the same tube which means we can choke to death if our breathing tube gets blocked. Yet dolphins and whales don't have that problem.
You seem to now want to discuss something outside of your original post.

Originally you asked why religion and science were perceived to be at odds. Now you are pushing design.

And that is why religion and science are at odds.

""Would you agree that as a general rule of thumb, the more complex something appears, the more likely it is designed?"

No. All the most complex things we see are living life-forms and they show no signs of design.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4250 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38831 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  Why science and religious fatih need not be in conflict: It's as easy as 1-2-3! Whateverist 123 37218 May 15, 2017 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why Science and religious faith are in conflict. Jehanne 28 7830 May 1, 2017 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Science and Religion not in direct conflict? maestroanth 26 5119 December 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16587 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism
  Observational Science vs. Historical Science?! Duke Guilmon 8 3373 April 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Can Science and religion co-exist? Manowar 42 9092 March 30, 2014 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
Rainbow Science vs Religion: A Brief History of Anger RageaholicsAnonymous 8 2667 October 2, 2013 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Cato
  Would you be an atheist if science and reason wasn't supportive of atheism? Vincenzo Vinny G. 151 62759 December 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: Samson1