Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religions and Heresy
Religions and Heresy
Have you ever been to a church. I noticed that most churches I noticed with most churches, you have to belong to the certain denomination in order to participate in the rituals. Not only that, but parents often forbid their children from socializing with chridren from other churches, and will also often forbid them from marrying people from other churches.

Like political parties, religions often divide people into good and bad categories. This is precisely Pat Robertson views atheists as people of the devil, and why Ann Coulter says Muslims should be banned from airlines and instead take a flying carpet to wherever they need to go. Psychologist Darrell Ray writes in his masterful book, The God Virus:

A great deal of religious literature is a response to heresy. Most reiligions claim their literature was handed down by a god, but the god seems to be very concerned with all the heresies of the particular day and time when the scriputres were written. Reading the religious literature of any period in history is a study in the religious protection strategy of the day.

This is the reason I hate most religions: They hold this attitude that "you're with my church or you're against it". Religious people want to partition themselves off into a group where everyone in that group is good and everyone outside of that group is bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE9MixcRO...E&index=19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXuD8IFjR...r7&index=4

But do atheists act like this, too? Yeah, probably. A bigot is a bigot, whether they are religious bigots or atheist bigots. So maybe I'm picking on religious people too much.
RE: Religions and Heresy
Hold on now, there is a huge difference between bigotry and blasphemy. "Bigotry" is when you hate someone else or some other group blindly without good reason. Blasphemy is the noise skeptics make and believers want to silence. Being offensive is not the same as being a bigot.

If I have a friend or family member who went around claiming the moon was made of cheese, why would it be unreasonable to point out to them that that is not true? You can repeat "that is not true" countless times till you get to the point of being blunt "KNOCK IT OFF".

It is the same trap I see PC theists and PC atheist fall for in falling for the word "militant". It is merely an emotional word used to silence any challenge to claims in order to coddle their insecurities.

Christopher Hitchens "I hope I have never unintentionally offended anyone". Note the usage of "unintentionally".

Again, if anyone here atheist or theist thinks what we do as bigoted, you are dead wrong.

Believer, "My car runs on pixy dust"

Skeptic, "No, cars run on gas or electricity"

Believer, "No my car runs on pixy dust"

Skeptic, "Knock it off, your car runs on gas or electricity"

Believer, "Don't insult me by saying knock it off"

Skeptic, "Look dude, I have said it politely as I can"

Believer, "I don't care, I like believing my car runs on pixy dust"

Skeptic, "Ok, moron, but don't expect me to be polite about it"
(October 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Again, if anyone here atheist or theist thinks what we do as bigoted, you are dead wrong.

Hmmm...maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I'm saying about atheists: some of them can think in categories and stereotypes in the same way that religious bigots do. They say "if you do believe in God, then fuck off." I'm just saying that's a bit harsh and inappropriate.
The heresies of xtianity are far more interesting than the dull bullshit which emerged as "orthodoxy."
(October 2, 2013 at 11:30 pm)Minimalist Wrote: The heresies of xtianity are far more interesting than the dull bullshit which emerged as "orthodoxy."

I've debated Eastern Orthodox and I never want to get near one of those fuckers again. They are relentless (and yeah, stupid).

More on topic, I don't believe it makes any difference what you believe. Human is human. We all make the same mistakes. The only thing that's different about us is how we feel about what we do.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
(October 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm)Michael Schubert Wrote:
(October 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Again, if anyone here atheist or theist thinks what we do as bigoted, you are dead wrong.

Hmmm...maybe I wasn't clear enough. What I'm saying about atheists: some of them can think in categories and stereotypes in the same way that religious bigots do. They say "if you do believe in God, then fuck off." I'm just saying that's a bit harsh and inappropriate.

So you are more concerned with merely being offended, than say women and girls sold into marriage, and whipped for being rape victims, or being shot for wanting an education?

You are more concerned about ridicule than our government attempts at controlling the bodies of women?

"Fuck off " Is harsh? Compared to what? Harsher than 9/11? Harsher than the Dark Ages? Harsher than suicide bombers blowing up buses? Harsher than Israel bombing Palestinians? Harsher than the Holocaust?

I think your priorities are out of whack.
I always found the Docetists far more interesting than the virgin-birth, dead-jew-on-a-stick crowd.

Quote:In Christianity, docetism (from the Greek δοκέω [dokeō], "to seem") is the belief that Jesus' physical body was an illusion, as was his crucifixion; that is, Jesus only seemed to have a physical body and to physically die, but in reality he was incorporeal, a pure spirit, and hence could not physically die.

Very oddly, docetism seems to go back to the very beginning...c 70 which is where xtians insist their shit was written.
I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?" He said, "Baptist!" I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?" He said, "Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?" He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off. -- Emo Phillips
Cheerful Charlie

If I saw a man beating a tied up dog, I couldn't prove it was wrong, but I'd know it was wrong.
- Attributed to Mark Twain
Michael; thank you for your input.
I agree with Matt and Jeff Clap

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1815 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  To all religions/What makes you think...... Brian37 22 2698 February 26, 2019 at 8:46 am
Last Post: no one
  Religions Role in Social Movements, Essential or Accidental? Neo-Scholastic 17 3441 October 4, 2018 at 3:58 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Are all religions cults? Aroura 88 10934 September 30, 2018 at 1:41 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3691 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why do the Abrahamic religions hate the female body so much? Rhondazvous 84 10539 June 18, 2018 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Should Governments regulate fraudulent religions? Greatest I am 37 12771 March 23, 2018 at 12:52 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  How I view all the world's religions. Brian37 0 596 March 22, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 10917 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why are most religions agains homosexuality? Der/die AtheistIn 140 22643 December 22, 2017 at 9:48 am
Last Post: Antares