Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:46 pm

Poll: Xbox 360 or PS3
This poll is closed.
Xbox 360
37.50%
6 37.50%
PS3
62.50%
10 62.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have a better question, Xbox 360 or PS3?
I have a better question, Xbox 360 or PS3?
Here is the thing. I am primarily a pc guy. Any games I used to play were always PC, though I haven't gamed in ages. It is however becoming more interesting for me to have a console downstairs and hooked up to the TV than have my PC tower there. So now I am orientating which one to take. Wii is right out, no way I am buying that one.

So that leaves me with 2 real contenders. Xbox 360, or Sony Playstation 3. There seems to be more support for Xbox 360, but a major selling point for me is the Blu-ray capability of the PS3.

So what to do? My main interest is racing, Helicopter sims (but I can do that on my PC so not a real requirement, my transmitter hooks up with the PC), and and GTA series.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: I have a better question, Xbox 360 or PS3?
Why is the Wii right out? I don't have one, but from what I've heard it is insanely fun. I have an Xbox 360, mainly because the games are so good, and the online play is so much fun (and easy to use).

The Xbox 360 has a nice range of racing games, and all the good GTA games. I don't see how Blu-ray is a major selling point. Minor, maybe, but then it all depends on you buying blu-ray movies, or not buying a standalone blu-ray player. The major selling point of the PS3 used to be the fact that you could hack it to use the GPUs as a supercomputer. Apparently they have rendered this 'impossible' in the latest versions.

I'll probably be buying an Xbox 360 Elite this Christmas to replace my old Xbox 360 Pro.
PS3 all the way. It kicks Xbox's ass.
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)
(October 19, 2009 at 5:24 am)Tiberius Wrote: Why is the Wii right out?

Because I am not 12 and have no interested in plumbers and princesses.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(October 19, 2009 at 6:36 am)Arcanus Wrote: PS3 all the way. It kicks Xbox's ass.

Just to qualify my rec - that's so funny Big Grin
I'm an Xbox man. I have no interest in Blu-ray so that definitely weighs in on my choice. I like the Xbox's exclusive library over the PS3's.

As far as racing games go, Gran Tourismo aside, the Xbox360 has a very solid, comparable lineup. You'd probably want to check out the Forza series, which is Microsoft's answer to GT.

For GTA, the 360 is the way to go. Microsoft notoriously paid big bucks for exclusivity on the downloadable episodes (which are coming out on-disc soon, only on Xbox). These definitely give the Xbox an edge for the GTA series. Not to mention the 360 is still backwards compatible, so you can play GTA3, Vice City, or San Andreas either from the original Xbox disc, or by downloads through the Xbox Live Marketplace.

The online experience is debatable. You pay to play on Xbox Live, something like $60USD a year, but you get more features than the PS3's online experience. Sony has been playing catch-up since launch in this area, but they are definitely comparable right now.
- Meatball
I currently own a PS2 and DS, it was my first console. I was never allowed to have a video game console when I was a kid, my mother vehemently was against them, she would rather I go outside and play. Fast forward to today and my 11 year old sister has her own PS2, a Gameboy and DS. Dodgy

Anyway, I will purchase a PS3 in order to play FF13 and Kingdom Hearts when they are released. Till then I have many PS2 games I need to play. I heard they may go out on X-Box too, but I'm happy with the PS brand, I tend to have a preference for PS games. I like RPG turn based games, I'm not a first person shooter kind of person, which is a big domain for X-box. In general, I have specific game series I follow and the PS3 will definitely cater to those tastes, and the blu-ray player is a plus. Big Grin

Ironically, I don't have a PSP, but I like the DS better for a handheld, because I like DS's interactive games such as Pictochat and Mario Kart, which are super fun. I don't feel the need to purchase a PSP.

I will never get a Wii, because I'm just not impressed by it. Plus, it's primary marketing point is that it's a party console. I know many friends that have parties an own a Wii, good enough for me. Plus I hate the controller design and how shaky the wireless is.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
Eilonnwy mentioned something important, Japanese RPGs are definitely prominent on PS3, while the Xbox is more the console for FPS and American-style RPG(Fable, Elder Scrolls) games.

That's actually the clincher for a lot people who love Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior and whatnot.

I can remember having consoles for most of my life. I had a NES growing up, which I loved.

I got a Sega Genesis for Christmas one year, with 6 or 7 games (my parents bought it used from someone, I believe). I still remember the joy of seeing Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition, NHL 94, and Sonic the Hedgehog in that box and nearly having a stroke from the sheer joy.

My next console was an N64, which I bought at the age of 12 with money from a paper route. All of my friends' parents bought them N64s and Playstations and I bought my own, I was pretty proud of myself.

Good memories.
- Meatball
Why not get them both? The xbox 360 has been around long enough to get a good deal on a used one, and as christmas is coming up there will be some good sales for PS3.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys" - P.J. O'Rourke

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success." - Christopher Lasch

(October 19, 2009 at 10:31 am)theblindferrengi Wrote: Why not get them both? The xbox 360 has been around long enough to get a good deal on a used one, and as christmas is coming up there will be some good sales for PS3.

Money. Even with discounted prices they're still expensive for someone like me, living paycheck to paycheck. Plus, I'm not a hardcore gamer. I have some games that I like, as Meatball mentioned, very Japanese RPG oriented, and I don't really have the time or inclination to be an avid gamer. So I can't justify buying more than one console when I don't even regularly use what I have. If I could get FF13 and KH3 for the PS2, I wouldn't bother with the PS3 at all. It's also why I haven't jumped and bought one and won't until the games are released.
(October 19, 2009 at 10:02 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: A few years later that changed and my parents loosened up and said we could have them... and now my other brother and my two sisters can also have them!

When you have a 12 year gap between your middle child and youngest, there's a difference in parenting. Mostly in relation to the lack of near-age sibling and older parents who aren't as aggressive in their parenting. There are many differences in parenting between my older sister and me and my younger sister. It's almost as if my younger sister is an only child.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Is bigger really better? onlinebiker 7 405 February 27, 2022 at 8:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  Fist bumping isn't better for germaphobes Foxaèr 17 2656 September 12, 2021 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 15 735 August 30, 2020 at 7:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Covers that are (in your opinion) better than the origionals Theswordismyleopard 0 183 August 29, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: Theswordismyleopard
  A better gum thread onlinebiker 7 757 May 16, 2019 at 7:25 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1161 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A question I have about Japanese cartoons Alexmahone 10 907 January 7, 2018 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Better late than never! Losty 95 14155 August 7, 2016 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Losty
  Even 69 is better than 96, but not as great as 100 Foxaèr 2 982 April 10, 2016 at 2:05 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  My poop smells better than yours Foxaèr 4 914 January 25, 2016 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus