Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 7:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Science and the story it tells
Science and the story it tells
I wanted to start a thread where we could post some videos about the beauty of science and nature. There are two videos I want to start off with. Video 1 is simply cool. The second video is a Ted talk that you may recognize as being used in the first video. This is a talk from 2008 by Brian cox about the Large Hadron Collider.

My favorite moments in these videos are 1) The quotes about the universe being composed of 12 particles and 4 forces of nature and 2) the Scientific Creation story that Brian Cox paints. It is a beautiful, elegant and simple story. It nearly brings a tear to my eye when thinking about it.

I must admit to being very emotional at the elegant story that science can tell us about our universe and how we fit in it. I NEVER got this emotional when hearing the biblical story of creation nor the biblical explanations of life, but the beauty of science leaves me in tears.
[Image: giphy.gif]
RE: Science and the story it tells
I love that particular song!

Here's my contribution, Minute Pysics!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJ4M7tyLRE
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

I have seen that guy give other explanations before and he is fantastic. That was a great video. Thanks for sharing.
[Image: giphy.gif]
I know he's fairly controversial and not everyone agrees with him but if you want to see a scientist who really, really loves science Lawrence Krauss is hard to beat, for me anyway.

I don't know, I think my personal favorites Tyson and Nye could give him a run for his money.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
I am just awed by my family relationship to all living things. It's a majestic thing. I especially love thinking about the patchwork of bacterial and viral DNA that comprises so much of my genome. Spending a large portion of my life trying to understand the ins and outs of this relationship has been a great privilege, and makes me feel a sense of oneness with my world- my understanding of myself as part of something much larger than myself, and that I am part of such a great and ongoing story.
I agree with you these kind of situations accours in the life but the only thing you need is to have some courage and patience to overcome the situation.
Here's a fun one regarding maths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14-NdQwKz9w
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(October 7, 2013 at 2:20 pm)Zazzy Wrote: I am just awed by my family relationship to all living things. It's a majestic thing. I especially love thinking about the patchwork of bacterial and viral DNA that comprises so much of my genome. Spending a large portion of my life trying to understand the ins and outs of this relationship has been a great privilege, and makes me feel a sense of oneness with my world- my understanding of myself as part of something much larger than myself, and that I am part of such a great and ongoing story.

I know.right? It's almost like a great artist conceived of all this beauty and gave it all to us to witness in awe and hopefully understand that every flower every sunset every painting couldn't possibly have all materialized by chance from a big bang 13 billion years ago. Maybe a creator that didn't want it " provable" that he exist, but more by examining the beauty of creation, and conversing with him in prayer,in solitude, and by living for others that we can come to know him the right way! His way! Not ours.
[youtube]RDDfkKEa2ls[/youtube]

Science in and of itself it so amazing, how to pick just one?
[Image: CheerUp_zps63df8a6b.jpg]
Thanks to Cinjin for making it more 'sig space' friendly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Channel, Jupiter, and it's moon Io. Brian37 6 1264 July 9, 2018 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Science, the Bible and Satan Haipule 9 2330 November 16, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: John V
  Federal Judge Tells Religious Shitiwits in California Minimalist 1 672 August 27, 2016 at 9:32 am
Last Post: A Handmaid
  The science of joy and happiness Detective L Ryuzaki 15 3838 September 7, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Science and Philosophy popsthebuilder 13 2666 June 25, 2015 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Science curriculum called fascist and atheistic little_monkey 20 5569 August 18, 2013 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Tobie
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7632 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Story of homophobia fueled stupidity with a happy ending TaraJo 5 1410 February 1, 2013 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
  Science and Randomness Mark 13:13 49 12547 January 6, 2013 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Questions about God and Science Akincana Krishna dasa 95 27233 October 23, 2012 at 4:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda