Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism and forgiveness
Atheism and forgiveness
A few years ago, I gradually started departing from my Christian beliefs. I never really chose a position though, so to speak. Now, I consider myself atheist agnostic. My question is, for those here who are atheists or atheist agnostic, how do you deal with the issue of forgiveness? Christianity teaches to always be forgiving people who hurt you. To a fault. I accepted so many people into my life who hurt me over and over, and I look back and they didn't deserve my forgiveness or friendship. Now that I don't follow any religion, I don't know how to really view the act of forgiveness anymore? I believe that it is necessary for our own growth and to release ourselves from harboring resentment. But beyond that, does everyone deserve our forgiveness?

Just wondering how some of you view forgiveness?
RE: Atheism and forgiveness
You forgive yourself and NEVER forget who hurt you and then LEARN and move on.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Quote:Christianity teaches to always be forgiving people who hurt you.

I don't care what it "teaches." Ever listen to some of these miserable twats around here. They salivate thinking of their enemies burning in hell for eternity.

Some "forgiveness."
(October 5, 2013 at 11:16 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote: You forgive yourself and NEVER forget who hurt you and then LEARN and move on.

Thank you for this -- it is great advice! Forgiving myself is hardest of all sometimes.
(October 5, 2013 at 11:35 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Christianity teaches to always be forgiving people who hurt you.

I don't care what it "teaches." Ever listen to some of these miserable twats around here. They salivate thinking of their enemies burning in hell for eternity.

Some "forgiveness."
lol! Yup, true that.
One of the greatest contradictions of Christianity is that it teaches how God is always forgiving and wants us to forgive. But, in the same breath, he is sending people to hell who simply don't believe he exists? I should rephrase that then. I interpreted Christianity to be a faith about forgiveness but as I say above--to a fault.

Just spitballing here. I would suggest there is an aspect of forgiveness which derives from compassion; we forgive even those not fully deserving, because we recognize and acknowledge both their and our limits as human beings. Again, just unwinding a thread, if forgiveness is a sort of 'sewing closed' the rips in the fabric of our lives, we recognize that the fabric will never be the same as it was before, and that the new threads which seal the hole are from us. But it is better than living with the holes.

I'll have to give this some thought. They say that the three jewels of Taoism are compassion, humility, and moderation. I've never been particularly good on the compassion part, so, perhaps for me, forgiveness is more having the patience to wait for the ripples to still, and the calm stillness of the surface to reassert itself.

"I have alway found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice."
Abraham Lincoln

"What do I mean by accept disgrace willingly?
Accept being unimportant."
Laozi

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 6, 2013 at 12:17 am)apophenia Wrote:

Just spitballing here. I would suggest there is an aspect of forgiveness which derives from compassion; we forgive even those not fully deserving, because we recognize and acknowledge both their and our limits as human beings. Again, just unwinding a thread, if forgiveness is a sort of 'sewing closed' the rips in the fabric of our lives, we recognize that the fabric will never be the same as it was before, and that the new threads which seal the hole are from us. But it is better than living with the holes.

I'll have to give this some thought. They say that the three jewels of Taoism are compassion, humility, and moderation. I've never been particularly good on the compassion part, so, perhaps for me, forgiveness is more having the patience to wait for the ripples to still, and the calm stillness of the surface to reassert itself.

"I have alway found that mercy bears richer fruits than strict justice."
Abraham Lincoln

"What do I mean by accept disgrace willingly?
Accept being unimportant."
Laozi

I'm completely blown away by your comment. I've never thought of forgiveness in these terms. "It's better than living with the holes."

Choked up and just feeling grateful for your reply. It is something I will remember the next time I feel like being stingy with my own compassion towards someone who hurts me. Thank you.
I think that Kichi and Apo hit their heads on the nail.
To me forgiveness is not so much as actually forgiving, but understanding what the other party's motivations are. In context, I worked for some years as a nurse and I knew from the very beginning that I would come across people I didn't like, didn't agree with their point of view or even worse, have done something criminal. My initial reaction would of course be to get the hell away from such people, but you can't do that when you're working. So instead I tried to understand what events would lead another human being to be in such a position, accept that not everyone would make the same decisions I would and even that criminals are human beings. When I was working with my patients everyone was of equal worth, no matter what their history might have been.
Though, on the topic of people hurting you over and over, some relationships are not healthy and sometimes it's just best not to keep in contact anymore (at least until they can with actions show you that they won't hurt again, words don't matter much in this case). You can forgive, but don't be naïve. Getting hurt falls in the same category for me as getting offended, you decide if an action or a phrase can get to you (though I don't think it's a green light for others to treat you anyway they like without regard of how you take it). Forgiveness should not be something you have to give either, it should be somehow earned by the other party.

(Did that make any sense at all..?)
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Quote:I think that Kichi and Apo hit their heads on the nail.

We did?

Hehe
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Forgiveness is fine - letting them do it to you again - that's dumb.
I can forgive something quite easily, but some of the wrongs done me are utterly unforgivable.

When the clerk at the shop short-changes me - forgiven.

When the postman drops some of my mail outside the letter box and it falls to the ground - forgiven.

The planners and operators of the Remembrance Day Bombing - I hope they die horrible, shrieking deaths, preferably while being skinned alive with a rusty file.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2737 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27101 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Two Undeniable Truths Why Theism is True and Atheism and Agnosticism are Not True HiYou 49 12219 July 21, 2015 at 6:59 am
Last Post: KUSA
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12467 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12138 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Religion, Atheism, and Deism -and the middle ground. Mystic 6 3324 March 9, 2014 at 2:41 am
Last Post: rsb
  What proof and evidence is there for "atheism" to be accurate and correct? SavedByChrist94 42 21751 January 12, 2013 at 7:27 pm
Last Post: Aegrus
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12004 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38075 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack