Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Crocodillema
The Crocodillema
The Crocodillemma: a litmus test for determining how important personal revelation is in the faith position of a religious adherent, and how seriously they can expect others to take their purported convictions regarding that faith.

If someone asserts personal revelation is an important part of their faith, the following question can be used to prompt them to think hard about what that actually means: If you received a message, every bit as compelling as that which convinced you of the existence of your deity, in which that deity instructed you to kill me, how would you react?

There you go, LionIRC - a fresh page on which to demonstrate your ability to answer a question without obfuscation. Go.
RE: The Crocodillema
(October 6, 2013 at 1:16 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote: The Crocodillemma: a litmus test for determining how important personal revelation is in the faith position of a religious adherent, and how seriously they can expect others to take their purported convictions regarding that faith.

If someone asserts personal revelation is an important part of their faith, the following question can be used to prompt them to think hard about what that actually means: If you received a message, every bit as compelling as that which convinced you of the existence of your deity, in which that deity instructed you to kill me, how would you react?

There you go, LionIRC - a fresh page on which to demonstrate your ability to answer a question without obfuscation. Go.

A deity?
Are you talking about God or a saint or what else?
If we talk about God he will never ask you to kill for no reason and beside he can kill anyone anytime so why would ask anybody to kill for him?
If we talk about anyone else then i think is impossible to interfere with God decision so if you believe that some body else send you a message then i say that this message can only come out from nowhere else but your mind which should not be taken seriously.

Religious people may not agree with me especially those who give their own interpretation to religious books like talibans or the Christians of the past. Wink Shades
"If we talk about God he will never ask you to kill for no reason and beside he can kill anyone anytime so why would ask anybody to kill for him?"

Well that is a reasonable supposition, except that not only does he have a history of making that request, he's made of someone regarding that person's own son.

(Hint - the person in question's name began with "A" and ended in "braham".)
(October 6, 2013 at 8:42 am)max-greece Wrote: (Hint - the person in question's name began with "A" and ended in "braham".)

I love the story of Anaprabaybraham. So uplifting! Tongue
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(October 6, 2013 at 8:42 am)max-greece Wrote: "If we talk about God he will never ask you to kill for no reason and beside he can kill anyone anytime so why would ask anybody to kill for him?"

Well that is a reasonable supposition, except that not only does he have a history of making that request, he's made of someone regarding that person's own son.

(Hint - the person in question's name began with "A" and ended in "braham".)

You are free to believe what you think about what is coming from God as the religious people believe just by reading books.
I don't. I first see if the request is logic and make sense and then i let my subconscious work it out by doing meditation.
At the end you know what make sense and what does not.
Now i am going to give you an example how the real truth change in false truth or dogma.
Yesterday i met Mimi and i had a chat with her outside the office.
Nothing really happen, just a chat.
Well Paul coming out the office saw us chatting.
You got to know that Paul always like Mimi but Mimi does not like him.
The next day Paul told the staff at the office that me and Mimi have a relationship.
After another day somebody spread the voice that me and Mimi were kissing inside the toilettes.
The day after as soon as we enter the office everybody look at us with a false smile.

You see how the truth can get distorted?
You got to be careful how you interpret things written ages ago and re written so many times.
Every time you get a different interpretation according to the idea that the writer had about it.
After so much time everything start getting stale like the old milk.
When i got some stale food i use to feed my compost and i assure you that my worms love this staff.Smile
I put the phrase "god told me to kill" in quotes into Google and got 151,000 hits in .4 seconds. Obviously, those messages are sent all the time.
(October 6, 2013 at 1:16 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote: ...If you received a message, every bit as compelling as that which convinced you of the existence of your deity, in which that deity instructed you to kill me, how would you react?

https://www.google.com.au/#q=vietnam+con...on+debates

https://www.google.com.au/#q=capital+punishment+debates
(October 6, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Lion IRC Wrote:
(October 6, 2013 at 1:16 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote: ...If you received a message, every bit as compelling as that which convinced you of the existence of your deity, in which that deity instructed you to kill me, how would you react?

https://www.google.com.au/#q=vietnam+con...on+debates

Yeah. And you claim I'm the one who goes in for bait and switch.
Last time I asked you this question, you managed to run on for several pages without answering, then started a new thread and ran on for eight pages before answering, then contributed to another thread criticising me for applying faulty logic in the construction of the question, without actually demonstrating where the fault lies.

Please answer the question without throwing any more red herrings about. Show the readers here your mettle with regard to personal revelation.
(October 7, 2013 at 2:40 am)worldslaziestbusker Wrote:
(October 6, 2013 at 8:10 pm)Lion IRC Wrote: https://www.google.com.au/#q=vietnam+con...on+debates

Yeah. And you claim I'm the one who goes in for bait and switch.
Last time I asked you this question, you managed to run on for several pages without answering, then started a new thread and ran on for eight pages before answering, then contributed to another thread criticising me for applying faulty logic in the construction of the question, without actually demonstrating where the fault lies.

Please answer the question without throwing any more red herrings about. Show the readers here your mettle with regard to personal revelation.

You got to be patient my boy.
You have been waiting for only few pages for an answer to your question and get upset about it.
I have been waiting 66 pages in the philosophy forum for someone to tell me the meaning of philosophy and so far nobody could answer me.
They talk about everything else but not about the issue.
Maybe one day in the next life they will start to understand the issue.
As the grandma said..............IS NEVER TOO LATE.Smile
Philosophy used to be the closest thing to science around at the time, but has now devolved to mean mental masturbation.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.