Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank the god for science!
Thank the god for science!
My cousin tried getting pregnant for 13 years. Her doctor instructed her to lose weight and receive a certain treatment. After following his instructions my cousin became pregnant with her first baby. Guess what everybody said. Thank God. I capitalize the god's title because it is the title they give him and titles go capitalized. Anyway...

Her baby is now a beautiful 10 month old girl. She was diagnosed with leukemia. Everyone was devastated since my cousin would have to suffer this while being pregnant with her second child. Needless to say people did a lot of praying. Also a lot of doctor consultations. Turns out the baby may live a good life, since chemo will help until baby brother is born, then they will use the umbilical cord stem cells to top that off. Isn't science beautiful? This is so wonderful. Guess what everybody said. Thank God!

http://news.cancerconnect.com/umbilical-...tem-cells/

Thank the god for science. I find three things wrong with this.

Why would the god, given that he existed, allow a baby to be sick and then need chemo, which brings more suffering?
Why would the god need science if he can do it all?
If he is behind science, why does science point out the flaws with the belief in such a being?

What kind of twisted fuck would want to confuse people, sicken people, worry people... Just to test faiths, or for a mysterious purpose?

Cancer sucks. Thank the god for science, man... Because this helps us in our war against cancer. Not that the god has nothing to do with cancer's existence.

Jesus!

Was this supposed to be off topic? Didn't even think about it.
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
RE: Thank the god for science!
Time and again we come up with these arguments that God must be a cunt and therefore doesn't exist.

More and more I am looking for a way to distinguish the argument there is no god, from there is a god but he is a cunt.

I'm not finding it.

There are just too many shit things happening for there not to be an evil God. There are too many people convinced God is good, blindly ignoring all the shit for there not to be an evil God behind it.

I am leaning more and more to what I think is referred to as Maltheism.

Can anyone produce a decent argument against the idea of an evil God - I am at a loss on this one.
Evil or good... Why would he use science to cure? Why thank a god instead of the doctors or researchers? That is what makes me think these people are idiots. Thank the god for science? What makes them think science is due to a god? The fact that it would come from the same god that allowed the cancer to happen is just weird. Why thank a god for anything... But science?

The point is not that the god is evil... The point is they needed science to get what they wanted, yet they thank the god. How does this make sense?

The point is not that the god is evil... The point is they needed science to get what they wanted, yet they thank the god. How does this make sense?
Pointing around: "Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, fuck you, I'm out!"
Half Baked

"Let the atheists come to me, and stop keeping them away, because the kingdom of heathens belongs to people like these." -Saint Bacon
(October 9, 2013 at 3:16 am)Ivy Wrote: Evil or good... Why would he use science to cure? Why thank a god instead of the doctors or researchers? That is what makes me think these people are idiots. Thank the god for science? What makes them think science is due to a god? The fact that it would come from the same god that allowed the cancer to happen is just weird. Why thank a god for anything... But science?

I'm not saying they should be thanking God for anything - quite the reverse - they should be cursing him for what he did and thanking science for undoing his evil.

They, believers in a good god, are deluded - we know that.

My question is - what if there is a God and he is evil? How do we go about disproving that one?

Gotta tell you - I can't.
If that were the case, why wouldn't an evil god be a dick 100% of the time? Shitty things happen to all kinds of people, not just the best kinds, and likewise good things happen to shitty people. It's all chaos, all random, until you do things like poke a grizzly bear in the ass with a stick.

We cannot disprove an evil god just as we cannot disprove a benevolent one. All we can do is look at what we as a highly evolved species know and draw from that, and I personally don't see any reason to believe in any sort of deity.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
(October 9, 2013 at 4:50 am)Heir Apparent Wrote: If that were the case, why wouldn't an evil god be a dick 100% of the time? Shitty things happen to all kinds of people, not just the best kinds, and likewise good things happen to shitty people. It's all chaos, all random, until you do things like poke a grizzly bear in the ass with a stick.

We cannot disprove an evil god just as we cannot disprove a benevolent one. All we can do is look at what we as a highly evolved species know and draw from that, and I personally don't see any reason to believe in any sort of deity.

No - an evil god would keep you guessing doing random "good" shit every so often just to keep the faithful in line.

Compare the good stuff that randomly happens with the bad - there is no comparison. Bad shit = good shit X 10.

To quote Murphy: "If it can go wrong it will."

And Sod: "Murphy was being optimistic."
There is the third option.

An indifferent god.

A god so vast and so remote and operating on a timescale so removed from ours that humans would evolve, rise and become extinct in a metaphorical blink of its eyes.

And given the age and size of the known universe, a much more logical god.

But of course, mere hypothesis on my part.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Again got to go with no on an indifferent God. Too much bad shit for it just to be accident or bad luck or random chance. Sometimes its as if evil God has all but signed his workmanship.

Consider the Titanic for example. A ship they said was unsinkable - sinks on its maiden voyage. Hits the only weather conditions (perfect) where it seems they can go at top speed on the calmest of seas. Those same conditions that mask the presence of an abnormally far South ice-berg. Calm enough so no waves lap or break against the berg. They strike the berg with a glancing blow - just enough to puncture 6 cells - 5 and the ship would have limped home, 7 would have been overkill. Had they hit it head on the ship would not have sunk. They sent the all new call for help SOS to replace the "mayday" call and it was ignored by the nearest ship for reasons we will never know. Everything that could have gone wrong, basically and probably a bunch of things that couldn't.

Just a bad day?
And what exactly is your problem?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
What's my problem?

Lets see:

God exists.
God is evil.
The religious think he's good.
The atheists think he doesn't exist.
The agnostics don't know whether he exists or not.

No-one gets it.

Clear?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Farming? Thank you SOuthern States lizbizdiz 40 3005 July 3, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Thank you. Mystic 51 5575 January 16, 2018 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Thank you, thank you Foxaèr 13 632 July 23, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Thank you all abaris 14 2364 February 1, 2017 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Thank you! Catholic_Lady 60 10860 August 20, 2015 at 11:06 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Thank You Longhorn 34 4979 July 3, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Thank You AF polar bear 5 890 December 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Thank-you: Fun with Lucifer! BlackSwordsman 10 2085 June 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: ShaMan
  Just wanted too say thank you Lemonvariable72 13 3259 September 24, 2013 at 4:49 am
Last Post: Dragonetti
  A thank you... catfish 169 22989 February 15, 2013 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Violet