Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 2:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What A Great Idea!
What A Great Idea!
Vive Quebec!

http://apnews.excite.com/article/2013100...PIUO1.html

Quote: MONTREAL (AP) - Viewed from the outside, Quebec often seems like a place where all life orbits around the political destiny of a French-speaking province in an English-speaking country. The latest instance centers on religious headwear.

The trigger is a heatedly debated plan by the ruling party, the separatist Parti Quebecois, to make the provincial government religion-neutral. It wants to do so by banning symbols of religious faith such as Jewish skullcaps, Sikh turbans, Muslim head scarves and large crucifixes from public work places.
RE: What A Great Idea!
Interesting. What happens when Jews, Muslims, Sikhs etc are unable to carry out their tradition though? Will they all move?
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
Be warned, the French always seem to be so beautifuly secular.......

......... until it comes to catholicism.

Other than that, I dont see why wearing religious symbols whilest working or visiting at a public office should be banned.

That in my opinion is an infringement of the right to selfdetermination.
(October 9, 2013 at 10:20 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Be warned, the French always seem to be so beautifuly secular.......

Other than that, I dont see why wearing religious symbols whilest working or visiting at a public office should be banned.

So should Nazi armbands be banned? KKK Headdresses? The real crimes and violent polarization instigated by these fraudulent superstitions justify banning.

State television is not allowed to publish commercial advertisements with claims that are patently untrue. One can allow unfettered self determination without allowing fraudulent and dishonest behavior. Having disclaimers and BS warnings during public religious proselytizations would quickly dry up the believer crowd.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(October 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm)Brakeman Wrote:
(October 9, 2013 at 10:20 pm)The Germans are coming Wrote: Be warned, the French always seem to be so beautifuly secular.......

So should Nazi armbands be banned? KKK Headdresses? The real crimes and violent polarization instigated by these fraudulent superstitions justify banning.

Well I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but in the States both the Neo-Nazi's and the KKK are protected under the 1st Amendment, as are the Westboro "Baptist" Church.

I'm not sure I see the correlation between generally harmless traditional religious garb and extremist groups either.
No creator in the heavens above (I am the lightning)
Rest your weary mind
No demons in the furnace below (I am the frenzy)
I have realized I AM GOD
(October 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm)Brakeman Wrote: So should Nazi armbands be banned? KKK Headdresses? The real crimes and violent polarization instigated by these fraudulent superstitions justify banning.

State television is not allowed to publish commercial advertisements with claims that are patently untrue. One can allow unfettered self determination without allowing fraudulent and dishonest behavior. Having disclaimers and BS warnings during public religious proselytizations would quickly dry up the believer crowd.
Wait, you think Sikhs have carried out violent crimes? ROFLOL Sikhs are some of the most peaceful motherfuckers in the world.
(October 9, 2013 at 10:44 pm)futilethewinds Wrote:
(October 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm)Brakeman Wrote: So should Nazi armbands be banned? KKK Headdresses? The real crimes and violent polarization instigated by these fraudulent superstitions justify banning.

Wait, you think Sikhs have carried out violent crimes? ROFLOL Sikhs are some of the most peaceful motherfuckers in the world.

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. You might be confusing Sikhism with Janism. Sikh's have had their fair share of terrorism in the past and there is constant fear in India that it will be resurrected (sponsored by Pakistan in the main).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_India_Flight_182 - An Indian Airlines plane - "A total of 329 people were killed, including 268 Canadians, 27 British citizens and 24 Indians."
(October 9, 2013 at 10:44 pm)futilethewinds Wrote:

Eh... You might want to look into that. Tongue

Only if people were ducks.
(October 10, 2013 at 5:50 am)The Germans are coming Wrote: Only if people were ducks.

What a canard!

{ [for the non-Europeans] Canard in English = misleading story, Canard in French = Duck}

(October 9, 2013 at 10:39 pm)Heir Apparent Wrote:

Well I don't know about anywhere else in the world, but in the States both the Neo-Nazi's and the KKK are protected under the 1st Amendment, as are the Westboro "Baptist" Church.

I'm not sure I see the correlation between generally harmless traditional religious garb and extremist groups either.

Why should the first amendment protect the right to lie and mislead the public? Simply forcing them to be factual and non-fraudulent would dry up their support. I don't see the issue. Simply put, you should have the right to be stupid all you want, and tell people about your stupidity all you want too, but you are refrained from making known un-factual statements.

Nazi extremist - Got mit uns, very strong (at least internal) Christian support.
KKK - very strong christian support
Al-Qaeda - very strong muslim support

That's a pretty good correlation to me. If any of the groups had been irreligious, they would be unknown to us, without support.
Find the cure for Fundementia!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3272 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disappointment in God's idea purplepurpose 19 3339 December 4, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
Question My mom's idea of a good path Der/die AtheistIn 6 1089 November 27, 2017 at 2:19 am
Last Post: chorlton
  God is great WinterHold 32 5123 August 2, 2017 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  Liberalism's Great Challenge? Minimalist 20 3345 September 10, 2016 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Hitchens '07: God is not Great Czechlervitz30 32 4681 August 2, 2016 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  What A Fantastic Idea! Minimalist 4 1101 July 3, 2016 at 10:57 am
Last Post: account_inactive
Question Heaven seems awful 2 me-"Theist laughs at loudly & with great cruelty" fruyian 141 16457 May 18, 2016 at 4:31 am
Last Post: robvalue
  An Old Idea I Had About The (Hebrew) Word "Adam" (relates to Quran also) ReptilianPeon 1 1454 February 5, 2016 at 5:21 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Some great news for a change! Simon Moon 21 6307 January 7, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist