Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 8:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Paranormal Challenge
The Paranormal Challenge
I figure this is old news, but since I can't find a thread for it, I'll make one.

"In 1964, Randi began offering a prize of $US1000 to anyone who could demonstrate a paranormal ability under agreed-upon testing conditions. This prize has since been increased to $US1 million in bonds and is now administered by the JREF as the One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge. Since its inception, more than 1000 people have applied to be tested. To date no one has either been able to demonstrate their claimed abilities under the testing conditions or have not fulfilled the foundation conditions for taking the test; the prize money still remains to be claimed."

I think that is a definant score for science, and a smack to faith.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
RE: The Paranormal Challenge
JREF = heroes
I'm reminded of those psychics who failed a scientific test.
(October 10, 2013 at 2:01 am)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: I think that is a definant score for science, and a smack to faith.

Not really as it only demonstrates that humans don't appear have the ability to harness and control the supernatural at their own whim. These things will only occur by the grace of God. That said many ordinary people do often experience strange and unusual phenomenon. For instance when grandmother fell down the the stairs and broke her leg my mother knew something was wrong and called for some to check on her. But this isn't something you can test and analyse in Randi's lab so she won't win his million dollar prize.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.

Shameless plug. The JREF forum is one of the best internet forums for skepticism and debate of claims that I've encountered. It's a large, very active community, with an abundance of knowledgable members. Highly recommended, if you're into that sort of thing.

http://forums.randi.org/

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 10, 2013 at 8:28 am)Sword of Christ Wrote:
(October 10, 2013 at 2:01 am)Beta Ray Bill Wrote: I think that is a definant score for science, and a smack to faith.

Not really as it only demonstrates that humans don't appear have the ability to harness and control the supernatural at their own whim. These things will only occur by the grace of God. That said many ordinary people do often experience strange and unusual phenomenon. For instance when grandmother fell down the the stairs and broke her leg my mother knew something was wrong and called for some to check on her. But this isn't something you can test and analyse in Randi's lab so she won't win his million dollar prize.

You do realize that 2000 years ago, common men were doing the supernatural every day. You know why? Because people could claim ANYTHING was true back then. People spread BS like wildfire. Once man started becoming more scientific, and less superstitious, POOF! The miracles went from incredible, to just recordings of fluke occurances. You'll hear plenty of reports of "sixth-sense" feelings, everyone has those, but there are no more wizards changing the weather or growimg limbs back for people. Mankind could never do the supernatural, but we've always been able to deceive or more often, misunderstand.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
- Buddha
"Anyone wanting to believe Jesus lived and walked as a real live human being must do so despite the evidence, not because of it."
- Dennis McKinsey
No one will ever win the paranormal challenge, I have a special gift and know this to be true.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Funny how psychic abilities always seem to totally diminish in laboratory controlled conditions.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: No one will ever win the paranormal challenge, I have a special gift and know this to be true.

[Image: dogbert-the-quantifier.png]

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 10, 2013 at 8:28 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: Not really as it only demonstrates that humans don't appear have the ability to harness and control the supernatural at their own whim.

What is noteworthy to me is that so many people believe those claims anyway. There are probably still lots of people who believe that Uri Geller possesses psychic abilities, even though his claimed were embarrassingly debunked by James Randi. People will believe lots of things that can be demonstrated as false, so it's no surprise that they'll accept things that cannot be demonstrated at all, weird as that sounds.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Find the Supernova Challenge orogenicman 5 2389 April 20, 2012 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: orogenicman