Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do some Atheists change?
Why do some Atheists change?
I am sure some of you know who of Antony Flew. He was an Atheist all his life but the last few years before he died he became a Deist. Is it age? Getting closer to death some might change, figuring what the hell can't hurt. Maybe he really did see the light, or maybe something else. I can't see myself jumping ship many of you don't think you will ever but who knows.

Manowar
RE: Why do some Atheists change?
(October 11, 2013 at 9:32 am)Manowar Wrote: I am sure some of you know who of Antony Flew. He was an Atheist all his life but the last few years before he died he became a Deist. Is it age? Getting closer to death some might change, figuring what the hell can't hurt. Maybe he really did see the light, or maybe something else. I can't see myself jumping ship many of you don't think you will ever but who knows.

Manowar

Deism is atheism with poetic flourishes.

Don't make too much of this "conversion".
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
People change for any number of reasons. Deism and atheist don't really differ by all that much. One posits that there is an unknowable aspect of the universe that exists outside of it that might be best described as "the first cause" or "the prime mover." The other posits that there is no evidence for it and they don't believe it.

Doesn't really mean that has to be a god though or even a consciousness at all. Just that initial push...

World would be a better place if more theists would consider deism.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(October 11, 2013 at 9:36 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Deism is atheism with poetic flourishes.

That's one hell of a flourish.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 11, 2013 at 9:49 am)apophenia Wrote:
(October 11, 2013 at 9:36 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: Deism is atheism with poetic flourishes.

That's one hell of a flourish.

It is a pretty tiny flourish when compared to what theists add to deism. [Image: coffeedrinker.gif]
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 11, 2013 at 9:49 am)apophenia Wrote: That's one hell of a flourish.

Why, thank you. We're very pleased with it.

Blush
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Because they where they're obviously going wrong in their reasoning and understand they're being a bit daft. Deism is pointless though you can do a bit better than that.
Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
I think it is natural enough be so struck with wonder by our experience of consciousness and our current inability to explain it empirically that we begin to wonder ... woo, what else is conscious? How long does this consciousness last? Is it inter-related in some way? Is there a mother-of-all-consciousnesses out there somewhere, perhaps a great white consciousness (arhh).

I am one of those. Damned amazing. But I don't expect to find any transpersonal woo. I'm just fascinated by the phenomenology of consciousness in the way it arises in one brain and speculation about its (natural) origins. I have no problem making sense of how ideas regarding "soul", "spirit" and "god" could arise against the background of what we all experience.

(October 11, 2013 at 9:59 am)Sword of Christ Wrote: Because they where they're obviously going wrong in their reasoning and understand they're being a bit daft. Deism is pointless though you can do a bit better than that.

Getting a little testy there. May I suggest a redesign of your user name?

How about "Not Very Christlike Tool of Christ"? Like it?
What if I saw an amazing T-Rex last night, but only I noticed and the neighboorhood remains intact? I tell you! it is true!
(October 11, 2013 at 10:19 am)LastPoet Wrote: What if I saw an amazing T-Rex last night, but only I noticed and the neighboorhood remains intact? I tell you! it is true!

All I hear from people like Sword

[Image: giphy.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 7053 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2102 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1034 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Climate change crisis and God's wrath Eclectic 4 529 August 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2871 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1989 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Why did I (an atheist) legally change my name to "God"? GodBennett 33 3304 July 17, 2020 at 5:49 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Why did I (an atheist) change my name legally to "God"? GodBennett 0 3270 July 4, 2020 at 10:13 am
Last Post: GodBennett
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8172 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
  Why Are Atheists so Stupid Neo-Scholastic 125 15495 October 7, 2018 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: LastPoet