Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK, now they're starting to scare me...
OK, now they're starting to scare me...
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/the-hous...a-shutdown

It seems a last minute rules change in the House right before shutdown gave Boehner unlimited power to block any effort by the Senate to pass a clean government restart bill. There are already more than enough Republicans in the House who are feeling the heat and calling for an end to this madness but unless King Boehner decides to let them vote on it, it can't be done.

I'm not sure what can be done now. I wonder if a court injunction can be called on in time to prevent our default on the debt. This frankly is an abuse of power. Only the Senate has the power to filibuster a bill and even this power isn't concentrated into the hands of one man.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: OK, now they're starting to scare me...
It is imperative that liberal activists do not let the country forget that Republicans are to blame for both the shutdown and the default, if that happens, so that we can finally flush that filthy toilet next November.
This is all a foreshadow of the coming antichrist™ - REPENT! Or the all loving god will have you sent to hell!!! (by himself in the form of his son) Devil
I'm still confused. The GOP has asked for two things:

1. The penalty/tax for not abiding by ObamaCare is suspend for a year for individuals the same way it has already been suspended for businesses. Seems reasonable. I don't understand the Democrat position on this.

2. All U.S. citizens are subject to ObamaCare without better care being granted to certain members of government. Again, a reasonable request.

This is the extent of GOP demands regarding ObamaCare. That's it, nothing more.
First, that is NOT only what they asked for. They demanded that the PPACA be fully defunded.

Second, the method of "asking" was an act of extortion. A minority of House Republicans put a gun to the head of the entire American Federal budget and caused a government shut down. Further, they then threatened to not raise the debt ceiling before October 17th, causing serious damage to the American (and resulting from that, the global) economy. They DEMANDED that the President "negotiate." It was never, ever a negotiation. Want to get rid of Obamacare? Elect enough nutjobs to Congress who think the same as you and do it through the usual legislative remedies available to you.

Third, Obama is in the cat bird seat. Did your Tea Party advocates somehow miss this? He is fed up to the teeth with their antics; he need not concern himself with reelection. Whatever anger and resentment sloshes onto him from voters as a result of this 3-ring circus, it will not damage him as much as the idiot ring leaders. And none of it will damage Hillary's brand in 2016. Can you think of ANYONE more likely to defend his health care agenda continuing into the future than her? I can't. The way things are going, I suspect she'll have a Democratic House to work with when she gets there, too. Thank you!!!

Fourth, as I explained in another thread, the reason for suspending penalty for compliance for business is because it is way more complicated for businesses to figure out how to comply than for individuals. The rules are complex, hard to understand for laypersons and overwhelming. Businesses must sort out if they are categorized as a large or small business; if large, whether the group plan they offer is considered "affordable" within the guidelines; if no plan offered, will it be less expensive to offer one or to encourage employees into the Exchanges; how health care premiums will be paid if some employees elect coverage through the Exchanges; whether such premiums may still qualify for tax-favored treatment for the individuals; etc., etc. On the side of individuals, it is simple: Enroll, or face a penalty. Does this finally make sense to you now?

Last, you'll have to show your basis for the assertion that "All U.S. citizens are subject to Obamacare without better care being granted to certain members of government." Are you saying that government saves all the "good" health care for themselves? Are the doctors who treat Congress critters somehow better than your own doctor? Gee, you should switch doctors, then! How is their care "better" than what is available to you through the PPACA? And be careful, because if you say they can participate in a plan something akin to Medicare and the rest of us cannot, well... that's all many of us wanted in the first place. That IS single payer health care.
I agree, You cannot change the law in this manner by holding a budget hostage.

If you want to change the law, do so with legislation as is prescribed.

This is a refusal to execute a fundamental duty for a political point.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(October 15, 2013 at 1:18 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: If you want to change the law, do so with legislation as is prescribed.

The problem is that Republicans know they don't have that kind of power any more. The only thing they can do is hold the budget hostage.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(October 15, 2013 at 9:10 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote:
(October 15, 2013 at 1:18 am)Moros Synackaon Wrote: If you want to change the law, do so with legislation as is prescribed.

The problem is that Republicans know they don't have that kind of power any more. The only thing they can do is hold the budget hostage.

Which is deliciously ironic, given that they spew constantly about strict interpretation of the Constitution and the rule of law... except it's doing so much harm to our citizens, as well as panicking governments abroad.
(October 15, 2013 at 10:29 am)Raeven Wrote: Which is deliciously ironic, given that they spew constantly about strict interpretation of the Constitution and the rule of law...

They also talk a lot about "personal responsibility". Needless to say, they never take responsibility for disasters on their watch. After the greatest national security debacle in our nation's history, W promoted the national security adviser to secretary of state. Their sense of "personal responsibility" has gone downhill since.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
I envisage a great many "Congressmen" out of a job come the next elections
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The prospect of starting a family in today's economic system Macoleco 23 2365 October 3, 2021 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  People do not know how close they really are until they start a war with somebody WinterHold 5 952 October 10, 2019 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  I'm starting to just get exhausted of this adminstration what about you? GODZILLA 34 3258 December 8, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  So I guess since the GOP is in power now they really don't give a fuck about this now GODZILLA 3 1239 June 29, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The WLB Effect Is Starting To Take Hold Minimalist 0 592 July 6, 2017 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  So will Trump and his supporters understand that they won't always get what they want NuclearEnergy 0 956 April 29, 2017 at 7:25 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy
  They can have my c*ck when they pry it from my cold dead hand... Doubting Thomas 19 4345 March 14, 2017 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  I think I'm starting to recognize the real issue with American politics now NuclearEnergy 24 5440 January 15, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why do women slut shame men? They should slut shame women more than they already do Errol Monite 148 17143 June 2, 2016 at 11:02 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  They’re all bought and sold: American democracy belongs to the billionaires now Heat 70 8455 February 7, 2016 at 2:50 am
Last Post: GrandizerII